• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Philip Madoc 1934 - 2012

Very sad to see the passing today of this great actor. What a voice! I went back to see the Young Vic "Measure for Measure" three times, not least to hear and see his magnificent performance as the Duke. Can't help feeling that, like Nicol Williamson who died a month or two ago, he was sadly underused and under-rated.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Absolutely. I remember him on Children's Hour serials form Wales. 'Counterspy'?

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      . 'Counterspy'?
      With theme tune by Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

some very nice pictures of Mr Madoc here

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

A great actor and the "feed" for two of the best punchlines in sitcomdom: "Don't tell him, Pike!" (Dad's Army) and "Blimey! No wonder his eyes bulge out!" (Porridge). He was suitably seedy before getting exterminated in the second of the Peter Cushing Dr Who & the Daleks film. He was underrated by television directors (he, not Jacobi, should've been Cadfael), but no matter the quality of what he appeared in, he gave a mesmerising performance.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

After Richard Burton passed away Philip Madoc was the proud owner of the loveliest and richest speaking voice in Britain. My first childhood memory of him was as the terrifying Huron chief Magua in the BBC series 'The Last of the Mohicans'. Indeed, when I later came across Richard Burton I could have believed he and PM were the same persona. There were many parts he played in Dr Who. It was that powerful voice that gave him so much presence. He was briliant as Lloyd George, though like everyone else, I shall treasure his facial expression in that brilliant cameo where as the German Submarine Commander being held under arrest by the Home Guard in Dad's Army he asked Pike "Vot iss your name, boy?", to which the pompous Captain Mainwaring piped up with "Don't tell him, Pike...." Apparently, the very sensitive Arthur Lowe was quite put out by that classic episode because Madoc out-acted him (and everyone else) without even trying; whilst most of the cast found it well nigh impossible to keep straight faces the very serious-minded AL was spitting blood.

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Series 6, episode 1. Captain Mainwaring and the platoon are detailed to guard a group of captured German U-Boat sailors in the Church hall. However, the U-Bo...
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

He can be heard tonight on Radio4 Extra, playing Cadfael.

Comment

• Anna

I hadn't heard this news until now. I loved Philip Madoc in everything he did and as mentioned above, it was the voice. He did quite a bit of work with S4C, the last was a Welsh language drama about South Walian gangsters about 4 years ago. I do remember him however in The Life & Times of David Lloyd George. A sad loss.

Comment

• marthe

I, too, remember Philip Madoc from Last of the Mohicans, an all but forgotten dramatisation of Cooper's romance and adventure story set in the frontier of British North America. It was broadcast over here during the early 1970s as a PBS Masterpiece Theatre presentation.

Comment

• amateur51

Like others, I knew of Philip Madoc primarily as a TV actor, but I was lucky enough to see him at the local theatre here The Tricycle in Kilburn,about 3 years ago, as the Narrator in a production of Under Milk Wood so you can imagine that that voice was well-used there. He was tremendous!

Last edited by Guest; 05-03-12, 20:28. Reason: typos & general sloppiness

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

YES!
                        At school I did a thing on Stravinsky and was astonished to come across the sig tune that had so petrified and excited me about ten years earlier!

Well-remembered!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

This made the hair stand up on my neck....

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks for that caliban. He had such a beautiful voice. RIP.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Caliban - I was very impressed by his reading of Dylan Thomas in your clip. Actors don't tend to leave the same impression on me as musicians, writers, broadcasters, comedians and politicians. I was therefore surprised to find that the guy in that famous Dad's Army episode was the same as the one who played Lloyd George.

I do remember the television series on the latter. Being young, I had decided that Lloyd George was a bit of a political hero. There was disappointment that there was quite a lot of emphasis on his romantic exploits and that in political affairs he was various shades of black and white.

That shouldn't have a bearing on Madoc's performance. Those who were lucky enough to see a wide range of his performances will know better than me how fine an actor he was during his lifetime. I am sure that he gave many people a great deal of pleasure and clearly he will be very sadly missed. - Lat.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-03-12, 08:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X