Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

I would have thought that the modern term 'straight' for a heterosexual might well be deemed much more objectionable (from a homosexual point of view)
    Oh we love the word 'straight' scotty. The late-lamented Drew Griffiths at the 1978 Gay Times Festival in London came to the footlights at one point, in full Aunt Minnie drag, and said:

"My parents were straight.

Straight as in 'narrow'

Straight as in 'laced'

Strait as in jacket'"

[it was a sound gag: you had to be there ]
    Last edited by Guest; 19-03-12, 13:18. Reason: shocking trypos

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      But the more serious issue, surely, is that no term should be forced on anyone that offends them or makes them feel belittled or outsiders; and the test for that should be subjective.

And it means that you have to listen to people - & realise that, just possibly, what they say about their experience and feelings is rather more valid than what you think they should be.

(pabs - the 'you' above doesn't mean you )

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Oh we love the word 'straight' scotty. The late-lamented Drew Griffiths at the 1978 Gay Times Festival in London came to the footlights at one point, in full Aunt Minnie drag, and said:

"My parents were straight.

Straght as in 'narrow'

Straight as in 'laced'

Strait as in jacket'"

[it was a sound gag: you had to be there ]

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          ...(pabs - the 'you' above doesn't mean you )
          Thank you - I'm quite capable of misunderstanding, though I'm sure I got it right this time!

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Oh dear, sorry, didn't mean to suggest that I thought you wouldn't understand! Just thought I'd better make it absolutely clear!

Perhaps it's better to use 'people' instead of 'you'.

Comment

• amateur51

And it means that you have to listen to people - & realise that, just possibly, what they say about their experience and feelings is rather more valid than what you think they should be.

(pabs - the 'you' above doesn't mean you )
              Seconded - most certainly not

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Oh dear, sorry, didn't mean to suggest that I thought you wouldn't understand! Just thought I'd better make it absolutely clear!

Perhaps it's better to use 'people' instead of 'you'.
                Not at all - I was doing my own bit of leg-pulling (but I am capable of getting the wrong end of the stick, especially when I can't get facial cues - it gets embarrassing sometimes!).

Comment

• scottycelt

Seconded - most certainly not
                  Sorry to be fick again, Ams, but are you seconding Flossie's kind exclusion of Pabs, or are you actually vehemently opposed to any secondment ... ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    Sorry to be fick again, Ams, but are you seconding Flossie's kind exclusion of Pabs, or are you actually vehemently opposed to any secondment ... ?
                    I'm seconding Flossie's (pabs - the 'you' above doesn't mean you )

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Probably not, but given the churches history of rampant bigotry and homophobia it's a bit much for it's followers to pretend (in a clegg styleee ) that "hey guys, that's all in the past, we really like gays, really , honest we do, that cardinal was only speaking metaphorically " etc etc etc

but sorry anyhow
                      It's not just Cleggie - witness Tony Blair speaking up! He says petulantly `"You know my record on this!" and I thought "and now watch me back-pedal and patronise all the LGBT people in Liberia". You have to think there must be oil in Liberia

Exclusive: In joint interview, Tony Blair refuses to comment on Liberian president's remarks supporting anti-gay laws

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

It's not just Cleggie - witness Tony Blair speaking up! He says petulantly `"You know my record on this!" and I thought "and now watch me back-pedal and patronise all the LGBT people in Liberia". You have to think there must be oil in Liberia

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-homosexuality
                        You got to hand it to that interviewer for posing this very "difficult" question, which is not difficult at all of course, and yet for all the knowledge of how much Blair gets paid for these jaunts it still jarrs to witness this man's evasiveness writ all over his smug but unconcealable body language.

Ironic isn't it to ponder a moment the so-called "white man's burden"'s civilising mission now come home to haunt him from the Bishopric of York.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          You got to hand it to that interviewer for posing this very "difficult" question, which is not difficult at all of course, and yet for all the knowledge of how much Blair gets paid for these jaunts it still jarrs to witness this man's evasiveness writ all over his smug but unconcealable body language.

Ironic isn't it to ponder a moment the so-called "white man's burden"'s civilising mission now come home to haunt him from the Bishopric of York.
                          His evident discomfort cheered me up no end, I can tell you S_A

As for herself, well words fai .....

Comment

• scottycelt

... well words fai .....

Comment

Working...
                            X