Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Room 101 - what single aspect of modern life should be consigned to oblivion?

Now, I know that Radio 3 Forum users are not, as a rule, grumblers or complainers

I don't want to start a negative thread, to spoil the atmosphere.

But I'm curious.

Borrowing from Orwell and the BBC TV format, if boarders could nominate one aspect of modern life which they would hope to see consigned to Room 101 and the door securely locked, what would it be?

There are some dreadful things which would self-evidently qualify as "the worst thing in the world" (to quote Orwell)... but I'm more after more idiosyncratic personal nasties that people here would gladly be rid of.

To start the ball rolling, what I would like to see locked away in Room 101 is the modern method of construction of ladies' shoes which means that the heels are so heavy or resonant that whenever the lightest of women walks along a corridor or pavement, it sound like a cart-horse is passing. It happens constantly at the office, and at home in the room facing the street: the noisiest thing that happens bar a fire engine or similar going by with sirens on, is that a lady with 'heeled business shoes' walks by. An intrusive CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP.... If she happens to be running (or, dare I say it, of more substantial build ), goodbye concentration, or even conversation

Yes, I know. Time for my meds.

Any more for any more?

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Now, I know that Radio 3 Forum users are not, as a rule, grumblers or complainers

I don't want to start a negative thread, to spoil the atmosphere.

But I'm curious.

Borrowing from Orwell and the BBC TV format, if boarders could nominate one aspect of modern life which they would hope to see consigned to Room 101 and the door securely locked, what would it be?

There are some dreadful things which would self-evidently qualify as "the worst thing in the world" (to quote Orwell)... but I'm more after more idiosyncratic personal nasties that people here would gladly be rid of.

To start the ball rolling, what I would like to see locked away in Room 101 is the modern method of construction of ladies' shoes which means that the heels are so heavy or resonant that whenever the lightest of women walks along a corridor or pavement, it sound like a cart-horse is passing. It happens constantly at the office, and at home in the room facing the street: the noisiest thing that happens bar a fire engine or similar going by with sirens on, is that a lady with 'heeled business shoes' walks by. An intrusive CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP.... If she happens to be running (or, dare I say it, of more substantial build ), goodbye concentration, or even conversation

Yes, I know. Time for my meds.

Any more for any more?

Nice thread, Cals

I'm in complete agreement about the shoes.

My bete noire is more abstract:

Celebrity.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

people who quote complete posts

Comment

• Tapiola
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        people who quote complete posts

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Ending ordinary sentences with a rising inflexion to make it sound like a question(?)
          AND/OR putting "like" wherever there would be a comma in the sentence were it to be written down!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Rolling TV news...a bulletin every few hours should suffice.

Comment

• Don Petter

Dogs and caravans are both givens, but, as on another thread - 'Muzak' anywhere (particularly in eating establishments).

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Management Speak or is it managementspeak?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Use of the letter Z when S would suffice: eg Revolutionize; and of "-or" rather than "-er" at the end of certain words: eg Advisor.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Management Speak or is it managementspeak?
                    OK we'll avoid that going forward...

Couldn't agree more. Ground my teeth at a heinous example in a meeting this lunchtime
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Endlessly repeated security announcements on the railways. (My local station is unmanned, yet the announcement coyly says 'If you see anything suspicious, please tell a member of staff'.)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Endlessly repeated security announcements on the railways. (My local station is unmanned, yet the announcement coyly says 'If you see anything suspicious, please tell a member of staff'.)
                        The on-train message on First Great Western adds "or a policeman"

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Various people who either knock at the door or ask on line if I have five minutes to answer questions about various things. I HAVEN'T. Grrr.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Dog owners (walkers) who don't clean up their animals.Makes me so angry.

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Ahem...

People who ask me whether I have a less fattening centre.

Mario

Comment

Working...
                              X