X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Oh, I was thinking Ectoplasm as regards to Englebert! The voting is so rigid (has been since the Eastern Bloc has been included) it's a farce and I reckon if you had Adele as the UK entry no-one would vote for us (and good thing as well because surely we don't want the expense of hosting the next one, as mentioned by Flossie upthread) One comment in, think it was The Guardian, said the choice of EH was the best ironic icon we could field to show the others we don't give a damn about Eurovision.
    Well, as long as I don't have to watch it on a plasma screen they can do what they want to, I guess.

At least they've not put forward either of those famous Scottish ladies Charlotte Jenkins or Katherine Church...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

At least they've not put forward either of those famous Scottish ladies Charlotte Jenkins or Katherine Church...
      ... and why not .... a considerable spell visiting Azerbaijan by them would be most welcome ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Why not have him singing in Franglais as he did all those years ago in 'Les Bicyclettes de Belsize' and 'Dommage Dommage'.
        Do we have a closet EH fan amongst us? You seem familiar with his repertoire ! It's funny, we all say we never watch it but we all have an opinion. Personally, I wouldn't ever miss a single Eurovision, it's so much fun once it gets to the voting!!

Comment

• amateur51

Do we have a closet EH fan amongst us? You seem familiar with his repertoire ! It's funny, we all say we never watch it but we all have an opinion. Personally, I wouldn't ever miss a single Eurovision, it's so much fun once it gets to the voting!!
          Agreed Anna!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Ah, but would it be great if they found someone the calibre of Englebert Humperdinck, the composer of Hansel & Gretel.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

To comment or not? I guess you have to look at it as a phenomenon of sorts. John Peel did.

For the UK to win, I still think Welsh is the answer -

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                ... Englebert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest.
                I blame the Brussels Bureaucrats ... it's all just a German-inspired plot to ensure we get the mandatory 'nul points' ... why weren't we ever offered a referendum on the matter, Mr Cameron?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Anna and am - If you had read #10 I don't think you would have made the accusation - I have a knowledge of 60s music coupled with a deep dislike of EH. He is often bracketed with Tom Jones, they were very different Tom was the one who could sing! When it comes to watching Eurovision it is better with R2 sound for Ken Bruce's comments. However any relationship between votes cast and the quality of the songs is geographical coincidence.
                  Last edited by cloughie; 02-03-12, 22:39.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Ah, but would it be great if they found someone the calibre of Englebert Humperdinck, the composer of Hansel & Gretel.
                    Now he could deliver a good tune!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      He is often bracketed with Tom Jones, they were very different Tom was the one who could sing!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                      X