Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

I could never, ever, support any other team than my beloved Partick Thistle ...
    Firhill for thrills....... Many years ago I worked for a company in Greenock. The co sec was a rabid Thistle fan, one of the directors was an equally rabid Morton fan, and I once got dragged along to Cappielow for a needle match. I was quite neutral, and held the jackets.

On another occasion, I remember the co sec telling me he had to appear in court in his official capacity because "One of our lorries wasn't displaying the Partick Thistle colours at the rear." Which was I suppose one way of putting it!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Anna, brilliant!
      Feminine logic Lat, reduce everything down to shopping and it all becomes clear. You men just love to complicate things!

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Feminine logic Lat, reduce everything down to shopping and it all becomes clear. You men just love to complicate things!
        So shoppng isn't complicated? Well, dew dew! Maybe not in Ieuan Lewis in Cærdydd or Debenhams of Abertawe, but...

Actually, as I've yurd said around Hedrefordistan, shopping in Henffordd est très simple - it just involves gettin' into the Gilbern, see - and drivin' as fast as possible to Cheltenham, look you (and no, you can't go from Henffordd to Cheltenham on Arriva Trens Cymru, as no doubt you know to your cost)...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          So shoppng isn't complicated? Well, dew dew! Maybe not in Ieuan Lewis in Cærdydd or Debenhams of Abertawe, but...

Actually, as I've yurd said around Hedrefordistan, shopping in Henffordd est très simple - it just involves gettin' into the Gilbern, see - and drivin' as fast as possible to Cheltenham, look you (and no, you can't go from Henffordd to Cheltenham on Arriva Trens Cymru, as no doubt you know to your cost)...
          Actually, Alistair, Cariad, I have never had an Arriva train arrive late or get to its destination late. It strikes me that you, quite frankly, are living the wrong side of the border, you should move into Wales and chillax man, and, also, no-one goes to Cheltenham anymore, if one has to venture into England then the on-dit that it's Ludlow that's full of delights. Face it, Cheltenham's House of Fraser is just so out moded as to be an embarrassment. Shropshire is the new Gloucestershire.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Well, aren't our MPs a bit weird, anyway ... ?

Most football fans I know have supported their team since they were virtual toddlers. In many ways it is a connection with childhood and happy (and not so happy) times.

I could never, ever, support any other team than my beloved Partick Thistle ...
            I was born in Stockport and brought up a stones throw from Edgeley Park. If my beloved Stockport County ceased to exist I wouldn't support any team.
            My son and grandson are also fans,which is my fault.
            My dear old dad was a Man Citeh fan.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

So not only has it taken over the front page of the newspapers, but also this thread !

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                So not only has it taken over the front page of the newspapers, but also this thread !
                Isn't that just typical ...

Forgive me for making a rather relevant observation here, but wasn't it some of the anti-football brigade that introduced the subject in the first place?

Mercifully, they now appear to have got what they so richly deserve ...

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=MrGongGong;136894]The association of football teams with places is a bit of a relic these days

a 2001 survey suggested that even at surrey based manchester united 46% of season ticket holders were "local".

at the three big northeast clubs this was over 80%.

I strongly suspect that outside the very few clubs with truly national support (man u, Arsenal, liverpool and possibly chelsea), local allegiance is still very strong.
                  Attendances right down the pyramid are strong.....clubs in the fifth tier, the conference regularly attract crowds of several thousands (and the prices aren't cheap either).There are 50% more people attending the next three leagues down than are attending in the Premier League, even though the lower leagues get miniscule publicity compared to the PL.
                  Incidentally, does anyone else remember the novel "Albion, Albion" from the mid 1970's, by Dick Morland.(Reginald hill).

It was a portrayal of a world taken over by football, and in particular by a few massive clubs, where everything revolved round football, including the language.

it has struck me in recent yearshow far we have gone down that road........
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

a 2001 survey suggested that even at surrey based manchester united 46% of season ticket holders were "local".

I didn't know Manchester United were based in Surrey?I thought Old Trafford was Oop North. Are you telling me it's actually in Woking?
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      I didn't know Manchester United were based in Surrey?I thought Old Trafford was Oop North. Are you telling me it's actually in Woking?
                      oh noes....my bad !!(as they say nowadays).
                      hope Mario dosen't notice my little mistake
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Isn't that just typical ...

Forgive me for making a rather relevant observation here, but wasn't it some of the anti-football brigade that introduced the subject in the first place?

Mercifully, they now appear to have got what they so richly deserve ...
                        It was put forward as something suitable for consignment to room 101 - a perfectly legitimate suggestion, along with many others. It was the supporters of football who then instigated the prolonged (over several pages - longer than for any other suggestion) discussion

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Football was suggested,then MrGG suggested the fans be sent in (and the door slammed) and others then started about it being all over the TV.

Imagine the response on if the same thing had been said about, oh lets see, labour party supporters, doctors, amateur orchestras...............

much the same I suspect !!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Cricket (blue touch paper lit, I will now take cover)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Parking on pavements. What especially does my nut about this particular antisocial action is that the offending vehicle rarely leaves enough space for two cars to pass anyway, so why bother?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Cricket (blue touch paper lit, I will now take cover)
                                And you loving all that Warm Ale - 'Thwack of Leather on Willow' music too... I be ashamed of ee, Mister Edgeley, I be truly...!!

(Dear old Willow... I wonder what became of him... )
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X