Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
    Crikey, so you're going out for a night on the tiles at 8pm, coming back to listen to CDs and getting up at 5am. Ever find time to sleep?
    NEVER! Sleep is for wimps!

Unfortunately, not every little niche market can be catered for fhg. Look, we both know that the BBC forecasts do a timeline through the day, so anyone can see what is happening at 5am, or 6am, or 3am, should they wish. If they have pause-live TV, they can even freeze the frame and goggle at the forecast at their favourite time of night to their heart's content.
    Fair point, and I prefer to get my weather forecasts from the Met webpages precisely because of this. (And to avoid the twelve-year-old weather "aft-casters" on TV!)

Not sure what my little nieces' market has to do with anything, though?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Re weather forecasters,'dancing' Daniel Corbett must already be in Room 101. What happened to him?
      In effect: he's b*****d orf to New Zealand...

Daniel Corbett is a British broadcast meteorologist, who worked for the Met Office and the BBC for many years until May 2011. He regularly appeared on BBC ONE, BBC News, BBC World News, BBC Red Button, BBC Four, BFBS TV, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 5 Live. He first joined the Met Office and BBC Weather Centre in 1997, after beginning his career in the United States. In May 2011, Corbett made his final BBC weather report prior to taking up a new post in New Zealand with the MetService.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Oh no! Somebody mentioned DC!! That's me back on the medication!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Daniel Corbett is a British broadcast meteorologist, who worked for the Met Office and the BBC for many years until May 2011. He regularly appeared on BBC ONE, BBC News, BBC World News, BBC Red Button, BBC Four, BFBS TV, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 5 Live. He first joined the Met Office and BBC Weather Centre in 1997, after beginning his career in the United States. In May 2011, Corbett made his final BBC weather report prior to taking up a new post in New Zealand with the MetService.
          The one I really miss is Rob McElwee, he always made the forecasts interesting, and held your concentration, it was almost like a bedtime story.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            The wierd little finger point he did at the end ("and that's *pause for finger pointing* your weather") used to freak me out. Can I have a handful, ferney?
            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 24-02-12, 16:35. Reason: Remembered he used to say "YOUR weather". Quick Ferney, the meds!!!!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Gorn!

And never called me "mother"!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

• amateur51

To be fair, I'm a big fan for Liam Dutton who really tries to make the weather interesting. He's been 'snapped up' by Channel 4 News at 19:00

A friend lobbied hard for years for Ian McCaskill to be cast as a pantomime dame

Not strictly weather forecaster of course, is anyone else a tad bemused by newscaster Matthew Amroliwala whose expression and voice tone doesn't vary when he's reading the News 24, whether he's telling you about civilian casualties in Hom or Brit Award nightmares.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Why do weather forecasters (especially female) talk to us as if we are nursery school Children?
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Why do weather forecasters (especially female) talk to us as if we are nursery school Children?
                      Not Laura Tobin! She talks as if she is a nursery school child!

Comment

• Anna

BBC Wales have a wonderful weatherman, Derek Brockway, who is outrageously camp, I don't know if he is Gay but I know he has done a lot in support of Stonewall, sexual equality and the Welsh Language, he is Met Office trained and spent time in the Falklands with RAF studying weather. He also has a programme about Walking in Wales which is enormous fun, so he cannot be consigned to Room 101

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                          Not in this case.....

Warning:- Parental Advisory. Contains a word that some may find offensive.

Last edited by Mr Pee; 24-02-12, 18:09.
                          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

What on earth did he mean?! (He changed it to "sunshine", but how can you have "bucketloads" of this? A prankster on the autocue, methinks!)

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

The other good one was Tomasz Schafernaker's Glastonbury moment!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                I don't know if he is Gay but I know he has done a lot in support of Stonewall, sexual equality and the Welsh Language,
                                The latter having as little to do with the first two as possible.

(Sorry - that was a sheep shot, that was)

Comment

Working...
                                X