Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Emails have a "timely" way of disappearing it comes to producing written evidence to enquiries, as we've seen so often. It is often claimed that the aggrieved party was mailed or contacted when in fact they weren't; the onus will be on the party in question to produce evidence to that effect, but you will at least have your end of the written evidence to hand.
    I believe that it's possible to require that the recipients acknowledge that they have read your e-mail by making that requirement in your e-mail settings.

I've never done this so I can't tell you exactly how it's done but I'm sure that some helpful soul on here can left you know

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Yes Lat, good luck, it is the time that these things take that is so often upsetting. My furniture was piled up in the middle of the room and I ate off trays, that sort of thing. Keep us posted
      At least your bungalow is still standing, saly!

(He said, tempting fate)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I believe that it's possible to require that the recipients acknowledge that they have read your e-mail by making that requirement in your e-mail settings.
        I've never done this so I can't tell you exactly how it's done but I'm sure that some helpful soul on here can left you know
        In Outlook Express it's New Message > Tools > Options > Receipt. However, unfortunately it also gives the recipient the option not to send a receipt!!! Not sure of procedure for Hotmail, etc., but again I don't think it's compulsory to respond to request.

Lat, I know you have contacted your MP but around here we find it's often beneficial to contact the opposition! The Lib Dems in particular here love to get behind a campaign to discomfort the Council and sitting MP.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          In Outlook Express it's New Message > Tools > Options > Receipt. However, unfortunately it also gives the recipient the option not to send a receipt!!! Not sure of procedure for Hotmail, etc., but again I don't think it's compulsory to respond to request.

Lat, I know you have contacted your MP but around here we find it's often beneficial to contact the opposition! The Lib Dems in particular here love to get behind a campaign to discomfort the Council and sitting MP.
          An opposition? In Surrey???

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Anna. Thank you. There is Ian. By becoming politically active at the age of three or something and staying in the locality, he secured enough of a personal vote by forty to become a councillor. The night he somehow managed to make it two Conservatives plus one Liberal Democrat from this ward was extraordinary. It put paid to the local belief that you could stand three runner beans as Conservatives and they would always sail through. Obviously he didn't last but he is still involved. He might be an option.

The odd thing about this area is that it is only what you would call "very posh" in patches. If you saw it, you would be surprised by the ordinariness of many streets. Most are pretty average and some not even that really. Mine for example although lovely views. Along with the obvious, we have large numbers of white van people. One of the things I have never quite understood is why in an area like this one they have very right wing stances and yet if they were in, say, Newcastle they would be staunch Labour.

Incidentally Ken Livingstone, if elected Mayor, has offered a referendum to this third of the borough to detach from Greater London. Then we would be Surrey again as we were in 1965 when I was two. It appears that this might just save the woodland but the bus and train fares would rocket. I doubt that Croydon Council are keen. There is also the issue of the Coulsdon and Purley Town Hall. Not having been needed for 47 years, it has only recently been turned into flats. Perhaps they will build a costly new one.
            Last edited by Guest; 28-02-12, 18:38.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              There is also the issue of the Coulsdon and Purley Town Hall. Not having been needed for 47 years, it has only recently been turned into flats. Perhaps they will build a costly new one.
              Given what Thatcher did so maliciously to County Hall, I don't think that the irony of this would be lost on Ken

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                sorry, could you just run that by us again...........or give us some key points..............
                I am not 100% sure, but what I think he is trying to say is that the links to many news items and introductions to TV programmes often contain too much substantive information, making the principal item merely repetitious.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Where did you keep the coal?
                  In the cellar. The coalman poured it throught the coal-hole that was before the front door.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Following my thoughts on another thread, I would assign graphic violence and gory severed body parts in TV crime thrillers to Room 101. No need for it. It can be implied quite satisfactorily, thank you.
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• decantor
                      • Dec 2010

My own candidate for Room 101 is quite simple: BBC trails (trailers). On every channel, TV and radio, there are two, three, or four trails at every programme interface. They are repeated throughout the day, and often for several consecutive days, and are never omitted even if programmes are running late. It's mad, maddening, and a definite case of pathological OCD.

And another thing. The midweek live concert is usually over by 9.30pm. The half-hour gap before Night Waves is filled by trails disguised as clever little segues, viz: Continuity - "Well, in tomorrow evening's concert at 7.30 we can hear Sviatoslav Gavrikenazy playing Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto, so I thought we might listen to him now playing a little Brahms......". And when the Brahms is over, we have a little chat with Matthew Sweet about what's coming up on Night Waves at 10.00, fully fifteen minutes into the future, followed by a movement from the Belcerson Quartet who just happen to be playing Haydn in tomorrow's Lunchtime Concert....... and so the grim cycle grinds on.

Please, please, pretty please - trails into Room 101.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by decantor View Post
                        Please, please, pretty please - trails into Room 101.
                        They can entertain the girl choristers that drogo malcontent put there ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                          the coal-hole that was before the front door.
                          You must have been pleaed when the front door was installed, & you could enter the house normally.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Dazzling halogen headlights on cars .... drivers who use headlights during the day .... drivers who use foglamps when it's not foggy, or raining

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I would assign the belief that Room 101 is a place for burying things you don't like, rather than one where you will have to face what is (for you) the most terrifying thing imaginable.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                .... drivers who use headlights during the day ....
                                Does this banish Sweden to room 101, then?

Comment

Working...
                                X