X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    . . . ...having a custom-rebuilt Marantz CD player helps! Whoops, that bit slipped out...
    *turns to a not very attractive shade of green*
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Goodness... I don't recognise that description of these 20x128 Rakhmaninov remasters...they sound utterly gorgeous played on [Jayne here self-censors a lengthy, detailed and boastful description of her CD replay systems]...

...having a custom-rebuilt Marantz CD player helps! Whoops, that bit slipped out...
      Yes Jayne

I enjoy vinyl, and have a good system to play it on, but all too often people fail to match like with like, and I think that cheaper CD players often under perform when compared to up market vinyl. I don't have a Marantz, mine's Meridian, and this make the subjective performance of the two formats very similar.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Wire is the only way

An old wire recorder. Yes. It records audio on a very thin wire. When I played the spool for the first time a young girls voice sprung from the wire and bega...

(I guess a B77 is a little heavy to carry about ?)
        Thank you GG, I just wasted 29 seconds of my life watching that silly clip on youtube.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Re vinyl - I never regretted its passing. I can remember listening to new LPs, bolt upright, worrying constantly that there might be a click or a swish at any moment. I bought my first CD and player on Day 1 (1.03.83) and was converted instantly.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Re vinyl - I never regretted its passing. I can remember listening to new LPs, bolt upright, worrying constantly that there might be a click or a swish at any moment. I bought my first CD and player on Day 1 (1.03.83) and was converted instantly.
            This pretty much somes up my experience with LPs. What was worse than worrying about what clicks and pops might be coming, was the horrible anticipation of that click that we knew was there!

I persevered with LPs and did not convert (no pun!) until '89.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Otomo knows how to treat them

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

though i'm more of a sniff fan myself

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                This pretty much somes up my experience with LPs. What was worse than worrying about what clicks and pops might be coming, was the horrible anticipation of that click that we knew was there!

I persevered with LPs and did not convert (no pun!) until '89.
                For me, the thought that a machine that had no physical contact with the disc was bound to be better long-term, first CD player 1985. The quiet start of Firebird and Daphnis with no surface noise or clicks, this was the future!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  For me, the thought that a machine that had no physical contact with the disc was bound to be better long-term, first CD player 1985. The quiet start of Firebird and Daphnis with no surface noise or clicks, this was the future!
                  I often find it funny that I spent the first part of my career trying to eliminate extraneous noises, pops , clicks , cleaning the Revox heads , cleaning LPs, borrowing expensive rackmounted noise reduction units etc etc
                  whereas now I have in many of the software applications that I use plugins that generate precisely the same noises, eq settings that will simulate cassette and bit reduction that will make high quality recordings sound "old"

For those people who never experienced low fi not as a choice but as simply what it is , the scratches and clicks are simply more sounds to explore.
                  Much of the electronic (live and otherwise) music I listen to (and sometimes make) is full of these things which have now been recontextualised as musical sounds ................. so Cage was right all along

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

For those people who never experienced low fi not as a choice but as simply what it is , the scratches and clicks are simply more sounds to explore.
                    Much of the electronic (live and otherwise) music I listen to (and sometimes make) is full of these things which have now been recontextualised as musical sounds ................. so Cage was right all along

All that means is that Cage was mad too.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

All that means is that Cage was mad too.
                      Is the record noise from the nightingale recording in The Pines Of Rome music ?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Is the record noise from the nightingale recording in The Pines Of Rome music ?

You know that very thought occurred to me when I first heard this work at a concert performance in Manchester. The programme note said it was scored for "a gramophone record", but at the time of its composition, this would have sounded dire. (Do HIPP enthusiasts insist in an acoustically recorded nightingale? )

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

You know that very thought occurred to me when I first heard this work at a concert performance in Manchester. The programme note said it was scored for "a gramophone record", but at the time of its composition, this would have sounded dire. (Do HIPP enthusiasts insist in an acoustically recorded nightingale? )
                          Of course
                          It should be on a wind up gramophone with a player in full tails performing it ! I heard a dreadful version at the RFH a few years ago where the nightingale was played through the PA so that it had no sense of spatial location at all

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

I have a score in front of me now. Among the instruments it lists Grammophono. Thirteen bars from the end of the third movement is the name 'l'usignol' with a footnote that says: 'No. R.6105 del "Concert Record Gramophone": Il canto dell'usignol'. So it's very specific!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Of course
                              It should be on a wind up gramophone with a player in full tails performing it ! I heard a dreadful version at the RFH a few years ago where the nightingale was played through the PA so that it had no sense of spatial location at all
                              Could they hear it in Berkeley Square?

Interesting that it was scored for gramophone record, imagine having a real nightingale on the concert platform - definitely a case for not including animals or children in performance!

Comment

• umslopogaas
                                • Nov 2010

#38 Dave 2002. Belated thanks for that post. Of those three items:

1. CBS Classics was a bargain re-issue label.
                                2. This is a UK CBS stereo full price original.
                                3. This is an early Philips stereo full price original in the 'Hi-Fi Stereo' series.

In terms of value, you'd get next to nothing for 1., a relatively modest amount for 2. and a bit more for 3., though Philips dont fetch the big money that similar vintage Decca, HMV and Columbia go for.

English CBS (SBRG series for the stereos) sell for rather little, whereas English Columbias (SAX series for the stereos) fetch big money. I'm told collectors believe that English CBS engineering wasnt very good, whereas English Columbia were produced by Walter Legge and are highly regarded. Personally, English CBS sound fine to me and I'm very happy to perpetuate the story if it keeps the price down.

#40 cloughie. Thanks for that information, these label complexities get very confusing!

Comment

Working...
                                X