X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pilamenon
    • Nov 2010

Twitter

I wondered - how do you feel about Twitter?

a) I check it every day, it's a part of my life now
    b) I check it occasionally and limit my use of it
    c) I am thinking of registering as many people I know use it
    d) I don't want to get involved at the moment but wouldn't rule out doing so
    e) I don't want to have anything to do with it - ever.

I'm in the d) category at the moment.
    I check it every day, it's a part of my life now
    0%
    I check it occasionally and limit my use of it
    0%
    I am thinking of registering as many people I know use it
    0%
    I'm not getting involved at present but wouldn't rule out doing so
    0%
    I don't want to have anything to do with it - ever
    0%

The poll is expired.

• doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

pilamenon
    Good to see you again and this is an interesting poll, as unlike some polls we may have (and have had), the result isn’t so predictable.

Are we allowed to ask you the thinking behind it? If you think it will affect the poll, tell us afterword.

e) is the closest to my answer but it would be more accurate to say ‘I have no interest in using or reading it and expect to remain the same’ Still, I’m probably splitting hairs. So, here goes.
    Last edited by doversoul1; 11-03-12, 10:25.

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

I have to admit that for a long time I was very sceptical about Twitter, but have warmed towards it since I began to use it more.

It's about more than people with nothing to say letting the world know what they're having for breakfast (toast with strawberry jam if anyone's interested).

For anyone with an iPhone or iPad I can highly recommend the Tweetbot twitter client
      Steve

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I'm not sure whether to vote for the first or the last. If, as I assume, it's asking whether I have a Twitter account myself, the answer is No and 'I have no plans' to open one. But I check R3's page regularly, most days, just to know what they're doing ...

I don't have anything I want to say to anyone that requires that kind of immediacy. E?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I enrolled for it when it first became a big thing mainly out of curiosity and on the principle that you are not really qualified to pass judgement on something which you have not actually experienced. (A principle not adhered to by celibate RC clergyman). It was about three years ago and I had just turned 60 and received my winter fuel allowance. I had to contribute something so I tweeted: "Gathering winter fuel". I had two replies, both from women keen on having some kind of relationship with me. Maybe I missed an opportunity but It remains to this day out there in cyberspace as my sole tweet.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I enrolled for it when it first became a big thing mainly out of curiosity and on the principle that you are not really qualified to pass judgement on something which you have not actually experienced. (A principle not adhered to by celibate RC clergyman). It was about three years ago and I had just turned 60 and received my winter fuel allowance. I had to contribute something so I tweeted: "Gathering winter fuel". I had two replies, both from women keen on having some kind of relationship with me. Maybe I missed an opportunity but It remains to this day out there in cyberspace as my sole tweet.
            It suppose it is best to learn the secret codes before dabbling ...

Comment

• anotherbob
              • Sep 2011

I'm not able to cast a vote since none of the alternatives represents my view.
              To be honest I don't know how Twitter works, but it is possible that come the Cricket Season I might try to find out. I follow my local team and last season I noticed that some fellow spectators were keeping track of other games in the League using Twitter. I should like to be able to do that.
              Edit. Perhaps that makes me a (d)
              As to publishing my own Tweets, I can't imagine they would be of any interest to anyone (except in the cricketing context I have mentioned.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

(d)

There is nothing on it at the moment that I would ever have any use (or time) for, but there may well be developments that change my attitude.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pilamenon
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
                  I'm not able to cast a vote since none of the alternatives represents my view.
                  To be honest I don't know how Twitter works, but it is possible that come the Cricket Season I might try to find out. I follow my local team and last season I noticed that some fellow spectators were keeping track of other games in the League using Twitter. I should like to be able to do that.
                  Edit. Perhaps that makes me a (d)
                  Or maybe a (c), Bob? It seems tailor-made for the sports world.

I was prompted to ask the question by a conversation with a very good friend who has started using it regularly, and was trying to persuade me of its merits. So began as an (e), moved to a (c) and then backtracked to a (d). And should I join, I would hope to be a (b).

Not understanding exactly how it works, in terms of screening and filtering, what puts me off is the time it presumably takes to sift the wheat from the chaff. Also, can you follow, but not have followers?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

In genrally check it just when there is a major brass band contest on, as they have it 'live'.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

E. It is (a) the advertising of individual self-location and preference by soundbite and slogan and (b) an establishment tool for diverting deeper thought on the internet that could ultimately lead to political mass movement.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

I voted (e) which is closest to my views.

However, i do have multiple accounts, which I did think I might use. Very limited use for me.

I did notice that at least one person has used Twitter for house automation.

I did think that someone had done a fairly comprehensive job - not just one or two lights. I note the comment about reporting bowel movements in one of these. Isn't that what Twitter is normally used for?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

It's an amusing occasional tool to read pithy comments from some amusing individuals I rate; a way of keeping abreast of what a number of clients in the public eye are saying (which is part of my job); and the wonderful @DIMBLEBOT twitter account has reactivated BBC's Question Time from having lapsed into a repetitive, predictable, petulant charade into something fresh and amusing. I recommend watching BBCQT with the @DIMBLEBOT page open nearby and coming up with amusing real-time comments on the "action"... http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-...aw-35m-viewers
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I suspect we're confirming all prejudices about the R3 listenership in choosing e) (as I did). I don't think I would change to d) because I see no use for me to make of it, though I might be persuaded to widen my following of others. The main downside is the potential amount of time spent on it for not much return.

I haven't yet come across anyone my opinion of whom has been raised after reading their tweets, whereas the opposite is certainly true
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I suspect we're confirming all prejudices about the R3 listenership in choosing e) (as I did). I don't think I would change to d) because I see no use for me to make of it, though I might be persuaded to widen my following of others. The main downside is the potential amount of time spent on it for not much return.

I haven't yet come across anyone my opinion of whom has been raised after reading their tweets, whereas the opposite is certainly true
                              But what if our academic friend from the peak district started to tweet ?

Comment

Working...
                              X