X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • austin
    • Sep 2024

Feeling like Fitzcarraldo

Gavin Plumley raises an interesting question in his blog ....
    I don't want to build an opera house in the rainforest. And I don't look like Carl Nielsen. But we have a lot to learn from Fitzcarraldo's...

Any thoughts?
  • Lateralthinking1

Annie Edson Taylor. The first person to survive a trip over Niagara Falls in a barrel which remarkably she achieved on her 63rd birthday. Anything is possible. She lived until 82.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Very readable....
      bong ching

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Reminded me that when I was last watching 'Fitzcarraldo', it seemed to me that in the famous scene when he's playing Caruso into the Amazonian Jungle, the sounds coming back at him are the Drummers of Burundi - how did they get there? Mind you, if Herzog can get a paddleboat over a mountain he can make just about anything happen.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>how did they get there?

Private jet.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

I've never managed to see 'Fitzcaraldo'. Perhaps I should put in a request at the GFT. Although the last time I did that - for 'Celine & Julie go boating' - I was on holiday when it was shown & I never saw it! Possibly just as well as it probably wouldn't have seemed as magical 2nd time around.

As for the subject of the thread (nothing to do with Herzog or Amazonian opera houses), yes, it's a great shame that there isn't any serious discussion of music in the press - or any other art. 'The Listener' is the only magazine I can think of that carried such discussion, & that died long ago.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

The trailer, Flosshilde.
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Herzog is a genius. The very making of the film (which also appeared as a film) was a bizarre challenge akin to the challenge of dragging a steamship up a mountain. He threatened to shoot Kinski when he was going to walk out on the film and had to set up an on-location brothel to keep all the native extras happy.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Set to...
                  This piece of video already exists on Youtube, but those do not include English subtitles. As there are many non Germans out there who would like to know wha...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Herzog is a genius. The very making of the film (which also appeared as a film) was a bizarre challenge akin to the challenge of dragging a steamship up a mountain. He threatened to shoot Kinski when he was going to walk out on the film and had to set up an on-location brothel to keep all the native extras happy.
                    Indeed; Herzog & Kinski were made for each other -both hovering on the edge of madness. The final scene of 'Aguire' is one of the greatest in cinema - Aguire/Kinski looking like Death sailing down the Amazon on a raft, surrounded by the bodies of his companions, while the camera circles, putting Aguire & the raft at the centre of of a dizzying, spinning world - desolation, loss, and madness but still posessed by a dream.

Comment

Working...
                    X