X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Segilla
    • Nov 2010

Help needed to name a tune

The theme music for the BBC B&W TV series Animal Vegetable Mineral? was by ...

Telemann?

Or can anyone please name a well-known melody of his which is tunefully original?

Thanks
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Segilla View Post
    The theme music for the BBC B&W TV series Animal Vegetable Mineral? was by ...
    Bach.

It's the Preludio from the Partita No 3, BWV 1006.

You can hear a tinny snatch of it here. You need RealPlayer to listen I think. Or take my word - I've just checked on my recording of the Sonatas and Partitas (couldn't remember which one it was).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Bach.

It's the Preludio from the Partita No 3, BWV 1006.

You can hear a tinny snatch of it here. You need RealPlayer to listen I think. Or take my word - I've just checked on my recording of the Sonatas and Partitas (couldn't remember which one it was).
      That explains why it sounds so weird on my PC. I'll take your word for it!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

this?

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• rauschwerk
          • Nov 2010

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know, it's not gospel truth), there was no TV series with that title.

A piece by Telemann was used for The Brains Trust: it was Tilting at Windmills from the Don Quixote suite. In those far-off days it was played in a plodding manner, but recent HIPP performances are very lively and enjoyable.

Comment

• Segilla
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
            According to Wikipedia (yes, I know, it's not gospel truth), there was no TV series with that title.

A piece by Telemann was used for The Brains Trust: it was Tilting at Windmills from the Don Quixote suite. In those far-off days it was played in a plodding manner, but recent HIPP performances are very lively and enjoyable.
            Thanks for the Don Quixote information. That's what I was looking for.

There most certainly was a long-running series of 'Animal, Vegetable, Mineral' (1952–60). It was a quiz game, an archaeological variant of Twenty Questions.

Sir Mortimer Wheeler was a regular participant. Amusing and canny he knew the contents of many museums from their catalogues.
            The somewhat sour Julian Huxley was another regular. I think that Glyn --- was the chairman.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I think that Glyn --- was the chairman.
              Dr Glyn Daniel, Fellow of Clare Coll Cam. For whom the words suave and urbane were invented. The clip I linked to is a short video piece with GD and Sir Mortimer W.

Calum - yes, that's the jobbie! On the Animal, Vegetable, Mineral clip it's so distorted I thought at first it was a string band rather than a solo. What is Wikipedia on about? They said, 'Contrary to some reports, there was NO TV programme called Animal, Vegetable, Mineral'???
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Segilla
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                What is Wikipedia on about? They said, 'Contrary to some reports, there was NO TV programme called Animal, Vegetable, Mineral'???
                Glyn Daniel. Yes, that's him and I agree with the decription of him.

From Wiki articles:-

Julian Huxley.
                Later, he was a regular panelist on one of the BBC's first quiz shows (1955) Animal, Vegetable, Mineral? in which participants were asked to talk about objects chosen from museum and university collections.

Mortimer Wheeler
                He appeared in three television series that aimed to bring archaeology to the public: 'Animal, Vegetable, Mineral' (1952–60), which was a quiz game, an archaeological variant of Twenty Questions, ... .

Spotting errors in Wiki articles being one of my pursuits, if you can give me the source where the denial is stated I will correct it. And it looks as if Wheeler's article needs a ? !

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Spotting errors in Wiki articles being one of my pursuits, if you can give me the source where the denial is stated I will correct it.
                  I was just responding (incredulously) to rauschwerk's Msg #5, hence the three ???s

I hope Wikipedia would accept this as proof of the programme's existence. And the clip seems to clinch the matter.

See also this! (NB We are now in 2012...)

Comment

Working...
                  X