X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

"In Confidence" with Nigel Kennedy

I've always found Our Nige deeply annoying, but I'll watch this in the hope that it might change my mind! This series is always worth watching- it is probably the only intelligent interview show left on television.

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    I've always found Our Nige deeply annoying, but I'll watch this in the hope that it might change my mind! This series is always worth watching- it is probably the only intelligent interview show left on television.

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

You've watched the recent lengthy BBC interviews between David Hockney and Andrew Marr then, Mr Pee?

I always understood that Kennedy spoke very well of you, btw

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Thanks for that, Mr Pee. I had not realised that a new series had begun. I did not see all the previous programmes, but I remember some good interviews, including
      Kathy Burke and Peter Maxwell Davies. Like you I enjoy the gimmick-free nature of the interviews (modelled on John Freeman, I think, and his memorable Face to Face series). Some members might not like to read this, but I am sure that, if this was on one of the terrestrial channels (as I still think of them), it would have to be 'spiced up' with all sorts of trivia. The advantages of satellite channels again!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        . Like you I enjoy the gimmick-free nature of the interviews (modelled on John Freeman, I think, and his memorable Face to Face series)
        As created by the BBC in 1959, revived by the BBC with Jeremy Isaacs in 1989 - a well-tested format but scarcely cutting edge
        Last edited by Guest; 18-03-12, 22:36. Reason: tidying up

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          As created by the BBC in 1959, revived by the BBC with Jeremy Isaacs in 1989 - a well-tested format but scarcely cutting edge
          To make sure I know what is actually meant by the expression 'cutting edge', as used by the young these days, I consulted Cambridge Dictionaries Online and came up with:

Definition - very modern and with all the newest features

So Face to Face (1959) is not 'cutting edge'!

However, this is a quote from the BBC website:
          Fifty years on the programmes still shine, remarkable for their relentless camera close-ups and Freeman's forensic questioning, bringing celebrities to television screens as never before.

Something worth preserving, in my view.

Here's the complete reference:

Sue MacGregor examines the work of John Freeman on the pioneering TV series Face to Face.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

1989 was an awful long time ago, and such intelligent interviewing- at least on television- has long since been dumped by the BBC in favour of Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross, Sarah Millican, etc., etc. Honestly, can you imagine the BBC devoting an hour of peak-time broadcasting to a one on one interview with a classical musician?

However, I'm glad you mentioned Jeremy Isaacs. You must have forgotten that Isaacs was the founder of the Artsworld channel, which would have long since gone into liquidation had Sky not taken a 50% share in 2007, rebranding it as Sky Arts, with- yes, you guessed it- Jeremy Isaacs as Chairman.

Really, amateur. Do your research......
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Presumably this one has been pre-recorded to cut out the swear words?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I have seen a fair few interviews on this programme, and believe me, I concour, one of the best of it's type!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

1989 was an awful long time ago, and such intelligent interviewing- at least on television- has long since been dumped by the BBC in favour of Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross, Sarah Millican, etc., etc. Honestly, can you imagine the BBC devoting an hour of peak-time broadcasting to a one on one interview with a classical musician?

However, I'm glad you mentioned Jeremy Isaacs. You must have forgotten that Isaacs was the founder of the Artsworld channel, which would have long since gone into liquidation had Sky not taken a 50% share in 2007, rebranding it as Sky Arts, with- yes, you guessed it- Jeremy Isaacs as Chairman.

Really, amateur. Do your research......
                  I was hoping that you'd notice that, Mr Pee

I assume that all the hour-long arts interviews that Alan Yentob has been doing for years under the Imagine heading have passed you by because you're tucked up in bed under your Soar-Away Sun F1 duvet cover at that hour

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

You must have forgotten that Isaacs was the founder of the Artsworld channel, which would have long since gone into liquidation had Sky not taken a 50% share in 2007, rebranding it as Sky Arts, with- yes, you guessed it- Jeremy Isaacs as Chairman.
                    Did you manage to make a killing on the share transfer, Mr Pee?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Did you manage to make a killing on the share transfer, Mr Pee?
                      I wish.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

I assume that all the hour-long arts interviews that Alan Yentob has been doing for years under the Imagine heading have passed you by because you're tucked up in bed under your Soar-Away Sun F1 duvet cover at that hour
                        Well, the fact I might be tucked up means that they're not shown at 8pm peak time, but apart from that, the Imagine programmes are a very different beast to the In Confidence series. The latter is quite simply Laurie Taylor in one chair, and the interviewee facing him in another; and that's it. Whereas Imagine is usually short snippets of interview interspersed with location filming and Alan Yentob wandering about talking to the camera. Not the same at all. That's why I said in my OP that it is the only intelligent INTERVIEW show left on TV.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Well, the fact I might be tucked up means that they're not shown at 8pm peak time, but apart from that, the Imagine programmes are a very different beast to the In Confidence series. The latter is quite simply Laurie Taylor in one chair, and the interviewee facing him in another; and that's it. Whereas Imagine is usually short snippets of interview interspersed with location filming and Alan Yentob wandering about talking to the camera. Not the same at all. That's why I said in my OP that it is the only intelligent INTERVIEW show left on TV.
                          We agree Mr Pee - it's the only interview programme currently on TV with Laurie Taylor and no moving about

Why is it a television programme then? Sounds like radio to me

Oh no, that was In The Psychiatrist's Chair with that nice Clare Anthony, innit. And then it was on BBC TV.

Yes the Sky programme is quite unique

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Yes the Sky programme is quite unique
                            At last. The penny has dropped. We got there in the end.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Where does one go to have an irony by-pass? I think I could do with one too.

Comment

Working...
                              X