X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    When I read that initially I thought that you were referring to The Salisbury, a much be-mirrored formerly gay pub in St Martin's Lane in central London, closer to ENO than ROH I grant you.
    I took some (to me, at the time) elderly American relatives there, sometime in the eighties, because I thought it such a fantastic piece of Victorian pub architecture - but they went a bit pale and asked that we leave at once.

When did it 'go straight'?

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I took some (to me, at the time) elderly American relatives there, sometime in the eighties, because I thought it such a fantastic piece of Victorian pub architecture - but they went a bit pale and asked that we leave at once.

Tis a fine establishment indeed
      and all the better for this sign

Comment

• amateur51

Oh dear kernel, what a shame

From the often off-hand to unpleasant attitude of most of the staff, including successive managers, it always was straight but it was usually full of gay men and tourists (I'm talking from my experience of mid-70s to mid-80s here). I think with the advent of more simpatico regimes in other local pubs, The Salisbury gradually got dropped from the gay list.

Perhaps if you had been able to tell them that Maggie Smith made a grand exit down that extraordinary staircase in George Cukor's 1972 film of Graham Greene's 'Travels With My Aunt', they'd have been less traumatised

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Veering wildly off topic.... I used to work, in the early 80s, opposite the Salisbury, down a little, and little-known, passageway - Goodwin's Court. It has a series of delightful Victorian-style bow windows. It was all owned by two brothers, one of whom was a quite well-known character actor in films, who lived at the end. It had all been due to be pulled down by the Cahncil, but they rescued it and did it up. It's worth a quick look by anyone heading for the Coliseum (or the Salisbury).
          Last edited by kernelbogey; 12-03-12, 17:00. Reason: Two edits: added information; deleted when found to be false!

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Oh dear kernel, what a shame [...][...] Perhaps if you had been able to tell them that Maggie Smith made a grand exit down that extraordinary staircase in George Cukor's 1972 film of Graham Greene's 'Travels With My Aunt', they'd have been less traumatised
            If you've spent the greater part of your adult life in Kokamo, Indiana, it doesn't take a lot to traumatise you.

Comment

• David-G
              • Mar 2012

Did any of the contributors to this thread actually see the original series "Maestro"? Of course one could not take it too seriously. But it was interesting to watch, and gave insights into what is involved in conducting. The winner, the comedian Sue Perkins, was greatly impressive in her conducting role. I have had considerable respect for her ever since. I am looking forward to this new series.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I didn't watch 'Maestro', but Sue Perkins is quite brilliant whenever she appears on Radio 4's 'Just A Minute'.

Comment

• David-G
                  • Mar 2012

Perhaps I should have said - I have had considerable respect for this additional side of her talents which was thus revealed.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                    Perhaps I should have said - I have had considerable respect for this additional side of her talents which was thus revealed.
                    One thing was that she took it very seriously and had enough musical knowledge to be able to make the most of the opportunity. The audience/viewers were clearly impressed enough with her performances to thumb their collective nose at the judges with their preferred competitor ...
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Funnily enough, that's more or less what happened to me in the early 70s after an evening at the Coliseum -- except that the 'tourists' were my parents up from the provinces. They stuck it out, but were obviously a bit worried, especially as I was resplendent in a new suede jacket, Liberty paisley shirt and kipper tie. Bliss was it in that dawn ...

Comment

Working...
                      X