Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
    I would assign the belief that Room 101 is a place for burying things you don't like, rather than one where you will have to face what is (for you) the most terrifying thing imaginable.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      Does this banish Sweden to room 101, then?
      all Volvos ?
      surely not
      how would we get the harp transported ?

(Grade 5 harp has a section on parallel parking a Volvo 940 estate )

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        all Volvos ?
        surely not
        how would we get the harp transported ?

(Grade 5 harp has a section on parallel parking a Volvo 940 estate )
        Sounds faintly surreal - is this to do with pedalling?

(I used to play timps, so I do sympathise.)

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          Does this banish Sweden to room 101, then?
          ... Italy too now, I believe. (Headlights in daylight, - on main roads, that is... ). And France on motorways?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I always thought that being visible was a good idea ?
            have you never been on a motorbike ?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I always thought that being visible was a good idea ?
              have you never been on a motorbike ?
              But once all the cars are doing it (unnecessarily) you won't be able to see the motor bikes, even with theirs on. The whole idea for bikes was to heighten their visibility among the other traffic.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... Italy too now, I believe. (Headlights in daylight, - on main roads, that is... ). And France on motorways?
                wiki confirms support for this -

"Germany, Spain, France and others have encouraged or required daytime use of low-beam headlamps on certain roads at certain times of year, Ireland encourages and Bulgaria requires the use of low-beam headlights at all times during winter, Italy, Hungary and Romania require daytime running lamps outside populated areas, and Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia require the use of full or reduced voltage low-beam headlights at all times."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Beef Oven
                  The coalman poured it throught the coal-hole that was before the front door.
                  Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  You must have been pleased when the front door was installed, & you could enter the house normally.
                  Except when the coalman was pouring the coal through it?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

I can't pretend I've read all or even most of this thread, but (ignoring the fact that I'm asked which SINGLE aspect I'd banish) I'd choose boxers, boxing, football, footballers and football fans. Perhaps those aren't confined to modern life, but once upon a time I wouldn't have known they existed. I suppose television is to blame, but I wouldn't banish television, because I like some of it.

Comment

• Don Petter

wiki confirms support for this -

"Germany, Spain, France and others have encouraged or required daytime use of low-beam headlamps on certain roads at certain times of year, Ireland encourages and Bulgaria requires the use of low-beam headlights at all times during winter, Italy, Hungary and Romania require daytime running lamps outside populated areas, and Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia require the use of full or reduced voltage low-beam headlights at all times."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp
                      The trouble is that modern cars no longer seem to have any low-beam lights! Their minimum headlight comes from bulls-eye types with no horizontal cut-off, which are just as dazzling as old style full beams.

I suspect that advances in lighting technology have outstripped the old regulations, which have not been sufficiently updated. The old definition of the maximum wattage which may be displayed without a horizontal cutoff now allows a much brighter light in output candlepower which would not have been allowed in former times?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        Dazzling halogen headlights on cars .... drivers who use headlights during the day .... drivers who use foglamps when it's not foggy, or raining
                        You forgot those who can't find, or be bothered with, the handbrake and sit in front of you in stationary traffic with their foot on the brake, dazzling you with their brake lights.

It's just as inconsiderate as if someone in front of you in a queue turned round and shone a torch in your face.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

I knew that sooner or later this thread would degenerate into guff about cars and motoring, send them all to Room 101 immediately!

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                            I knew that sooner or later this thread would degenerate into guff about cars and motoring, send them all to Room 101 immediately!

... yes, there is doubtless some equivalent of Godwin's Law that states that after a certain time all threads will recur to footleball - or cars - or foie gras...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              I would assign the belief that Room 101 is a place for burying things you don't like, rather than one where you will have to face what is (for you) the most terrifying thing imaginable.
                              OK then, if you insist - I'd consign choking to death to Room 101.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

... yes, there is doubtless some equivalent of Godwin's Law that states that after a certain time all threads will recur to footleball - or cars - or foie gras...
                                ... and ocelots.
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X