X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Humperdinck for Eurovision!!!

Great news that Englebert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest. If the Dream Pantomime doesn't swing the vote our way, then there really is no justice.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    Great news that Englebert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest. If the Dream Pantomime doesn't swing the vote our way, then there really is no justice.
    What's great about it (other than the prospect of one pleonastic absurdity outdoing another)? There is no justice, by the way; I thought that you already knew that. Mind you, I daresay Richard Ingrams (so named, I suppose, because one always measures the weight of his writings in grams) will enjoy having it written up in The Oldie.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Lets hope the UK doesn't win - if 'we' do 'we' will have to put on the next competition. After forking out for the Olympics I don't think there's any money left.

Still, perhaps it will be put on by BSkyB as part of their wonderful arts patronage.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        pleonastic
        Is that the word of the day?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The Nordic countries will still all vote for one another, as will as the former Communist states. We're no less isolated in this respect than we are in other European arenas. Perhaps Mr. Dorsey will get somebody to write him a song called Please Re-Release Me?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            Lets hope the UK doesn't win - if 'we' do 'we' will have to put on the next competition. After forking out for the Olympics I don't think there's any money left.

Still, perhaps it will be put on by BSkyB as part of their wonderful arts patronage.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

And you accuse Sky Arts of showing endless repeats!! You're like a stuck record.....
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

a stuck record
                Preferable to listening to Eurocr*p...
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Is that the word of the day?
                  I cannot say and it is not really for me to decide anyway, but I would hope that its currency would exceed a further 24 hours as the word pleonasm's been around in the English language since at least as far back as 1586 (according to OED) and, since its derivation is from the Latin, its origins are obviously far older even that that!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Never liked him, liked him even less when the awful 'Release Me' kept the Beatles off No 1, he's got an awful voice, holding the note is a challenge - ideal for Eurovision nil points. I understand his choice was swayed by his popularity in Eastern Europe - they can have him.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                      • Nov 2010

"It's so unfair!!" Sir Cliff Richard

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        the word pleonasm's been around in the English language since at least as far back as 1586
                        Neoplasm might have been just as appropriate
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Neoplasm might have been just as appropriate
                          Oh, I was thinking Ectoplasm as regards to Englebert! The voting is so rigid (has been since the Eastern Bloc has been included) it's a farce and I reckon if you had Adele as the UK entry no-one would vote for us (and good thing as well because surely we don't want the expense of hosting the next one, as mentioned by Flossie upthread) One comment in, think it was The Guardian, said the choice of EH was the best ironic icon we could field to show the others we don't give a damn about Eurovision.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

well there is always Ken Dodd ..... might tickle a few Azerbaijan votes ....
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Oh, I was thinking Ectoplasm as regards to Englebert! The voting is so rigid (has been since the Eastern Bloc has been included) it's a farce and I reckon if you had Adele as the UK entry no-one would vote for us (and good thing as well because surely we don't want the expense of hosting the next one, as mentioned by Flossie upthread) One comment in, think it was The Guardian, said the choice of EH was the best ironic icon we could field to show the others we don't give a damn about Eurovision.
                              Why not have him singing in Franglais as he did all those years ago in 'Les Bicyclettes de Belsize' and 'Dommage Dommage'. Perhaps it could be dommage limitation exercise to woo the French speaking vote!

Comment

Working...
                              X