• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

An interesting day's programmes

I wonder what people feel about this? Looking at the schedule for Sunday 11 March, some people might feel there's not enough of what they would like (i.e. not enough classical music ), but, that aside, if each programme is up to its top standard it seemed to me to embody exactly what R3 should be. Several programmes I wouldn't personally listen to but that seems entirely right for the best part of an entire day's programming (not forgetting the previous TTN). Any thoughts?

13:00
    The Early Music Show: Bach in Leipzig
    Lucie Skeaping explores the time Johann Sebastian Bach spent working as cantor in Leipzig (see The Choir later)
    14:00
    Sunday Concert: Royal Liverpool Philharmonic: Music Nation
    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under Christian Lindberg in Nielsen, Grieg and Sibelius.
    16:00
    Choral Evensong: Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford
    From Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford.
    17:00
    The Choir: St Thomas Boys' Choir, Leipzig
    Aled Jones marks the 800th anniversary of the St Thomas Boys' Choir in Leipzig.
    18:30
    Words and Music: The Haunting
    Texts and music on the theme of haunting, with readings by Emilia Fox and Jamie Glover.
    19:45
    Sunday Feature: Swansea's Other Poet
    The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, on the poetry of Vernon Watkins.
    20:30
    Drama on 3: Chowringhee
    Mani Shankar Mukerji's gentle comedy set in a grand Calcutta hotel in the late 1950s.
    22:00
    World Routes: World Routes Academy, 2012, London Programme
    Lucy Duran with a session by World Routes Academy protege and accordionist Jose Hernando.
    23:00
    Jazz Line-Up: Kit Downes and Special Guests
    Julian Joseph presents concert music from pianist Kit Downes and special guests.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Don Petter

It does look fairly civilised (though too much human voice for me).
    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-12, 17:02. Reason: My spelling wasn't civilised!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      It does look fairly civilsed (though too much human voice for me).
      I think this is something about Sundays in general at the moment. A reasonable point to make. I liked the linking of The Early Music Show with The Choir. The programme about Vernon Watkins a rare 'serious' talk on poetry, and I hope Williams will be illuminating.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

I'm sure I shall enjoy Breakfast, Sunday Morning and Private Passions on that day too

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          I'm sure I shall enjoy Breakfast, Sunday Morning and Private Passions on that day too
          Martin Handley, James Jolly and PPs guest Trevor Peacock. So could be worse - no playlists for any of the programmes yet.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

there's a programme about St Thomas's Leipzig on Radio 4 Tuesday 6th March too. (11:30am) - repeated Saturday 10th, 3:30pm.
            are they celebrating an anniversary or something ? answer, yes they are <doh>

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Martin Handley, James Jolly and PPs guest Trevor Peacock. So could be worse - no playlists for any of the programmes yet.
              Oh no - not more anti (oh my Darling) Clemency and (once favourite Uncle) Rob feeling surely.......

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

.... and Jazz Library in the middle of the night features Paul motian a very talented jazz drummer with many fine recordings ...
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

and then again ....

Some of the UK's leading orchestras and choirs are taking part in more than 100 performances across the UK to mark Music Nation weekend.

Violinist Nicola Benedetti and singer and composer Rufus Wainwright are among those featured in the countdown event to the London 2012 Festival.

It will see 18 new works performed, with more than 10,000 participants across the country, as part of the Cultural Olympiad.

It will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3.

Highlights include:

The UK premiere of Rufus Wainwright's setting of five of Shakespeare's Sonnets, performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
                  The Ulster and RTÉ Concert orchestras collaborating for the first time on stage in Belfast.
                  A Sporting Fanfare, performed by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and featuring violinist Nicola Benedetti in Glasgow.
                  The world premiere of Swansea-born composer Karl Jenkins' Songs of the Earth, performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales.
                  The world premiere of John Joubert's Cello Concerto, played by the Northern Chamber Orchestra.
                  Seth Lakeman, the BBC Concert Orchestra and the Devon and Cornwall Family Orchestras and Choruses will perform at the Plymouth Pavilions.

Controller Roger Wright said Radio 3 would be "clearing its schedule" to cover the "unique UK-wide musical event".

"From Brahms to Rufus Wainwright, we'll be bringing our millions of listeners a riveting mix of the weekend's important orchestral programming as part of the London 2012 celebrations."
                  did we miss this or was i not paying any attention at the back?
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    did we miss this or was i not paying any attention at the back?
                    I was just reading about that. Radio 3 appears to be the BBC's 'Host Broadcaster' ("As the host broadcaster for Music Nation").

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I wonder what people feel about this? Looking at the schedule for Sunday 11 March, some people might feel there's not enough of what they would like (i.e. not enough classical music ), but, that aside, if each programme is up to its top standard it seemed to me to embody exactly what R3 should be. Several programmes I wouldn't personally listen to but that seems entirely right for the best part of an entire day's programming (not forgetting the previous TTN). Any thoughts?

13:00
                      The Early Music Show: Bach in Leipzig
                      Lucie Skeaping explores the time Johann Sebastian Bach spent working as cantor in Leipzig (see The Choir later)
                      14:00
                      Sunday Concert: Royal Liverpool Philharmonic: Music Nation
                      Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under Christian Lindberg in Nielsen, Grieg and Sibelius.
                      16:00
                      Choral Evensong: Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford
                      From Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford.
                      17:00
                      The Choir: St Thomas Boys' Choir, Leipzig
                      Aled Jones marks the 800th anniversary of the St Thomas Boys' Choir in Leipzig.
                      18:30
                      Words and Music: The Haunting
                      Texts and music on the theme of haunting, with readings by Emilia Fox and Jamie Glover.
                      19:45
                      Sunday Feature: Swansea's Other Poet
                      The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, on the poetry of Vernon Watkins.
                      20:30
                      Drama on 3: Chowringhee
                      Mani Shankar Mukerji's gentle comedy set in a grand Calcutta hotel in the late 1950s.
                      22:00
                      World Routes: World Routes Academy, 2012, London Programme
                      Lucy Duran with a session by World Routes Academy protege and accordionist Jose Hernando.
                      23:00
                      Jazz Line-Up: Kit Downes and Special Guests
                      Julian Joseph presents concert music from pianist Kit Downes and special guests.
                      Well some of it is OK!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Well some of it is OK!
                        'OK' (or 'not OK') in what respect?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

This schedule looks good to me - and "Music Nation" too. Nice that there are things to be able to say "yes" to.

I still feel that Jazz Library should be returned to its former slot. I don't think I have seen any comment on the site in support of the current Saturday afternoons.

It is also unhelpful that World Routes - the flagship - is the main victim of the plays at varying length. Personally, if I really had to sacrifice a bit of non-classical music for that reason - and obviously I wouldn't be keen to do that in an ideal world - I would run any longer play a little into one of the episodes of Late Junction.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-03-12, 22:42.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

'OK' (or 'not OK') in what respect?
                            It is an interesting selection - when i say some of it is OK, for my personal tastes there's not a lot I would stay in for or take time out on iplayer to catch up on, but it is good solid programming and appears free from celebrity choices and phone-ins.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              I still feel that Jazz Library should be returned to its former slot. I don't think I have seen any comment on the site in support of the current Saturday afternoons.
                              I specifically asked RW whether there was a prospect of giving JL another daytime slot but it seems the current strategy - to push 'classical music to the broader audience' - has replaced the earlier strategy to promote R3 as 'not just a classical music station'. So all the non-classical music that was being heavily promoted ten years ago has either been dropped totally or moved into less favourable slots. All part of a Master Plan, against which ... .

The new schedule has moved the play on half an hour so that Words & Music can be brought to the early evening (nothing to be said about that as some people love the idea, others preferred the late night slot).

I'd probably only go, personally, for four of the programmes listed but I still think overall the schedule looks a bit more like a class act.

Comment

Working...
                              X