• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A Very Special Voice OSCAR NATZKA 1912 - 1951

This very great bass sang at the RAH in short song recitals as part of several Proms. He was born in New Zealand and his German father died when Oscar was 15, when he had to leave school and work as a labourer. He later became a blacksmith, building up his muscles and stamina which helped his future career.

I discovered a little book about him years ago,complete with a CD giving examples of the roles he played in opera.

My recording is from www.atollcd.com no ACD801, but am afraid it may not still be available.

Does anybody remember him and do you have memories of a singer not much heard of today?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

not at all salymap but you prompted a youtube look and here he is ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

and here is the other youtube clip, only two i can see

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks Calum, I particularly remember him singing Osmin's Aria in English, 'When a maiden takes your fancy'
        He had a great sense of humour and 'Deeper and Deeper Still' ? composer ? was very deep indeed, but he never sounded strained like some basses. Of course, your recording from 1939 shows its age.I couldn't copy out more of my booklet on him but he certainly sang at the ROH .

Comment

Working...
        X