Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
    Not so. It is a drain on the battery; thereby requiring the engine to generate more power. Consequently, the unnecessary use of headlights in good weather (pace
    ahinton, and caliban) increases fuel consumption by 3%. In case anyone thinks this is negligible, that's about 30 billion additional litres of fuel in the Uk alone. Don't believe me? There's plenty on the internet from reliable sources to back this up.
    It's not a "drain on the battery" at all as there is much more energy generated than is needed to keep it topped up
    YES, a heating element and motor driving a fan will make a difference to the rev speed etc

so are you suggesting that I get my Volvo modified ?
    I suspect this is a bit like all the nonsense about buying new more "efficient" cars
    which completely ignores the whole cost of disposing of the old one and the energy required to make new ones !

it's hardly a great problem for the world though

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Well said! If you want to prove the effect, turn on your heated windscreen when the engine is just ticking over - you will hear the revs increase as the engine has to output more electrical energy, and hence use more fuel.

I have no doubt... Did you see the Top Gear when they had to drive a Jag from Land's End to John O'Groats (or similar) on one tank of fuel - they weren't allowed to use the heating/aircon system at all, the better to eke out the juice.

I just don't like the phrase 'carbon footprint'. I think it sounds silly.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        [COLOR="#0000FF"]
        I have no doubt... Did you see the Top Gear when they had to drive a Jag from Land's End to John O'Groats (or similar) on one tank of fuel - they weren't allowed to use the heating/aircon system at all, the better to eke out the juice.
        I didn't see it but I imagine that whoever made this journey wasn't allowed to use top gear, either.

I just don't like the phrase 'carbon footprint'. I think it sounds silly.
        Almost certainly because it does. Has anyone ever actually seen one?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          I didn't see it but I imagine that whoever made this journey wasn't allowed to use top gear, either.
          Would they not be using top gear as much as possible? (I assume they were not allowed to freewheel.)

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            Would they not be using top gear as much as possible? (I assume they were not allowed to freewheel.)
            Yes, of course - but I meant gear as in apparel rather than - oh, never mind!...

Comment

• Don Petter

Yes, of course - but I meant gear as in apparel rather than - oh, never mind!...
              Apologies - over my head, that time!

Comment

• Word
                • Jan 2011

if boarders could nominate one aspect of modern life which they would hope to see consigned to Room 101 and the door securely locked, what would it be?
                Sorry to prolong the car theme but... for me it would be diesel cars, closely followed by all other diesel road vehicles.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  It's not a "drain on the battery" at all as there is much more energy generated than is needed to keep it topped up
                  Of course it does. The alternator is driven by the engine and spins all the time but it doesn't always consume the same amount of power from the engine. When the electrical load on the alternator increases more power is required to turn it and so fuel consumption is increased.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

I don't mind headlamps during the day, as they are not dazzling -

but the halogen ones are, even in the brightest sunlight.

And on the other end of the spectrum, some London cabs potter around with just dim side lights one - what's the point?
                    It's so that you won't hail them & demand that they take you south of the River.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

It's daft and at times dangerous not to use headlights / sidelights / foglights during the day if prevailing weather conditions render their use necessary -
                      If you look back at my post (which started this discussion) you will see that I explicitly referred to having foglamps on even when it isn't foggy or raining

Comment

• amateur51

or even how rural Derbyshire is like living in the 1950's with no crime and a happy bobby on a bike giving kids a clip round the ear for scrumping

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                          Of course it does. The alternator is driven by the engine and spins all the time but it doesn't always consume the same amount of power from the engine. When the electrical load on the alternator increases more power is required to turn it and so fuel consumption is increased.
                          I guess you have never dismantled one then ?
                          How on earth is this "draining" the battery as the battery is always more or less fully charged ?
                          O level physics matey

enough of this anyway
                          tis mighty tedious
                          and not really significant anyway

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            If you look back at my post (which started this discussion) you will see that I explicitly referred to having foglamps on even when it isn't foggy or raining
                            I know - so what's the problem with using any car lights in bad weather, then?

Comment

• Don Petter

I guess you have never dismantled one then ?
                              How on earth is this "draining" the battery as the battery is always more or less fully charged ?
                              O level physics matey
                              Simple enough, surely. The lights drain the battery and the alternator has to increase output to restore the charge and maintain the voltage. The battery stays the same but more petrol is used.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

yes but given a 2.7 litre engine the difference in power needed to to turn the alternator with the lights on and off is insignificant given that the system is 12v
                                not worth bothering about imv
                                maybe on a "shave your legs to go faster on your bike" level
                                or maybe only ever drive your car with the wind behind you

like I said its more than a little tedious

Comment

Working...
                                X