• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Davy Jones

has sadly passed away.

the Monkees were one of the good things back then. A highlight of the week for those of us of the right age, and the music has stood the test of time well.

They brought us great fun, and great tunes, and that is more than enough.

Listening to the beginning of "Daydream Believer" will never be the same again.

Thanks Davy.

RIP
    Last edited by teamsaint; 29-02-12, 22:42.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    has sadly passed away.

the Monkees were one of the good things back then. A highlight of the week for those of us of the right age, and the music has stood the test of time well.

The brought us great fun, and great tunes, and that is more than enough.

Listening to the beginning of "Daydream Believer" will never be the same again.

Thanks Davy.

RIP
    What a shock! The only British Monkee.

I wonder if Gold will do a tribute tonight?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I am sorry to hear this news.

My first memory of the Monkees isn't a memory at all. It is knowing that as a four or five year old in a home where the black and white television wasn't on very often, the Monkees' programme was definitely one that I occasionally "watched". In a peculiar way, it merges in my mind with Daktari. Odd how the brain works with names and images at that age. That is carried forward.

The second is being very aware that at least three Monkees' hits were staple inclusions for "blast from the past" moments in pop radio in the early 1970s. ("Daydream Believer" by John Stewart of the Kingston Trio, "Last Train to Clarksville" and Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer"). Yes, history was created quickly then. There was also interesting solo stuff by Mike Nesmith from that time.

The third is much later. It was the joyous moment when I realised that it was a very rare thing to find songs that were genuinely happy sounding and uplifting. The next part of that revelation was to understand how difficult that was to do in a way that didn't seem crass. Suddenly all of the years of music aimed at teenage gloom seemed not only cynical and essentially motionless but also just far too easy. The other part was to fly in the face of that arch student cleverness "only misery can be cool". So, yes, "Daydream Believer" then looked like a fantastic piece of work to which you could add perhaps the Beach Boys, some of the Lovin Spoonful, Arthur Lee and Love, albeit in a strange way, and a huge amount by the Mamas and the Papas and Mama Cass.

The fourth was building a small library of music from the 1960s, most of which was in my lifetime but essentially newish because I couldn't remember it from that time. In terms of credibility, it was always going to be easier to have the Velvet Underground there and they are but the Monkees are in there too. Too good not to be and the time was right. Post Bhundus and The Farm had covered "Stepping Stone". In terms of album content, they were of a quality and range not always acknowledged.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-03-12, 02:15.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Yes, they were good fun, rather in the film style of the Beatles in "Help" and "A Hard Day's Night". I did not realise that he was older than me. I remember him as the little boy of the band.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Their film, Head, was truly bizarre. It even had Frank Zappa, walking a cow (or was it a bull), IIRC.

Sorry to see Davy Jones is no more.

[A bull it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI-SDYGviM ]

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I was quite shocked when someone to0ld me of the news. I loved the TV series of 'The Monkees'. It was indeed a highlight of the week when I was of a much younger age!! RIP Davey Jones
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

gulp poor lad was not older than me! ...ah yes a Saturday afternoon, pause the jam session, light up and watch the Monkees ....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                Yes, they were good fun, rather in the film style of the Beatles in "Help" and "A Hard Day's Night"
                Paul Gambaccini was on the BBC Breakfast sofa this morning delivering a tribute, and said that the formation of
                the Monkees was directly inspired by "A Hard Day's Night" as a result of Screen Gems TV wanting the same brand of humour & music & appealing young singers on a weekly basis on US screens.

Great performer, sad he's gone so early - hadn't realised his track-record as a juvenile on stage before being picked up for the "Pre-Fab Four"
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

tribute
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• old khayyam

Ah yes the 'paul mcartney' of the group. To be honest, he was my least favourite Monkee. I think any one of the others showed more talent and substance. But still, the death of another flower from the golden era has an impact which moves me greatly.

When the time comes for Mickey Dolenz, i will cry like a child.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by old khayyam View Post
                      Ah yes the 'paul mcartney' of the group.
                      Ouch , you mean talentless idiot ? surely not

Comment

• old khayyam

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Ouch , you mean talentless idiot ? surely not
                        He was modelled on the McCartney image (circa 1965) as in 'the pretty one who sings'. Apparently Nesmith was intended as a sort of Lennon, as in 'the quiet thinker with dry wit'. This, by default, left Peter Tork with the Harrison role, although his dumb shyness also gave him a Ringo quality. No-one cared they didnt pull it off exactly. Especially as they had it all in Micky Dolenz. He had arguably the best voice, the most distinctive (chimp-like) looks, wit and charm, and a cuddly gentleness that made him the children's favourite. He also broke any mould in which they may have been cast as singing drummers were unheard of in those days.

Last edited by Guest; 01-03-12, 18:45. Reason: grammar!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by old khayyam View Post
                          He was modelled on the McCartney image (circa 1965) as in 'the pretty one who sings'.
                          humm except that he really COULD sing ! unlike Macca

Micky Dolenz used to live in Newark (Nottinghamshire that is ........... OT comment of the day )

Comment

• old khayyam

In fact, Davy also paralleled Macca in that he was the 'straight' one with a penchant for old-time songs aimed at the parents generation. Small wonder then that he was the most pronounced parallel with any Beatle. Not only is the genius of a Lennon difficult to manufacture, they didnt want any rebellious role models made more accessible (sp?) for an even younger audience.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              humm except that he really COULD sing ! unlike Macca

Micky Dolenz used to live in Newark (Nottinghamshire that is ........... OT comment of the day )
                              You really have this hate-hate relationship with Paul. What did he do to you in your formative years?

Comment

Working...
                              X