Are we nearing the end of Photography as we used to know it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Hornspieler,

I do agree with you re. the manner in which subject matter can wander of course. I have found this at times to be extremely annoying, especially when the thread has been one of one's own origin & of a serious nature & dealing with matters of importance. However in this case, re. vintage cars, help is at hand. I intend opening up a thread dealing with a quite incredible ' momentous moment ' in my association with these beautiful creatures just as soon as my present personal physical affliction allows. Hopefully this should help draw the irritation away. WATCH THIS SPACE

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by gamba View Post
      Hornspieler,

I do agree with you re. the manner in which subject matter can wander of course. I have found this at times to be extremely annoying, especially when the thread has been one of one's own origin & of a serious nature & dealing with matters of importance. However in this case, re. vintage cars, help is at hand. I intend opening up a thread dealing with a quite incredible ' momentous moment ' in my association with these beautiful creatures just as soon as my present personal physical affliction allows. Hopefully this should help draw the irritation away. WATCH THIS SPACE
      Good morning, Gamba.

Like the cat who ate a block of cheese and then sat down by a mousehole, I await your new thread "with baited breath"

Hornspieler

Comment

• Don Petter

Thankfully, my inadvertent deflection may yet be in a good cause then ....

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
          AM51:I think that subsequent discussion in messages numbers 76 to 83 concerning badges on veteran cars justify my concern.
          Fact of life, gather blokes together and the conversation either turns to football or cars!
          Sorry for going off topic but I look forward to gamba's upcoming about vintage cars as well, my cousin owning a couple

Comment

• Don Petter

Perhaps I can find a photo of a camera to post.

Comment

• gamba
              Late member
              • Dec 2010

Comment

• amateur51

AM51:

My message #74 was a query, not an insult. I was concerned with the direction in which this thread seemed to be heading.

So I asked if somebody would explain the relevance of some messages.

And I did say "please"

I think that subsequent discussion in messages numbers 76 to 83 concerning badges on veteran cars justify my concern.

If my post in reply to Mr Sherratt's was in any way insulting, I would have expected one of the Hosts, not you, to tell me so.

Yes, it was FerretFancy who explained the connection and I duly thanked him

HS
                I give up!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Perhaps I can find a photo of a camera to post.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>I give up

I gave up. But thanks amateur51

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

If my post in reply to Mr Sherratt's was in any way insulting, I would have expected one of the Hosts, not you, to tell me so.
                      Just a very quick intervention - then let the discussion continue. There is only one Moderator for the boards (me). As this is a reactively moderated board, if anyone has a problem with any post, they should either PM me or click on the Report Post link (the tiny black triangle with the exclamation mark in it which appears in the grey bar just below each message).

I can move all off-topic messages to a different thread if they seem to be diverting the original topic to a different one.

Now: cameras, photography, photographers ...
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

That was the first indication that I had that all was not well with Olympus. Once a leader in digital cameras, I discovered that their new range, no longer manufactured in Tokio could not compete with the likes of Canon and Nikon for quality.

Now we know the truth. Cut price means a cut in standards. Olympus are done for and their magazine is only fit for ..... well, it is very thin paper!
                        That may explain a lot. When I 'went digital' I only needed a compact at the time for travelling with a rucksack. I chose an Olympus because my experience of the OM1 and Zuiko lenses had been very positive. Unfortunately, the shock-proof, waterproof compact doesn't really deliver, even given that compacts aren't top of the range
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Now we're back on track, here's something to amuse you on a Sunday afternoon. I found it while looking for my earlier examples. It's from the same Parisian fair, and another case of the full effect of a composition only being seen after taking the shot.

You will note that the tigers are so flaked out and dozy that the booth man is having to do all the fierce growling himself!

(Please don't start discussing zoological matters, though. )

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

That was the first indication that I had that all was not well with Olympus. Once a leader in digital cameras, I discovered that their new range, no longer manufactured in Tokio could not compete with the likes of Canon and Nikon for quality.
                            Olympus have gone for smaller processors, meaning higher "noise". (I still have an OM1 and it's still very good.) Both Canon and Nikon have opted for digital quality, so tyey deserv e to be market leaders.

Comment

• gamba
                              Late member
                              • Dec 2010

Very, very funny Don, what an incredible picture. It actually made me laugh out loud, a rare occurence in my case. I have been unwell & am already suddenly feeling much better - thank you !

( Now back to photography again)

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Wish you better gamba, no reply needed

Comment

Working...
                                X