Vintage Cars; An Embarrassment of Four-Wheeled Riches ( 2 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    . . . I fell for the Goddess, Citroën's "DS"...
    . . . as did Herbert von Karajan and John Culshaw a.o.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

After the war and before she got married my mother worked on Anglesey, driving around in her version of this car, the Austin 7, which was known to all & sundry locally as 'The Flying Flea'

Poor soul, after marrying my father & having us kids I don't think her life ever regained that momentum & she spent most of it on anti-depressants. Perhaps I should just be glad that she & The Flying Flea had had months of fun together

Comment

• amateur51

I love your DS, Calibs and notice that you had the edition with the 'clever' headlights.

I'm one of the oddsters (in more ways than one, I know, I know ) who doesn't drive but who loves cars

As a kid I loved to 'collect' cars, keeping a notebook of the ones I'd seen or going to car showrooms to admire the latest models (the smell of a new car). Many and varied are the cars I lusted after but if I had to choose one it would be the Bentley Continental by Park Ward

Explore exceptional air freight options with Boeing Freighter Service. Our fleet provides dependable cargo transport, guaranteeing efficiency and punctuality for all your logistical requirements.

altho the much-slower-than-it-looks Daimler Dart SP250 runs it a close second

Last edited by Guest; 16-03-12, 15:40. Reason: trypos

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by gamba View Post
          Thanks Lat. - bang on ! You see what I mean when I refer to MG, Singer & Wolseley as ' toy cars '
          Gamba

I'm well impressed. What I really like about it? It clearly wouldn't be at all troubled by the appearance of a determined 4 X 4.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Like ams51 I don't drive but spend many teenage holidays touring Wales, Scotland and other parts of the UK with good friends who owned a Austin 10 convertible, if that's what you call a car with a leaky canvas roof/hood. It had four fold back plastic windows on each side which let in the rain and wind, but very comfortable deep leather seats. I'm talking about the 1950s mostly and can't say I've ever seen another like it. They were happy days though.

Comment

• gamba
              Late member
              • Dec 2010

Thank you all who have replied to this thread. Steeped in a subject heavy in nostalgia for many of us & taking place on the occasion of my 89th. birthday has made this day 'special.'

I'll see if I can't fix it to happen again same time next year !

gamba

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Poor soul, after having us kids I don't think her life ever regained that momentum & she spent most of it on anti-depressants.
                I couldn't possibly comment.....
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Don Petter

A contrast in styles!

Here are my most interesting two cars (neither now with me, but both still giving pleasure to others).

Morgan Super Sports 1936 (Matchless MX2 ohv air-cooled 990cc)
                  Acquired circa 1964 for £100

Marcos Mantula 1988 (Rover V8 injection 3500cc)
                  Built to my spec by Marcos.

Comment

• Anna

We did have a vintage car thread some time ago. I'm not sure how to post photos but between my father and my brothers at various times there were: An Alvis Speed 20 (1933), an Austin Light 12/4 and a Bentley 4 1/4 Litre (prewar) I have a cousin who has a De Dion Bouton 1901 Double Phaeton but I don't find veteran cars so interesting. My favourite vintage car is a Citroen Light 15.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                      • Nov 2010

Anna #39 An Alvis Speed 20? Gulp, swoon, one of the most beautiful motors ever made ... I can dream. My dad was an Austin man, but in my time I have owned a couple of 2.5 RM Rileys and very fine cars they were. Fast, comfortable, imposing and as a side-benefit, very good for building the biceps when you had to park, turning the wheel at low speeds was a considerable strain on the muscles.

I sold the second one (a very rare 2.5l drophead coupe) a few years ago and like you, I havent figured out how to post photos, but when I do, I will post one. Marvellous car, but ultimately it got too difficult to maintain and it went to a good home.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I love your DS, Calibs and notice that you had the edition with the 'clever' headlights.

Many and varied are the cars I lusted after but if I had to choose one it would be the Bentley Continental by Park Ward

Explore exceptional air freight options with Boeing Freighter Service. Our fleet provides dependable cargo transport, guaranteeing efficiency and punctuality for all your logistical requirements.

altho the much-slower-than-it-looks Daimler Dart SP250 runs it a close second

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_green_vl.jpg

Yes, the inner headlamps swivelled with the steering I can remember the criss-crossing of the beams (yellow - old French-style)

I wish I still had her! This is making me feel sad

That Park Ward Bentley is a STUNNER!!! And I've always loved those Darts

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        My favourite vintage car is a Citroen Light 15.

I think we've had this exchange before, Anna! But I have to post that pic of the third car I owned (like her great niece, the Goddess, subsequently sold ):

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          A contrast in styles!

Here are my most interesting two cars (neither now with me, but both still giving pleasure to others).

Morgan Super Sports 1936 (Matchless MX2 ohv air-cooled 990cc)
                          Acquired circa 1964 for £100

Marcos Mantula 1988 (Rover V8 injection 3500cc)
                          Built to my spec by Marcos.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...ter/Marcos.jpg
                          You sporty devil, Don!

Love both those!!

I'd never fit in either though!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• handsomefortune

(belated) happy birthday gamba! good luck & good health

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              You sporty devil, Don!

Love both those!!

I'd never fit in either though!
                              A touch of extra virgin olive oil on each hip, no problem Calibs!

Getting out again? ... aaaaaah!

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Morning gamba, If you or anyone else ever starts a thread on 'Old Planes' I have some pictures of an Avro Ansen, which is being repaired and put in a museum in Australia. My cousin in Adelaide, a carpenter, is seeing to the woodwork and people who fought in the WW2 are taking part, one older than you! They are also working on a Spitfire, which I remember well.

Comment

Working...
                                X