• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    Might I suggest a new programme for BBC2? - Celebrity Brain Surgeon. Five chosen celebrities, with no previous medical training, could be given five weeks of intensive training in brain surgery. Selected luminaries from BBC management could then volunteer to be operated upon - and the public could vote for the most successful participant.
    Wouldn't such a programme's success depend upon the volunteers at least having the requisite organ to be operated upon?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

QUOTE=VodkaDilc;140089]Might I suggest a new programme for BBC2? - Celebrity Brain Surgeon. Five chosen celebrities, with no previous medical training, could be given five weeks of intensive training in brain surgery. Selected luminaries from BBC management could then volunteer to be operated upon - and the public could vote for the most successful participant.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant! [

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
        Ann Widdecombe performimg at the ROH is a separate issue. My DVD of the Royal Opera House production of La Fille du Regiment has Dawn French as the Duchesse de Crackenthorp...
        That's quite true - it is a separate issue.

When I saw that production in Vienna, the Duchesse de Crackenthorp was Montserrat Caballe, which I thought was pretty game of her - like admitting publicly that she couldn't sing any more.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by jean; 12-03-12, 01:23.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Might I suggest a new programme for BBC2? - Celebrity Brain Surgeon. Five chosen celebrities, with no previous medical training, could be given five weeks of intensive training in brain surgery. Selected luminaries from BBC management could then volunteer to be operated upon - and the public could vote for the most successful participant.
          Wonderful! But surely they'd need to find enough brains among BBC management to operate on in the first place - tall order! [ I've just noticed that Ferney's already said the same thing in post 16! I should have read more carefully. I'm tired.]
          Last edited by Pabmusic; 12-03-12, 01:28. Reason: Stupidity

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

It's the lack of imagination that's so depressing- this is just "Maestro" with opera. And the idea that the only way to get people to watch a programme about conducting is to wheel in a load of b-list celebs.

Pappano is such a great communicator and such an engaging presenter, it would be fascinating to watch a series of masterclasses with talented conducting students, as he takes them through the whole process of learning and then conducting an opera- and who knows, such a series might unearth a real talent.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

The somewhat lame reason given for using (non-musical) celebrities is to demonstrate that 'classical music' is not just for knowledgeable people: it's For All. I think perhaps a programme with celebrities could pull in bigger audiences and - who knows? - that just might also have something to do with it ...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                By the way. AW is on my fantasy guest list for a party.
                She's on mine tioo - she is to be bound to a chair with a sock in her mouth while we eat & drink and discuss religion and feminism

That's a nasty streak that I hadn't expected to reveal

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  well you have every chance of her turning up, she is always hanging around Salisbury. (not sure why). As a matter of interest, since you brought it up, who else is on the list? and is there a decent thread in this!?
                  When I read that initially I thought that you were referring to The Salisbury, a much be-mirrored formerly gay pub in St Martin's Lane in central London, closer to ENO than ROH I grant you.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    The somewhat lame reason given for using (non-musical) celebrities is to demonstrate that 'classical music' is not just for knowledgeable people: it's For All...
                    I hope they'll remember that if any of them needs a transplant.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

So does that mean then that Radio 3, is further going to dumbdown to below the abyss that it is now?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                        Thank goodness for News International. At least they provide a small oasis of culture.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          She's on mine tioo - she is to be bound to a chair with a sock in her mouth while we eat & drink and discuss religion and feminism

That's a nasty streak that I hadn't expected to reveal

I like this new amateur!! Go ammy!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Further details of the BBC Two Maestro programmes (if you can bear it).

In fact, it's not so much that I'm against this as part of the BBC's popular entertainment provision, it's that it seems to be an either/or. From the sound of it, this programme will be very expensive and one feels it's being offered as part of the cultural/classical music output. As such, it will leave one audience seething and dissatisfied, but the BBC is ticking its 'classical music for the broader audience' box.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• handsomefortune

this chap looks like he's been ticking too many boxes too

is his role comparable to the part played by anne widdecombe, as the duchesse de whatsit in the opera?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                                this chap looks like he's been ticking too many boxes too

is his role comparable to the part played by anne widdecombe, as the duchesse de whatsit in the opera?
                                Possibly not but the faces aren't a million miles apart...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X