Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Still, people enjoy football and opera so they're both OK in my book
    Not altogether sure about enjoyment as a criterion - on that basis we could still be having gladiatorial contests?

Comment

• Anna

How do people choose which football team to support? It intrigues me because whilst I can understand if you were born in, went to school at, parents came from, say Fulham as an example, then you'd be a Fulham fan obviously. It's tribal. But why (thinking of someone I knew) if you are born in Salford, and went to Salford Uni, do you became a Liverpool fanatic instead of supporting one of the Manchester teams? Do you choose because your favourite footballer plays for them? Do you pick the one with the most glamour boys? Serious question (and I do not support any football team, have no interest in the game, although I will watch the World Cup in the later stages)

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        How do people choose which football team to support? It intrigues me because whilst I can understand if you were born in, went to school at, parents came from, say Fulham as an example, then you'd be a Fulham fan obviously. It's tribal. But why (thinking of someone I knew) if you are born in Salford, and went to Salford Uni, do you became a Liverpool fanatic instead of supporting one of the Manchester teams? Do you choose because your favourite footballer plays for them? Do you pick the one with the most glamour boys? Serious question (and I do not support any football team, have no interest in the game, although I will watch the World Cup in the later stages)
        If you are born and raised near a reasonable sized club , I could never understand why you would support anyone other than that team.
        If there is a choice then maybe family ties play a role.
        Don't think I have ever seen a proper survey of why people support who they do, but I bet outside of a few big clubs , most people support their local team(ie a team with which they have a strong connection by birth or residence).

Plenty of people do "adopt " a club at the town they arrive in for adult life, which seems sensible(sometimes they adopt a second team this way).

There are some people who migrate, on the quiet. There used to be quite a few blackburn fans down here, coincidentally when they had a really good team. They seem to have all moved now, though !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Far more difficult to comprehend is people FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD - and I'm not talking New Zealand or Australia here - supporting, e.g., Man United

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            people who quote complete posts
            how rude !

don't know why I said that

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Far more difficult to comprehend is people FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD - and I'm not talking New Zealand or Australia here - supporting, e.g., Man United
              But, maybe S_A, their Grandpa or Grandma came from Manchester and where they live now has no football team so they wish to enjoy the sport but feel a need to affiliate to one team and so therefore feel they belong? Don't ask me, footie is a mystery.
              Edit: I do understand the offside rule!

Comment

• scottycelt

Edit: I do understand the offside rule!
                In that case, Anna, I'm delighted to advise that your knowledge of that aspect of the sport is undoubtedly greater than many professional football players, managers, and TV pundits constantly pontificating on the rules of the game today ...

Comment

• arancie33
                  • Jan 2011

How do people choose which football team to support?
                  I can understand people supporting one team or other. What puzzles me is why,when a public figure eg an MP is associated (npi) with a football team, it is always "his/her beloved Arsenal, Spurs or whichever bunch". A bit weird IMV.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    In that case, Anna, I'm delighted to advise that your knowledge of that aspect of the sport is undoubtedly greater than many professional football players, managers, and TV pundits constantly pontificating on the rules of the game today ...
                    Off-side was explained like buying shoes You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have. The shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses. It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting. Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma. She prepares to throw her purse to you.

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!
                    Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

GENIUS, Anna!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        The association of football teams with places is a bit of a relic these days
                        when I was young people where I lived either supported Liverpool or Everton (or if they were really pedantic Tranmere Rovers !) because that was where we were. Now when I meet young people who are into football there is no relation or link to who they support and where they live , there is even a Manchester United shop in Orchard road in Singapore........ so like the idea that MP's represent local people (they represent themselves, their party with their so called "constituents" usually in a poor third place ......... with a few notable exceptions of course !) of the idea that Key Signatures have different characters it's a relic of a time past............ a bit like having an appendix ! and is largely meaningless. So in it goes !

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
                          I can understand people supporting one team or other. What puzzles me is why,when a public figure eg an MP is associated (npi) with a football team, it is always "his/her beloved Arsenal, Spurs or whichever bunch". A bit weird IMV.
                          Well, aren't our MPs a bit weird, anyway ... ?

Most football fans I know have supported their team since they were virtual toddlers. In many ways it is a connection with childhood and happy (and not so happy) times.

I could never, ever, support any other team than my beloved Partick Thistle ...

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                            Well, aren't our MPs a bit weird, anyway ... ?

Most football fans I know have supported their team since they were virtual toddlers. In many ways it is a connection with childhood and happy (and not so happy) times.

I could never, ever, support any other team than my beloved Partick Thistle ...
                            ...and it just happens, who knows where or when, and it's lifetime's millstone around your neck.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Anna, brilliant!

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Why, the Euromyopic Snog Context, of course! (wrote he, borrowing from the Humblebert Engerdinck thread with the manic voracity of a British government borrowing money from wheresoever it can still contrive to grab it)...

Comment

Working...
                                X