X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Gergiev Documentary, 8pm 16th March

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

Looks well worth a watch!!

Perhaps it might help me understand how on earth an orchestra can follow him!!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    http://skyarts.sky.com/tchaikovsky-on-the-road

Looks well worth a watch!!

Perhaps it might help me understand how on earth an orchestra can follow him!!
    I had similar thoughts when I saw Alexander Gibson conducting the Scottish Opera some years ago. There might have been a beat somewhere, but I couldn't see one. Presumably the performers were used to him.

Can any of the orchestral players on here comment?

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Just watched this and it was fascinating; seeing extensive footage of Gergiev in rehearsal has helped me understand how he gets the results that he does- and it was interesting that some of the players admitted that to outsiders it may seem a complete mystery how they follow him; but as Gergiev himself said, every musician has the music inside their head before they play it, the conductor's job is to give it shape and emotion, not lay down a metronomic beat, and the Kirov just seem to be attuned to his unusual technique. Even some of his verbal instructions to the players seemed almost like riddles, but yet again, they seem to understand. I was feeling a bit sorry for the principal clarinet at one point, who was very much in Gergiev's firing line, until he blamed his reed- number 1 in the Clarinettist's book of excuses. I should know, I've used it myself!!

This was also an interesting look at the orchestra as they toured Europe and it was good to see them relaxing outside the concert hall as well as performing and rehearsing within.

Another gem from Sky Arts!
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Another gem from Sky Arts!
        By which you mean 'another gem produced and paid for by Sky Arts out of its subscribers' fees' Mr Pee or 'another gem paid for & produced by someone else and licensed to Sky Arts for filling up its airtime at the touch of a button'?

A significant difference, I'd suggest

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          By which you mean 'another gem produced and paid for by Sky Arts out of its subscribers' fees' Mr Pee or 'another gem paid for & produced by someone else and licensed to Sky Arts for filling up its airtime at the touch of a button'?

A significant difference, I'd suggest
          Not sure, but it was a cracking documentary. The kind of programme that would have been a highlight of the week on the BBC, whether produced by them or not, and no doubt discussed at length on this very board. But on Sky Arts, it's just another day at the office....

Anyway, whether my subscription paid for this particular film or not, some of my fees are going into this:-

Sky Arts opens applications for established organisations and emerging artists to get some much-needed money

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

The kind of programme that would have been a highlight of the week on the BBC.
            Sad but true. This was what might have been in the schedules for BBC2 on a Saturday evening in the days before it became nothing more than a home for wall-to-wall snooker, darts and Dad's Army repeats.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
            X