• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Jay Haide String Instruments

I wonder if anyone ' out there ' has had contact with Jay Haide violins, violas or 'cellos.

Any reference to them is invariably in the most glowing terms, that is, for a modern hand crafted Chinese instrument. Even the most upmarket suppliers appear to have no qualms about stocking them
    The company set-up is partly American with the most strigent quality contol over all aspects of manufacture & set-up. Google 'Jay Haide' & you'll see what I mean. Comparisons price-wise would seem to indicate a need to pay probably two to three times as much elsewhere for a comparable item.

They have a special range of top quality artificially 'aged' instruments, based on a specific model & maker. I mention this as I have ( with very limited funds ) been looking for a decent sounding 'cello.

After much searching & listening to a large number & variety of instruments I settled on a modern copy of a Goffriller. ( Anner Bylsma has the real thing ! ) & am delighted with the outcome. A lovely even output across all strings ( Larsen & Passione ) with a quality of sound ideal for chamber music or Baroque.

So, good-bye folks, I shall now just shut myself away from this awful war-torn world & attempt to re-discover the easier bits of the Bach suites !
Working...
X