X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

1.8 m could leave London suggests Shelter poll

More than anecdotal stories were telling of growing numbers of London's keyworkers needing to commute from places as far away as Taunton. That was more than a decade ago, before house prices and rents peaked.

The removal of housing benefit, not just for the unemployed, but also those on poverty wages living in high property-valued parts of inner London, while politically, reportedly, a popular doorstep issue, will just end up making recruitment for low waged employment increasingly impossible, unless staff are to be chain-ganged from off the streets and homeless hostelries.

1.6 million is nearly 1 in 6 of London's population if one includes the outer suburbs.

London has a crisis in housing provision throughout. Are those to be ethnically cleansed in a manner of speaking from Westminster and neighbouring boroughs expecting to be housed in Barnet, Bexley and Croydon? And if not, Watford? Maidstone? Maidenhead? How will the job prospectants be able to afford ever-mounting public transport fares? Might this be the real long-term meaning of Norman Tebbit's "get on your bike"?

When will the powers-that-be think the unthinkable solution - building new council housing, yes, but as an urgent first step doing up all abandoned habitable property in council ownership and requisitioning private property left empty for, say, a year?

S-A
  • Lateralthinking1

In Croydon, the "send them to Australia" approach is favoured. Except Australia is Manchester and Walsall -

(or the Yorkshire coast)

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      More than anecdotal stories were telling of growing numbers of London's keyworkers needing to commute from places as far away as Taunton. That was more than a decade ago, before house prices and rents peaked.

The removal of housing benefit, not just for the unemployed, but also those on poverty wages living in high property-valued parts of inner London, while politically, reportedly, a popular doorstep issue, will just end up making recruitment for low waged employment increasingly impossible, unless staff are to be chain-ganged from off the streets and homeless hostelries.

1.6 million is nearly 1 in 6 of London's population if one includes the outer suburbs.

London has a crisis in housing provision throughout. Are those to be ethnically cleansed in a manner of speaking from Westminster and neighbouring boroughs expecting to be housed in Barnet, Bexley and Croydon? And if not, Watford? Maidstone? Maidenhead? How will the job prospectants be able to afford ever-mounting public transport fares? Might this be the real long-term meaning of Norman Tebbit's "get on your bike"?

When will the powers-that-be think the unthinkable solution - building new council housing, yes, but as an urgent first step doing up all abandoned habitable property in council ownership and requisitioning private property left empty for, say, a year?

S-A
      The provision of housing in large parts of our country is an utter scandal. Housing prices are an insult to people on "normal " wages.

It is the mark of a very uncivilised country that a very rich society like ours fails to deliver good quality affordable housing to its people.
      Last edited by teamsaint; 06-03-12, 18:33.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        In Croydon, the "send them to Australia" approach is favoured. Except Australia is Manchester and Walsall -

(or the Yorkshire coast)
        Unless Croydon has improved greatly since I lived there, the offer of a house in Manchester might be quite tempting.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

(or the Yorkshire coast)
          Jest not. This has been happening for many years, as a major Yorkshire conurbation attempts to cleans itself...
          It doesn't solve anything.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

And will people face up to the fact that there are too many people on this fragile earth?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Jest not. This has been happening for many years, as a major Yorkshire conurbation attempts to cleans itself...It doesn't solve anything.
              That wouldn't be to Saltburn would it Eine?
              Last edited by Guest; 06-03-12, 23:18.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                Unless Croydon has improved greatly since I lived there, the offer of a house in Manchester might be quite tempting.
                Croydon is still a toilet.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

That wouldn't be to Saltburn would it Eine?
                  I don't know, but Scarborough, Bridlington, Hornsea and Withernsea are all affected.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    And will people face up to the fact that there are too many people on this fragile earth?
                    too many to live at unsustainable western lifestyle levels, perhaps........
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

As some young women, with or without partners, have several children knowing they are cushioned by benefits the policy of reducing the population will fall on the over 80s. Already I fear for my future as less and less medical help is available. 'Wear and tear' is the usual answer and what about the discussions on suicide if the elderly request it. Keep your marbles as you get older.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

I think it was Milton Jones who came up with the definition of the "Croydon Smile".

It's when you're on a train, which stops in Croydon, and you suddenly realise you don't need to get off...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I've never understood why Croydon is singled out for oprobrium. But then, I lived in North London, & anywhere south of the river was pretty dire

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I've never understood why Croydon is singled out for oprobrium. But then, I lived in North London, & anywhere south of the river was pretty dire
                            ... mind you, Neasden was also a joked-about place.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              South of the River?

It's London's best-kept secret

But I'm still worried as to what's going to happen to all these people threatened with eviction from central London if the authorities won't pay up any more; and, beyond basic humanitarian concerns, what consequences their removal to the back of beyond will do as regards maintaining the capital's essential services.

Comment

Working...
                              X