X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

scotty
    I wondered when you would find time to enter this thread by carefully evading the issue!

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Ho hum Scotty - if you'd read the item you linked to you would have realised that my comment about Ben couldn't be heterophobia, since I don't express irrational fear of him, certainly don't feel any aversion toward him (rather the opposite ), or discriminate against him - indeed, I welcome his involvement in Stonewall.

Now, why don't you address O'Brien's homophobia?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

Because that would be a Cardinal sin!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Because that would be a Cardinal sin!

Comment

• John Skelton

[QUOTE=Flosshilde;138000]But we're not actually talking about football as such - just the impact that a high profile footbaler coming out would have on public attitudes (especially school pupils')./QUOTE]

This might be interesting http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...er-gay-players

(No one has yet managed to identify 'the Secret Footballer'. Fulham's Captain Danny Murphy was one of the favourites, but he says it isn't him. Though I suppose he would say that if it was him, of course).

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Ho hum Scotty - if you'd read the item you linked to you would have realised that my comment about Ben couldn't be heterophobia, since I don't express irrational fear of him, certainly don't feel any aversion toward him (rather the opposite ), or discriminate against him - indeed, I welcome his involvement in Stonewall.

Well, I was kindly invited by another tolerant member not to even bother to contribute to this thread ... I accepted his wise advice for as long as I possibly could.

To accuse the Cardinal of 'homophobia' just because, like so many others, he happens to continue to believe that the institution of marriage should be reserved for a man and woman is grossly absurd. Are you suggesting that anyone who has the courage to stand up to the apparently all-powerful 'gay lobby' should be automatically silenced because some can't bear to even listen to what he has to say?

In any case, Cardinal O'Brien was the not the first religious leader to comment on the matter. The equally fearless Anglican Archbishop of York, Dr Sentamu, has also done so, and, whilst there were a few muted and predictable 'protests' by the inevitable university students, there was nothing like the same fuss in the media. One cannot help but wonder 'why?'.

This very title of this thread, and the encouraged bile and puerile prejudice that it generated, illustrates only too clearly where the real bigotries and phobias may lie, and it also hardly needs adding that I fully agree with what both the Cardinal and Archbishop had to say on the subject. I read both statements and there was nothing very remarkable about either ... any 'inflammatory' talk and supposed 'hate' seems to have come from the 'gay lobby' itself.

Hope that's now clear enough for you, Floss ... and as I've nothing more of substance to add to this thread I'm simply (and sensibly?) going to leave it at that!

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                To accuse the Cardinal of 'homophobia' just because, like so many others, he happens to continue to believe that the institution of marriage should be reserved for a man and woman is grossly absurd. Are you suggesting that anyone who has the courage to stand up to the apparently all-powerful 'gay lobby' should be automatically silenced because some can't bear to even listen to what he has to say?

In any case, Cardinal O'Brien was the not the first religious leader to comment on the matter. The equally fearless Anglican Archbishop of York, Dr Sentamu, has also done so, and, whilst there were a few muted and predictable 'protests' by the inevitable university students, there was nothing like the same fuss in the media. One cannot help but wonder 'why?'.
                To make such an accusation solely on those grounds, whilst perhaps not necessarily "absurd", is undoubtedly questionable - and you're correct, of course about Dr. Sentamu's input into this matter - but ultimately these people are expressing opinions on the subject, however deeply felt, which seem to me (admittedly as a non-Christian) to sit uncomfortably alongside the kind of Christian compassion (surely one of the most notable characteristics and legacies of Christ) that one might have good reason to expect from them and which would not of itself admit of the treatment of homosexuals as second-class citizens to the extent of their being denied a fundamental human right that is open to heterosexuals.

I cannot comment on the apparent differences in response to the Cardinal's and the Archbishop's pronouncements on the matter except to submit that I'm not sure that this is of as much importance as you may believe it to be, because it's obviosuly far less significant that what they each said.

I trust that you will not find my response any more "bilious" than indeed it is, but the point still stands.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

This very title of this thread, and the encouraged bile and puerile prejudice that it generated, illustrates only too clearly where the real bigotries and phobias may lie, and it also hardly needs adding that I fully agree with what both the Cardinal and Archbishop had to say on the subject. I read both statements and there was nothing very remarkable about either ... any 'inflammatory' talk and supposed 'hate' seems to have come from the 'gay lobby' itself.

Hope that's now clear enough for you, Floss ... and as I've nothing more of substance to add to this thread I'm simply (and sensibly?) going to leave it at that!

I love the bit about "real bigotries"
                  the only response is Baa ......... the Catholic sheep return to the fold !

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Hope that's now clear enough for you, Floss
                    It's what I would have expected from you, Scotty.

and as I've nothing more of substance to add to this thread I'm simply (and sensibly?) going to leave it at that!
                    Should that be "as I've nothing of substance ..."? I should learn from experience & not expect you to address any of the inaccuracies & assumptions in the Cardinal's comments; presumably you believe that what he says is right, or is it more that you have an in-built reaction not to question anything any church official says?

Perhaps the tolerant member you referred to was right.

Comment

• amateur51

The Archbish is clearly guilty of heterosexism - a value system that insists that heterosexuals are superior to homosexuals.

And I'll see your Archbish of York and raise you a Bishop of Salisbury, scotty

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/02/03...-gay-marriage/

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

More from Entartete Music by Gavin Plumley

Shock - horror?

Friends from Vienna sent me a postcard of the Barberini Faun this weekend. It's an astonishing piece of art. The sleeping man could be by ...
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                        X