Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
    there's far too much football on other channels for my taste
    And there's far too many cooking programmes, soap operas, antique programmes, vampire dramas, etc for my taste but you can't please everybody at all times.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• handsomefortune

remarkably patronising generalisation,

but to be fair, this thread title does tend to encourage a subjective approach, highly likely to be a 'generalisation'?

rather like saying that Radio3 listeners are all snobbish and elitist. Perish the thought.....

classical music fans don't tend to luxuriate in endless media discussion on many channels, as regards performance, money exchanges, and other routines and rituals associated with 'the beautiful game'.

ironically, the management generalisations many consider damaging to r3 of late, are carried out in the wake of murdoch-style highly generalised accusations of 'elitism'...coupled with a sort of inverted ageism, based around greater audience figs....'success' judged only numerically - rather like tabloid paper sales.

besides, why isn't anyone sticking up for mary chamber's other 'generalised' dislike, boxers and boxing?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
        remarkably patronising generalisation,

but to be fair, this thread title does tend to encourage a subjective approach, highly likely to be a 'generalisation'?

rather like saying that Radio3 listeners are all snobbish and elitist. Perish the thought.....

classical music fans don't tend to luxuriate in endless media discussion on many channels, as regards performance, money exchanges, and other routines and rituals associated with 'the beautiful game'.

ironically, the management generalisations many consider damaging to r3 of late, are carried out in the wake of murdoch-style highly generalised accusations of 'elitism'...coupled with a sort of inverted ageism, based around greater audience figs....'success' judged only numerically - rather like tabloid paper sales.

besides, why isn't anyone sticking up for mary chamber's other 'generalised' dislike, boxers and boxing?
        ...and have you noticed how cricket attracts corrupt, greedy gamblers?

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
          I'm sure the football fans on here aren't among the primitive packs of scarf-clad yelling fools I see on television news. Surely not....
          "It's not so much local trouble," explained DI Christine Bartlett of the National Arts Intelligence Bureau, "though the Eastbourne Choral Society / Hastings Philharmonic Society rivalry always has a hardcore of trouble makers. It's the international fixtures. Like the time the Wagnerites took an Ian Bostridge concert chanting You'll never sing at Bayreuth, or the time 'the Aldeburgh Head-Hunters' ran the 'Huddersfield Contemporary Young Casuals' taunting them with Avant-garde you're having a laugh. Those international festivals are always a nightmare to police: Milan opera supporters against Bremen chamber music fanatics."

'Frank' (not his real name) from the notorious Arnold Bax Society explains: "We don't go after the scarfers, the tourists, the family supporters, the type who buy a programme and a signed CD. We go after their firm, it's territorial really. Ballet companies always take a travelling 'army': we've got to defend ourselves against them, it's a matter of bragging rights."

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

That, John Skelton, is the best laugh I've had for a long time. Hard to pick a favourite bit, but I'm particularly fond of 'the notorious Arnold Bax Society' and the chant at the Ian Bostridge concert

The choral society bit is very near the truth......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
              "It's not so much local trouble," explained DI Christine Bartlett of the National Arts Intelligence Bureau, "though the Eastbourne Choral Society / Hastings Philharmonic Society rivalry always has a hardcore of trouble makers. It's the international fixtures. Like the time the Wagnerites took an Ian Bostridge concert chanting You'll never sing at Bayreuth, or the time 'the Aldeburgh Head-Hunters' ran the 'Huddersfield Contemporary Young Casuals' taunting them with Avant-garde you're having a laugh. Those international festivals are always a nightmare to police: Milan opera supporters against Bremen chamber music fanatics."

'Frank' (not his real name) from the notorious Arnold Bax Society explains: "We don't go after the scarfers, the tourists, the family supporters, the type who buy a programme and a signed CD. We go after their firm, it's territorial really. Ballet companies always take a travelling 'army': we've got to defend ourselves against them, it's a matter of bragging rights."

An instant classic, JS!!!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

you (seriously folks) don't want to mess with the Stockhausen society though

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

you (seriously folks) don't want to mess with the Stockhausen society though
                  It's the B-Minor-Massive who worry me...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    It's the B-Minor-Massive who worry me...
                    Not the C Sharpe Retrofolklorists?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Not the C Sharpe Retrofolklorists?
                      Or even the B sharp barbershop crew ?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                        The big difference is that a piece of music exists independent of its evanescent performers (and cannot be ruined by one performance), whereas any game of football is, by definition, a spontaneous act indivisible from its participants; unless you are arguing that all football matches are basically the same as any other.
                        What, me arguing ...?

Of course, no analogy is ever complete, but the salient point of my own was simply to illustrate that the intrinsic worth of an art or sport should not be unfairly devalued by any participant's shoddy performance, and/or an onlooker's disreputable behaviour.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          I from next Friday, I will be able to enjoy Sky's new channel dedicated exclusively to Formula 1!! I can barely contain my excitement!!

Comment

• amateur51

Brilliant, John Skelton

I promise you that it is perfectly true that I used to work in a classical record shop where a wooden mallet was kept under the counter, bearing legend 'For Use On Members of The Wagner Society'

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              I promise you that it is perfectly true that I used to work in a classical record shop where a wooden mallet was kept under the counter, bearing legend 'For Use On Members of The Wagner Society'
                              Fantastic!

Useful for a bang-along if someone put Mahler 6 on, too

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Fantastic!

Useful for a bang-along if someone put Mahler 6 on, too
                                Get it on (as they say)

or even Heavens Door !!! (that's the Karlheinz version )

Comment

Working...
                                X