X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Did anyone see the Meteor?

I'm just wondering whether any fellow boarders managed to spot the Meteor that has been widely seen over the weekend. If indeed it WAS a meteor....

I think I caught a sight of it, but I was well into a bottle of Jacobs Creek by 9:40 on Saturday evening, so I might have been confused..........
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

never seen the Meteors, but got one of their albums.Didn't really have you down as a psychobilly man, Mr Pee !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

No: the first I heard about it was after it had disappeared from view.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        No: the first I heard about it was after it had disappeared from view.
        That makes many of us I think (including me myself )

Comment

• Anna

It was cloudy here, I think it was seen in the NE and Scotland. I did however see Hale Bopp, which was amazing and also Halley's Comet. I quite often like to go out stargazing, it's a wonderful thing to do.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Not me, even though it was (unusually) clear Saturday night.

(were you watching SKY as usual on Saturday night, Mr pee? Perhaps you should have been watching the sky, instead, & you would have seen something even better.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I think I heard the little man on board shouting, "Look - quick! - that's England down there!"

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Not me, even though it was (unusually) clear Saturday night.

(were you watching SKY as usual on Saturday night, Mr pee? Perhaps you should have been watching the sky, instead, & you would have seen something even better.)
                indeed and "Jacobs Creek" ???
                hardly Sancerre now is it ? ................ I didn't have you down as a Ribena man

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  indeed and "Jacobs Creek" ???
                  hardly Sancerre now is it ? ................ I didn't have you down as a Ribena man
                  Nowt wrong with Jacobs Creek. Eminently quaffable.

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

Floss, Sky Arts 2 were showing La Traviata from the Met on Saturday night. Verdi has never floated my boat, I'm afraid, so instead I switched over to Sky Atlantic, and watched the rather excellent new series, "Luck", with Dustin Hoffman and Nick Nolte. I'm three episodes in now and still don't have a clue what it's about, but it's beautifully filmed and acted nonetheless.

And as to the OTHER Sky, the one with all the twinkly things in it, I'm fortunate to live in a village which has deliberately avoided putting up street lights, and on a clear night the view is pretty special, although the best night sky I think I have ever seen was from a beach in Senegal. Stunning.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    Nowt wrong with Jacobs Creek. Eminently quaffable.
                    :
                    nuff said methinks !
                    the wine the equivalent of Einaudi IMV totally predictable and without character
                    unlike MrP (well half true I would say .........)

nice to see that great acting and filming is facilitated by saint Rupert ..... I wonder if he has a star named after him ? or just pretends to own the SKy ?

Nice to see that he also made it possible for Mozart, Haydn and Doppler to have somewhere to live !

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      I'm just wondering whether any fellow boarders managed to spot the Meteor that has been widely seen over the weekend. If indeed it WAS a meteor....:
                      It almost certainly was NOT a meteor, which is a tiny object that burns up in the atmosphere, and is otherwise known as a shooting star. This was more probably a meteorite, which is large enough to reach the surface of the Earth, hence the fireball.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I have seen many meteors (shooting stars) as I often go out to watch them in the autumn. I have been lucky enough to see two large enough to get reported in the Press. The first was as a kid one summer. My parents and their friends were fond of driving to Hayling Island on summer Sundays. Driving home too early meant huge traffic jams from Havant to Chichester so we ate a picnic on the island or at Bosham and drove home in the evening. A pub by the river at Pulborough meant a break halfway home. My sisters and I and the other kids sat by the Arun sipping Ginger Beer when a huge flame ripped from the north breaking up into smaller flames overhead as the atmosphere pulled it apart. Of course the adults were in the bar and did not believe a word of it until they read about it in the papers. A few years ago my son and I were walking our dog and had a similar experience. I do not think any trace of either meteorite has been found.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

The Perseid meteor shower around 12 August is worth watching out for. In some years it's spectacular, while in other years there's sometimes very little. It's all to do with a cloud of dust which the earth's orbit hits exactly in some years and not in others, as I understand it.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

The Perseids are super when I go on camping/painting holidays.

October and November can be spectacular too and the sky is darker. The Draconids (so named as they appear to come from the constellation Draco) come around October 8-9. They are believed to be dust from the Comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner .

Orionids come around October 21-22 and appear to come from Orion’s red giant star Betelgeuse. They are dust from Parent Comet: 1P/Halley. They can be coloured and often produce fireballs.

The Taurids come around November 5-12. They and the Orionids used to make half term holidays fun when we took a few days in France. They radiate from a point in the sky not far from the Pleiades star cluster in Taurus and their Parent Comet is 2P/Encke

Most years these late autumnal showers are insignificant but sometimes they are as busy as the Pleiades and if you are lucky seem to be continuous for nearly a month.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info Chris!

Comment

Working...
                              X