X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    It would be no less biblical than having church bells.
    But the latter would certainly put me off "a union"

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      But the latter would certainly put me off "a union"
      Erm, what would? Church bells?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        Erm, what would? Church bells?
        Spot on, Lat!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Spot on, Lat!
          Yes, quite. As for Chaldon's magnificent if not wholly reassuring mural.........

http://www.paintedchurch.org/chald1.jpg

(Footnote - This church mural predates marriage)
          Last edited by Guest; 04-03-12, 18:28.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I think that might be a legal loophole rather than a statement of a basic human right. It says 'without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion', but doesn't say there might not be other limitations. In fact, aren't the rights of 12-15 year olds being infringed by insisting that both parties should be 'of full age'?
            Frenchie, Article 2 of the declaration says
            "Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status."

The list is not exclusive, but examples ("such as") of distinctions that should not be made.

Anyway, as I said, O'Brien is interpreting (wrongly) "men and women" to mean men to women, an interpretation based on his own beliefs about marriage, not on anything inherent in marriage itself.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Yes, The Right unWorshipful and disHonourable Cardinal O'Brien's piece is sickening - a rationalisation of a prejudice.

But the school report is heartening, the kids are the future...
              the recent playground (and other) usage of "gay" is depressing and damaging though... once you were QUEER BASTARD, then you became a sort of cool accessory for hetero couples, then there was one cabinet minister, then three, then David Beckham said he was fine with gay fans enjoying (ah, so that's what it was called) his photos, well it was all going rather well wasn't it? But then the Church, oh GOD the Church, and then "it's a bit gay isn't it"...

20 years ago and some people were talking about school and how was it for you, and I said "hated every day" and meant it - but couldn't then say why. It ruined my life and I still sometimes feel I'm STILL trying not to let it... can you hear that, Cardinal?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Yes, The Right unWorshipful and disHonourable Cardinal O'Brien's piece is sickening - a rationalisation of a prejudice.

the recent playground (and other) usage of "gay" is depressing and damaging though... once you were QUEER BASTARD, then you became a sort of cool accessory for hetero couples, then there was one cabinet minister, then three, then David Beckham said he was fine with gay fans enjoying (ah, so that's what it was called) his photos, well it was all going rather well wasn't it? But then the Church, oh GOD the Church, and then "it's a bit gay isn't it"...

20 years ago and some people were talking about school and how was it for you, and I said "hated every day" and meant it - but couldn't then say why. It ruined my life and I still sometimes feel I'm STILL trying not to let it... can you hear that, Cardinal?
                Sadly, he probably can't, but he certainly won't if you don't give free rein to expressing it!

It never ceases to astonish me that, even today, we still find ourselves up against these prejudices which one might have hoped that changes in the law over the years would have cast to the outer darkness of history well before now; what also saddens me even more is that, then, as now, those prejudices are often more virulent against women than against men. Why should that be? I have less than no idea...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

It's possibly related to traditional roles and gender stereotypes: virgin, whore, maid, mother, carer, ornament, trophy... these are all roles which serve or relate to others, so for women to be taking pleasure in each other - in themselves - is seen as "selfish", even "barren", breaking up the potential for the family unit and for childrearing, and threatening to some - I stress some - men, who won't like the idea of women not needing them. Gay women have often cultivated a very nondescript (or sometimes agressively plain), "mannish" appearance, stripping away the acoutrements of "femininity" to give at least a subtle message of identity and self-expression, but that has been seen as "unattractive" and "undesirable", even slovenly or "threatening", again denying the male view (often reinforced by decorated, dressed-up, heterosexual women) its usual gratifications. Pop culture, especially in the 1980s, fed off (and into) all these images bountifully. And, tellingly, allowed men to "dress up" even if they weren't gay.

It is all about expectation and continuity, the fear of the "alien" presence in a domestic, patriarchal world.

Of course it's easier now... but almost as if as attitudes generally improve, the remaining outposts of prejudice fight even more fiercely to cling to their atavisms.

But if just one (or three) Premiership Footballers could come out... well, imagine...!
                  What a news day that will be. As an inveterate media-watcher, I hope I'm alive to see it.

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Sadly, he probably can't, but he certainly won't if you don't give free rein to expressing it!

It never ceases to astonish me that, even today, we still find ourselves up against these prejudices which one might have hoped that changes in the law over the years would have cast to the outer darkness of history well before now; what also saddens me even more is that, then, as now, those prejudices are often more virulent against women than against men. Why should that be? I have less than no idea...
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-03-12, 03:46.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

a footballer coming out would be very important indeed.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

A great post, jlw - you've expressed my similar experience perfectly ... hated every day at my top-class all-boys grammar school and each day still brings its own challenges. Some people tell me I sound bitter - you betcha! But I'm thrilled to see things getting better for school kids and young adults today and bozos like this Cardinal must know that this is their last huzzah.

Comment

• amateur51

But if just one (or three) Premiership Footballers could come out... well, imagine...!
                        What a news day that will be. As an inveterate media-watcher, I hope I'm alive to see it.
                        Too right!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Just heard the Cardinal trying to wriggle out of his homophobia on R4
                          one comment that made me smile was
                          "He no playa the game, he no maka the rules."

(shame about it's origin )

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, The Right unWorshipful and disHonourable Cardinal O'Brien. . .
                            repeated his nonsense on R4's Today programme (sometime between 7.30 and 8 IIRC). On a lighter note: Rabbi Lionel Blue in Thought for the Day mentioned a gay couple walking behind a hetero couple having a blazing row, with one of the gay chaps saying to his companion: see what comes of mixed marriage!
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Just heard the Cardinal trying to wriggle out of his homophobia on R4
                              one comment that made me smile was
                              "He no playa the game, he no maka the rules."

(shame about it's origin )
                              MrGongGong

"He no playa the game, he no maka the rules" was used at a press conference at the Vatican by a retired American general who had just been appointed as a good will ambassador to the Holy See.
                              He was referring to the Pope's views on unmarried mothers. There was an enormous fuss, official apologies etc.etc. and he was immediately recalled !

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                                MrGongGong

"He no playa the game, he no maka the rules" was used at a press conference at the Vatican by a retired American general who had just been appointed as a good will ambassador to the Holy See.
                                He was referring to the Pope's views on unmarried mothers. There was an enormous fuss, official apologies etc.etc. and he was immediately recalled !
                                Indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X