X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
    Setting aside these Bugatti identificaton issues; I just fired up the iPlayer on my TV and wasted an hour watching the F1 highlights.
    There was not a single moment of excitement or tension!
    I can only sympathise with anyone who paid to watch this glorified procession on Rupert's Rip-off Magic lantern.
    You are joking aren't you??

Button's great drive, taking the lead from Hamilton at the start.....Kimi Raikonnen's superb overtake on Kobayashi... Vettel going around the outside to overtake Rosberg, a move that was quite brilliant- and brave.....Alonso working his way up from 12th to 5th......that great battle on the last lap for the final points positions.... there was incident and excitement from beginning to end.

I thought this was a fascinating and exciting race, from start to finish. It must have been a very poor highlights package if it made it seem boring.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Mr Pee, has anyone told you that the Guardian had a supplement on the new F1 season? I'm devastated that my favourite newspaper has sunk so low

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

I believe amateur51 was correct....
        The car was a rear engined Auto-Union Type D. Nuvolari joined the team in 1938 and won the Italian and Donington Grands Prix. The car was a 6.0 Litre V16 producing 520 BHP.
        anotherbob,

We appear to be referring to different years.
        The 1935 Pau GP was won by Nuvolari in an Alfa Romeo with Dreyfus second. ( The car even has an Alfa radiator on the front ! )

He certainly did join Auto Union several years later, in fact I think it was he who struck a deer at high speed practising for the British GP at Donongton.

Comment

• anotherbob
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gamba View Post
          anotherbob,

We appear to be referring to different years.
          Indeed we are

The 1935 Pau GP was won by Nuvolari in an Alfa Romeo with Dreyfus second. ( The car even has an Alfa radiator on the front ! )

He certainly did join Auto Union several years later, in fact I think it was he who struck a deer at high speed practising for the British GP at Donongton.
          I was referring to the video posted in post #20 which shows the 1938 Donington GP.
          Isn't it splendid that we can just click and see these wonderful films?

Comment

• gamba
            Late member
            • Dec 2010

Caliban,

I shall pretend I never saw this picture - are you trying to stop me sleeping at night, fighting off lurid images of such desecration that would make brave men weep !!

Comment

• anotherbob
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              You are joking aren't you??
              No... why would I?

Button's great drive, taking the lead from Hamilton at the start.....Kimi Raikonnen's superb overtake on Kobayashi... Vettel going around the outside to overtake Rosberg, a move that was quite brilliant- and brave.....Alonso working his way up from 12th to 5th......that great battle on the last lap for the final points positions.... there was incident and excitement from beginning to end.

I thought this was a fascinating and exciting race, from start to finish. It must have been a very poor highlights package if it made it seem boring.
              We must agree to differ. One man's "fascinating and exciting" is another man's "tedious and dull".

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

Indeed we are

I was referring to the video posted in post #20 which shows the 1938 Donington GP.
                Isn't it splendid that we can just click and see these wonderful films?
                Understood & thank you anotherbob.

Comment

• anotherbob
                  • Sep 2011

Caliban,

I shall pretend I never saw this picture - are you trying to stop me sleeping at night, fighting off lurid images of such desecration that would make brave men weep !!
                  If you wanted a Bugatti for towing then surely the Royale would be the one.
                  I'm sure I read somewhere that motors intended for the Royale were used in railcars.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Caliban,

Apologies! They were an eccentric family!!!

And I don't think they could run to a Royale, anotherbob
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Mr Pee, has anyone told you that the Guardian had a supplement on the new F1 season? I'm devastated that my favourite newspaper has sunk so low
                      Well, even the Grauniad can't get it wrong ALL the time.....
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Well, even the Grauniad can't get it wrong ALL the time.....
                        Whereas the owners of NI seem to manage this trick perfectly

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Now now, MrGG - no point scoring please. I was simply, out of the goodness of my heart, trying to cheer Mr Pee up by pointing out that even commie scum have their good points & can evince an interest in motor racing.

Comment

• anotherbob
                            • Sep 2011

So..... the Malaysian Grand Prix turns out to be another example of a race where such tension as there was came about as a result of weather conditions and choices made in the pits. Roll on full size Scalextric

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

So..... the Malaysian Grand Prix turns out to be another example of a race where such tension as there was came about as a result of weather conditions and choices made in the pits. Roll on full size Scalextric

'Twas ever thus. Wet weather has always been a great leveller. If you really think that what the drivers were doing had absolutely no impact on the tension of the race, then you really are watching the wrong sport, I'd spend the time doing something else in future if I were you.

The knife-edge driving performances coupled with the 'joker in the pack' effect of the weather produced a pretty gripping event I thought.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• anotherbob
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                [COLOR="#0000FF"]
                                If you really think that what the drivers were doing had absolutely no impact on the tension of the race, then you really are watching the wrong sport.....
                                I would agree with you had I been actually watching it. I gave up watching it years ago. This morning I was clearing out my garage accompanied by commentary on BBC Radio 5 live.

Comment

Working...
                                X