X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum
    • Jun 2024

Chugging Hell

Looks like this nefarious practice has had its day according to the Guardian.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Afaik tin rattling, as I call it, and which I've done, requires waiting for the public to approach the collecter by law, and not the other way around. One has to decide on ones attitude to assisting an charity whose services have supplanted in-house council work with non-unionised labour on low pay, and whether the alternative could be old folks on the street or the thickening of the wedge. Personally I prefer giving to street collecters than being cold called on the door or via unsolicited emails, both of which often these days involve committing to monthly payments.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

'Tin rattling' by unpaid volunteers, such as I have participated in on several occasions, is one thing. Chugging, which is paid employment, is quite another. Chuggers should be required by law to advise that they are not unpaid volunteers buy professional fund-raisers being paid well for their work.
      Last edited by Bryn; 06-03-12, 21:38. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

As I said in another thread that touched on this (the Room 101 thread?) councils are limited in the number of licences they can give to charity collectors. The professional ones tend to be much better organised & can book up all the slots, thus excluding the others, including small local charities who 'rattle tins' rather than bully people into giving up their bank details. So I'm very pleased that some councils are now considering restricting the number of days the professionals can operate.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

I brought this subject up on the 'Room 101' thread. I think we can call this a result! And so soon too!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
          X