X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born
    • Sep 2024

Irreverent Associations

I'm currently listening to the 'The Blue Danube' on Private Passions, a tune with which I always associate the words 'Anti-Gravity Toilet' owing to its use in a particular sequence in Stanley Kubrick's '2001 A Space Odyssey'. It would be a comfort to know that I'm not the only person who reacts to certain pieces in this way....
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

You mean like Prokofiev's "Were's the piggy, there's the piggy" ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Not sure what you're referring to, MrGongGong.
      In the Kubrick film, as the shuttle 'waltzes' around the space station, Keir Dullea is seen carefully reading the instructions relating to the use of the anti-gravity toilet.
      It's sobering to realize that it's some 43 years since I first saw '2001' at the old ABC cinema in Southampton.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        In the Kubrick film, as the shuttle 'waltzes' around the space station, Keir Dullea is seen carefully reading the instructions relating to the use of the anti-gravity toilet.
        It's sobering to realize that it's some 43 years since I first saw '2001' at the old ABC cinema in Southampton.
        ...and I bet there are millions out there that don't know there are 30 minutes more great music after the intro to Also Sprach.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Mahler 7 "Nachtmusik I" and Castrol GTX

(Of course there are endless such associations thanks to the bloody advertising industry... Handel's "Lascia ch'io panga" and the Harrods Sale... &c &c)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Bizet's Toreador Song and "Ze Esso Sign means 'appy motoring/ Esso Sign/ 'appy motoring. Ca-a-al at ze-e Esso Sign......"

Sadly the only ones I can find on YouTube are the older ones
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

There's of course the (in)famous theme from Orff's Carmina Burana, used countless times to sell equivalences in rubbish of all kinds.

Comment

• amateur51

Keir Dullea. of whom Noel Coward was heard to remark "Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow"

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Charlie Drake conducting and playing most of the instruments in 1812 Ov. And while telling Tchaikovsy the news Roy Wood using the same Ov for 'Night of Fear' and nicking the intro to Beethoven 5 for Roll Over Beethoven!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I regret to say that the opening of Elgar's 'Introduction and Allegro' reminds me of a certain brand of whisky that one was allegedly able to take anywhere. Ken Russell may have been at least partially responsible for this.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody (No 2?) in the version played here

Breve e divertentissimo cartone animato che fa ormai parte dei classici.A 63 anni di distanza (fu realizzato il 26 aprile 1946) è ancora un gran bel pezzo di...

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Breve e divertentissimo cartone animato che fa ormai parte dei classici.A 63 anni di distanza (fu realizzato il 26 aprile 1946) è ancora un gran bel pezzo di...

It really is a brilliant 2nd rhapsody

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I haven't seen that for years - thank you so much for the link!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

I don't want to spoil it for those that love it
                            I don't see a black slab when I hear Ligeti's requiem though

There is , of course, the opening of Schoenbergs chamber symphony and Star Trek but I think that's intentional ? or even logical ?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              There is , of course, the opening of Schoenbergs chamber symphony and Star Trek but I think that's intentional ? or even logical ?
                              Ich spĆ¼re Duft von anderen Planeten

Comment

Working...
                              X