Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Following on from Lat's post
    I would put

Astrology, Homeopathy and all other forms of Woo there ....... (So that's the entire population of Totnes then )

Comment

• John Skelton

I'd consign me to Room 101. If I don't qualify as modern or alive enough those ******* ****** ******* ****-**** HSBC adverts in which the bloke with the 'wise' voice explains 'local customs' accompanied by a film of beaming 'exotic people' doing charmingly 'local' capitalist things, OLD PEOPLE interacting with YOUNG PEOPLE etc.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
        I'd consign me to Room 101. If I don't qualify as modern or alive enough those ******* ****** ******* ****-**** HSBC adverts in which the bloke with the 'wise' voice explains 'local customs' accompanied by a film of beaming 'exotic people' doing charmingly 'local' capitalist things, OLD PEOPLE interacting with YOUNG PEOPLE etc.
        Cue the "Wicker Man" clip ?

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          Thinking this over, the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) alphabet didn't have Z at all - it's an introduction from Norman-French - and I wonder if there's a sort of 'folk memory' of this that makes the letter Z seem unusual, even after so many years. Because it does seem so, doesn't it?
          But there is a zeta in Greek, and that's where all these -ize words ultimately come from.

They were spelled with s in French, which is the route by which most of them came to us. But of course there are many English words that were never Greek at all, like surprise. So the easiest thing seems to be to spell them all -ise.

The one that really irritates me is the American spelling analyze, because although the noun analysis is Greek, there was never an -izo verb formed from it until we did.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Haitch.

Comment

• John Skelton

Thinking this over, the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) alphabet didn't have Z at all - it's an introduction from Norman-French - and I wonder if there's a sort of 'folk memory' of this that makes the letter Z seem unusual, even after so many years. Because it does seem so, doesn't it?
              "Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter!" Shakespeare, King Lear Act II Scene II.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                Haitch.
                Justine Greening says Haitch Ess Too so it must be right.

(I always wrote s rather than z, argued with people for about ten years that z was American, they insisted that it was the other way round, I changed mainly to z, and I still don't believe them so I'm going back to s again. Agree that adviser is v important!).
                Last edited by Guest; 24-02-12, 10:32.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Originally Posted by cloughie
                  Not text speak, board shorthand! Where've you been - thought you were a regular on these boards FW=Full work, BC=Bleeding Chunk!
                  Mr Pee doesn't contribute to the boards, cloughie- he just advertises for Sky

Be fair - I had no idea what FW & BC meant, either. Perhaps I don't read/contribute to the right threads.

JFLL's post (21) gave me an idea - consign the monarchy to 101. Religion too (I'd let it out when it promised to stop inerfering with me - I wouldn't want to deprive people of it permanently, although once they'd realised that they could survive without it for a couple of centuries they probabaly wouldn't be bothered if it didn't come out)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Crass continuity announcers who take over the end credits, try to be matey and sound as though they have no more than two brain cells in total.

Comment

• Tapiola
                      • Jan 2011

It's just occurred to me that my office address is 101

May I have another one? To echo Beef's Message #41: "humanism".

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

In the 90s I was for a few months a 'training advisor'. I refused to wear the badge unless it was spelt 'adviser' (I'm awkward like that sometimes).
                        Me too.
                        Dictionaries say one thing; we all do the other. And of course, -ize just looks wrong.
                        Quite so, also those ugly angles reminding me of Manhatten. It's like having a sharp knife pushing into you.

I think this argument for dictionary compilers going back to Ancient Greek may have something to do with their own education in that language rather than using the actual spelling that we almost all use. I say "almost" because many British publishing houses still use "z" and it makes me wince every time it occurs.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          Agree that adviser is v important!).[/I]
                          Why, though? Do you know?

(I haven't got time to explain now!)

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            I think this argument for dictionary compilers going back to Ancient Greek may have something to do with their own education in that language rather than using the actual spelling that we almost all use. I say "almost" because many British publishing houses still use "z" and it makes me wince every time it occurs.
                            Yes. Many (most?) -ise words come to us from French, where -ise is universal. By using -ize, I suspect many 17th and 18th-Century writers and dictionary compilers were demonstrating their knowledge of classical language. These are the same people who added a 'b' to words such as debt and plumb, or a 'c' to indict or verdict, to remind us all of the Latin originals. (In the case of 'verdict' at least they changed our pronunciation in the process.)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Quite so, also those ugly angles reminding me of Manhatten. .
                              where ?

There are some interesting examples in Bill Bryson's "Made in America" about how several spellings and phrases that we think of as "Americanisms" are in fact relics of older English usage .....

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                                "Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter!" Shakespeare, King Lear Act II Scene II.
                                Just so!

Comment

Working...
                                X