X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

The Soaring Sunday Sun

I was mildly amused by the heap of Sunday Suns on my newsagent's counter this morning.
    It bore a huge headline :- AMANDA HOLDEN MY HEART STOPPED BEATING FOR FORTY SECONDS

Somewhat reminiscent of Dorothy Parker on the death of President Coolidge " How could they tell ? "

2 / 10 Must try harder !
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Change the name the game's the same.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

presumeably they are still going thru their database of retrieved medical records - were her bank details also available ?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Alastair Campbell tweets: "Sun on Sunday have clearly put a phoney front page out. Real one will be second edition. Otherwise major 'is that it?' problem". [Source: BBC News Online ]
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• handsomefortune

presumeably they are still going thru their database of retrieved medical records - were her bank details also available ?

typically frances_iom, but surely that was an approach reminiscent of 'the good olde days' at ni, when predictably, any amount of harm to individuals was warmly welcomed! whereas it's tempting to assume this a novel tactical move? a one off, to make readers yearn for 'the news of the world', wish it was still around, and instead buy the new sunday ni product? the first edition of 'the sun on sunday' apparently provides 'proof' of how tedious recent 'enforced tabloid restraint' actually is? (or so ni will possibly calculate of their readers' disappointment, in response to the tameness of amanda holden 'news').

by now, many will be missing notw's boundless range of routine perversions, and extra prurient approach, and looking for the nearest alternative read, having become addicts of 'the gutter press'.

perhaps many ex notw readers still remain confused about the difference between 'what interests notw readers' and the possibility that some journalism might genuinely be 'in the public interest' ... even after the leveson inquirys revelations, which many 'notw' fans have probably totally ignored, in a big ignorant sulk.

happily, i don't know who amanda holden is, ....or what happened to her ....so have no gauge as to how 'satisfactory' reading about her alleged temporary siezure is to others.....? perhaps she's an olympic swimmer, holding her breath under water, in training for 2012 games? but then, that type of sporting patriotism (which might be potentially worthwhile) isn't usually the type that notw, or 'the sun' etc excell at, as regards female athletes especially. not unless they can squeeze in some red circles, and sheer spite, to emphasise amanda's 'faults' ....though now we've seen the seedy fat s*ds who draw them, courtesy of the inquiry, the ubiquitous red circles perhaps don't have the 'authority' readers once believed in so implicitly. (that is, hopefully, fingers crossed....we'll have to await next week's 'sun on sunday', and those that follow,.............. if ni doesn't fold). not that i'll be holding my breath in anticipation of the eventual outcome next sunday!

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            [...]AMANDA HOLDEN MY HEART STOPPED BEATING FOR FORTY SECONDS[...]
            Would that be the Amanda Holden who translated Da Ponte libretti?

Comment

• Mahlerei

Apparently Rupe has Tweeted sales of 3m today.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

typically frances_iom, ...
                hadn't realised my house style was so obvious - maybe I should reserve my venom for others working to lower the level of 'British' popular media now that Rupert has seen the error of his ways.
                If Rupert is contrite enough (and buys off the remaining court cases) will boy David make-up and give him a TV company all to himself so he can rebroadcast Faux news to counteract the leftwing bias in the rest of the UK media.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  hadn't realised my house style was so obvious - maybe I should reserve my venom for others working to lower the level of 'British' popular media now that Rupert has seen the error of his ways.
                  Whatever makes you think that? I wouldn't trust him, or any of his sidekicks or organisations one inch. Keep putting the boot in!

For the avoidance of doubt, these remarks apply also to the coalition and all their nefarious activities.

ps: Who is Amanda Holden?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Just for the record, Amanda Holden is an actress who was in a seemingly interminable BBC series on Sunday nights about a forensic pathologist, and it would be hard to imagine a more boring performer, hence my original reference to Dorothy Parker.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      Just for the record, Amanda Holden is an actress who was in a seemingly interminable BBC series on Sunday nights about a forensic pathologist, and it would be hard to imagine a more boring performer, hence my original reference to Dorothy Parker.
                      Ah YES - she of the enigmatic, faraway stare. Thanks for the reminder, FF!

Comment

• LHC
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Ah YES - she of the enigmatic, faraway stare. Thanks for the reminder, FF!
                        You are thinking of Amanda Burton. Amanda Holden is another actress and sometime star of musicals. She is perhaps best known for being a judge on one of Simon Cowell's dismal talent shows. I understand her main contribution is to burst into tears after every performance (I don't know myself, having never actually watched one of those programmes).
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• handsomefortune

according to 'more or less' programme on r4, we are apparently highly unlikely to find that murdoch did sell 3 million copies as alleged. 'more or less' insist such round figures are usually largely fictional.

perhaps rupe meant two hundred and seventeen.....? but rounded it off to 3 million, for public useage, and in order to promote 'sales confidence' in his products.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

according to 'more or less' programme on r4, we are apparently highly unlikely to find that murdoch did sell 3 million copies as alleged. 'more or less' insist such round figures are usually largely fictional.

perhaps rupe meant two hundred and seventeen.....? but rounded it off to 3 million, for public useage, and in order to promote 'sales confidence' in his products.
                            Or perhaps someone at the Sun unintentionally misplaced a decimal point...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Sounds like a piece of trashy fiction from his little sister or someone. If he wants absolute control, he'll have to cut everybody's hands off.

Comment

Working...
                              X