Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    It isn't actually the topic of this thread, though ...
    And your point is?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      And your point is?
      Perhaps I misunderstood your point. Scotty was off-topic since the discussion about the cardinal and gay marriage is on a different thread. You seemed to be suggesting that he was on topic and the rest of us were off topic.

That was my point
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

I suppose part of my problem with this is that in the whole area of ethics of life and death decisions, the pressure and "direction of travel " seems to be remorselessly in one direction.
        Not only that, but I have very strong suspicions that this direction of travel(and perhaps this research) is actively encouraged by people who have no ethical considerations at all, but like Jeremy Grantham, just want rid of 80% of the world's population. (presumably keeping him and his friends and family !!)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

That's the fourth time you've mentioned Jeremy Grantham in this thread. I finally had to look him up (I thought you meant Jeremy Clarkson when you mentioned Doncaster ).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

That's the fourth time you've mentioned Jeremy Grantham in this thread. I finally had to look him up (I thought you meant Jeremy Clarkson when you mentioned Doncaster ).
            More Clarkson than Bentham.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

funny that they both come from Doncaster !!
              do you not think his views are pretty significant? I do. There are plenty of people around with views like his. I think he, and they are very dangerous.
              As an interesting comparison, I recently heard a UN official claim that the "sustainable" level for the human population was probably around 9 billion.
              There is a lot of talk about people who have serious population reduction agendas, but the point about JG is that he is a putting forward his views in a respectable publication, and that his views being put into the mainstream media.
              I see a connection with the medial ethics questions.Maybe others don't.
              Last edited by teamsaint; 05-03-12, 23:43.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• scottycelt

Perhaps I misunderstood your point. Scotty was off-topic since the discussion about the cardinal and gay marriage is on a different thread. You seemed to be suggesting that he was on topic and the rest of us were off topic.

That was my point
                No, Amateur, bless him, was simply acknowledging what Scotty himself had expressed in his relevant post.

Scotty may have been momentarily and marginally off-topic, but he can't help but wonder just who introduced the Cardinal into the discussion in the first place ... ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                  No, Amateur, bless him, was simply acknowledging what Scotty himself had expressed in his relevant post.

Scotty may have been momentarily and marginally off-topic, but he can't help but wonder just who introduced the Cardinal into the discussion in the first place ... ?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    I shall shortly be deleting Scotty's comment here . Anyway, mine was a mere one-liner, not intended for development

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      funny that they both come from Doncaster !!
                      do you not think his views are pretty significant?
                      Well, I can't say I do at present, since I'd never heard of him. Having checked his Wikipedia entry, I'm still not sure where to find his published comments on population reduction, though I see how they might tie in with his views on climate change. Perhaps you could give me a link?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Well, I can't say I do at present, since I'd never heard of him. Having checked his Wikipedia entry, I'm still not sure where to find his published comments on population reduction, though I see how they might tie in with his views on climate change. Perhaps you could give me a link?
                        He is a pretty big noise in the financial world, from what I can see.

here is the link(which I put in post no 13)

Lets just say I would rather have the other Jeremy from Doncaster in charge.............and I'm not too keen on him either !!

Comment

Working...
                        X