X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    We all have our favourites but I suspect that my formative music years were the 60s where yours were the 70s!
    yes, I think the last 'popular' music which I followed wd have been the Kinks in about 1966; I wd have been fourteen.

Since then - Bach, early music, keyboard music, the baroque, and then on to the classical and early romantic repertoire...

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      yes, I think the last 'popular' music which I followed wd have been the Kinks in about 1966; I wd have been fourteen.

Since then - Bach, early music, keyboard music, the baroque, and then on to the classical and early romantic repertoire...

With SAHB you got all that and more.........
      well perhaps not, but you certainly got a few (nice) surprises.

If you stopped with pop after the Kinks, you certainly quit while you were ahead !
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        With SAHB you got all that and more.........
        well perhaps not, but you certainly got a few (nice) surprises.

If you stopped with pop after the Kinks, you certainly quit while you were ahead !
        But missed out on some gems in the year or three afterwards!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

But missed out on some gems in the year or three afterwards!
          True.

Trouble for me with pop these is finding those gems.
          Can't even get my kids to do it.
          Daughter like all my 60's 70's 80's stuff, and sons like weird things !!
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

And hardly SAHB or The Jam. (or Bowie, or the stranglers , or XTC, .............)
            For youngsters - 10,11, 12, 13 - the Top 30 was more or less the only access. 1974, 1975 and 1976 were odd, rather fallow, years. In fact, so was 1977 in chart terms which, when you look at it now, wasn't very punk rock.

Less of a lot of things, good and very bad, than were there in the early 1970s - folk, reggae, glam, heavy rock. There was a lot of efficiently produced bombast - ELO, Queen. Commercially, there was only the merest hint of the faded glamour of Berlin era Bowie and Reed, even Roxy, all highly respected in album terms, particularly now. Kraftwerk arrived with a "novelty" single.

Singer-songwriters were mainly for the thirty-somethings. Soul had gone very soft. Abba, of course, were huge. So too the burnt out end of the hippies that was country rock, not that we necessarily saw images then of their private jets and convoys of trucks.

10CC seemed very appealing. Intelligent, clever, innovative, witty. Art rock without any of the emotional baggage. Ironically, precisely for all of these reasons, they very quickly lost any long-term critical acclaim. With hindsight, one would have to say they were a bit soulless; too arch, mathematical, coolly knowing.

Still, there was a time. That time. I would have chosen them more than most. There still is a bit of that obviously. I could now stick them alongside, say, XTC and find convincing enough linkages in my head, recognising fully that not many others would.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-03-12, 19:22.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

XTC produced about 8 albums of quite exceptional quality.(although oddly, not really until the 3rd album).
              I strongly urge anyone who is interested in rock/pop, and who has somehow missed out on their work, to investigate NOW.

Partridge/Moulding deserve to be rated among this country's finest songwriters in my opinion.

If you want advice on where to start, just ask !!

(sorry but you know how it is....)

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

XTC produced about 8 albums of quite exceptional quality.(although oddly, not really until the 3rd album). I strongly urge anyone who is interested in rock/pop, and who has somehow missed out on their work, to investigate NOW. Partridge/Moulding deserve to be rated among this country's finest songwriters in my opinion. If you want advice on where to start, just ask !! (sorry but you know how it is....)
                I am fully with you. I might even say more than eight. Apple Venus One must on no account be dismissed.

The day I don't get a ticket for a respected orchestra opening Glastonbury with a section of Vaughan Williams's "A London Symphony" and then going directly into XTC with "Green Man". Let's just say I will be jumping over the fence. Otherwise, I probably won't ever go back there.

Regrettably it won't happen. That age old issue with them of stage fright. The fact that any plants and stones on the site would at that moment grow into those attending and actually become them. Once that could have been accommodated with some ease. Now the commercial side of it would completely freak out.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Apple Venus one is one of their best.

Which XTC album to take to a desert Island is a VERY hard game to play........though Nonsuch often wins it just for the sheer quantity of great songs.
                  Often 60's influenced, but never derivative.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

10CC seemed very appealing. Intelligent, clever, innovative, witty. Art rock without any of the emotional baggage. Ironically, precisely for all of these reasons, they very quickly lost any long-term critical acclaim. With hindsight, one would have to say they were a bit soulless, too arch, mathematical, coolly knowing.
                    They should have been an 'Album' band but now they are remembered more for their singles. They wrote some very clever lyrics. Sheet Music is particularly good, and to write music with the atmosphere of a lovesong and then call it 'I'm not in love' - who were they kidding?. And 'Rubber Bullets' was the 'Jailhouse Rock' for the 70s.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

They should have been an 'Album' band but now they are remembered more for their singles. They wrote some very clever lyrics. Sheet Music is particularly good, and to write music with the atmosphere of a lovesong and then call it 'I'm not in love' - who were they kidding?. And 'Rubber Bullets' was the 'Jailhouse Rock' for the 70s.
                      I have a very soft spot for "I'm Mandy Fly Me".

Hell, what are we doing? It is 2012 and this is Radio 3. Sort of.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        I have a very soft spot for "I'm Mandy Fly Me".

Hell, what are we doing? It is 2012 and this is Radio 3. Sort of.
                        That's the power of music!

I remember this programme and such albums such as Weather Report's Heavy Weather and 10cc Sheet Music were discussed in detail on the programme.

'Created in 1967, BBC Radio 3 was dedicated primarily to broadcasting live and recorded performances of classical music. Derek Jewell hosted what was known as the only "rock" show on the radio station, the weekly Sounds Interesting, although in addition to rock, Jewell hosted performers playing a wide range of experimental and even improvisational music.'

Perhaps RW should bring this back - but who would host it -Stuart Maconie?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

That's the power of music! I remember this programme and such albums such as Weather Report's Heavy Weather and 10cc Sheet Music were discussed in detail on the programme. 'Created in 1967, BBC Radio 3 was dedicated primarily to broadcasting live and recorded performances of classical music. Derek Jewell hosted what was known as the only "rock" show on the radio station, the weekly Sounds Interesting, although in addition to rock, Jewell hosted performers playing a wide range of experimental and even improvisational music.' Perhaps RW should bring this back - but who would host it -Stuart Maconie?
                          Yes, well, Heavy Weather was terrific. You look at Zawinul in 2011. He had a piece played at the Proms by Viktoria Mullova and Matthew Barley which was also on an accompanying cd. Another of his was on the University of Gnawa cd which was probably my favourite world music release of last year, what with its links to Orchestre National de Barbes. Legacy!

Maconie? Yes, good for me. Hepworth is right in voice and outlook although some might say a little difficult? Max could do it easily. He already does in a way. And then young Tom Ravenscroft might develop further.

Comment

Working...
                          X