Does your "other half" share your tastes in music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    Well, either way, I suppose. Do you share your other half's taste in music?

Do you listen together, or usually separately?

Please give examples (without causing domestic friction of course.)

HS
    My other ... er, three-quarters ... can't stand Bruckner and adores Cliff Richard and Neil Diamond.

We both used to like the Clyde Valley Stompers, though ...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

I do most of my listening via headphones (or i-pod whilst walking the dog) as Mrs ER prefers to watch telly.
      She is more of a 100 best ever classical tunes boxed set person (although she "doesn't mind" Brahms!).
      I have dragged her off to one or two concerts over the years (including a Mahler 2 many years ago which she described as "painful" and a Death in Venice "thank heavens that's over my head hurts")
      On the other hand I have returned the favour and begrudgingly been to see Rod Stewart and The Beautiful South amongst others.
      We do however share a love of the Eagles,Earth Wind and Fire and and Barry White.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        I have dragged her off to one or two concerts over the years (including a Mahler 2 many years ago which she described as "painful" and a Death in Venice "thank heavens that's over my head hurts")
        What an intelligent and perceptive lady. I'm sure I'd like her.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
          What an intelligent and perceptive lady. I'm sure I'd like her.
          Easy, tiger!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Well Mrs Flay likes her Radio 1. She has it on as background whenever she can, and her favourite is Chris Moyles in the mornings. She doesn't like "classical" although has been to a couple of concerts with me. Like EdgeleyRob's Death in Venice faux pas, I took her to see Peter Grimes - she still smarts about it (she found an excuse to spend an act in the bar!) So I use the ipod via headphones on long car journeys, or in the garden, or walking the dogs. She forever complains that I'm "plugged in" and ignoring her. As if...

So most of us have disparate "others" - perhaps that is why we are posting here. God help our marriages if ff sets up a FoR3 dating agency
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

We go everywhere together. She even humours me by pretending to enjoy Parsifal. (Next up Mariinsky/Gergiev at Barbican in April). She dislikes it when I play recordings of "screeching" sopranos late in the evening. She has insisted on booking to see Andris Nelsons conducting Jonas Kaufmann in Birmingham in April, I suspect, because she fancies both men, a longish midweek drive but it looks like a good concert. Closer to home, on Wednesday this week she has booked us in to see the Scottish folk band Breabach at the Wiltshire music Centre. I don't know if the men involved are hunky but they were highly praised in the Indie.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

After reading most of these posts, I'm just glad I live alone!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Me too or, "me too" - though I'm sure a happy marriage or partnership has its consolations...?

As a committed commitment-phobe (sex was the easy bit, right?) I think music, or rather my need for it, was one of the main reasons I ended up with cats rather than people. Mind you, my 90 year-old live-in mother (former amateur-orchestra violinist) loves classical too, and the bigger and louder the better, so no wonder we get on. My cooking helps of course.

The cats? Largely indifferent to music...
                  Our new young rescue cat "watches" stereo imagery but the music seems to bore her.
                  Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Me too or, "me too" - though I'm sure a happy marriage or partnership has its consolations...?

As a committed commitment-phobe (sex was the easy bit, right?) I think music, or rather my need for it, was one of the main reasons I ended up with cats rather than people. Mind you, my 90 year-old live-in mother (former amateur-orchestra violinist) loves classical too, and the bigger and louder the better, so no wonder we get on. My cooking helps of course.

The cats? Largely indifferent to music...
                    Our new young rescue cat "watches" stereo imagery but the music seems to bore her.
                    Yes, this thread is very interesting and makes we singletons see the good side of living alone.

Thinks, it would be nice to have an attractive older man who is computer literate and would take me shopping, next door. For friendship only these days, of course. And loving music too, of course.
                    Last edited by salymap; 21-02-12, 09:01.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      Yes, this thread is very interesting and makes we singletons see the good side of living alone.

Thinks, it would be nice to have an attractive older man who is computer literate and would take me shopping, next door. For friendship only these days, of course. And loving music too, of course.
                      Unfortunately, a good twelve miles separates us, saly!

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

And my cycling days are over too S-A.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Come off it let Karlheinz bring you together

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

No longer wondering who's buying all these iPods, iThis and iThat and expensive headsets.
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              She has insisted on booking to see Andris Nelsons conducting Jonas Kaufmann in Birmingham in April, I suspect, because she fancies both men...
                              The CBSO & Jonas Kaufmann perform under Nelsons at Symphony Hall on Wed 7 March & are then on a European tour with JK for the rest of the month.

Might Mrs G be a teeny weeny bit cross if you turn up in Birmingham a month late?

Comment

• Rumbaba

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                                Well, either way, I suppose. Do you share your other half's taste in music?

Do you listen together, or usually separately?

Please give examples (without causing domestic friction of course.)

HS
                                Some but not all. She hates Captain Beefheart and Tom Waits and only likes jazz that 'has a tune' (also hates drum and bass solos - I'm not that keen either TBH). However, after seeing my Billy Jenkins DVD, she wishes she had come to the Sourhbank with me to see him performing with the BBC big band at the London Jazz Festival but only because he is such a great laugh.

I can only listen to my recently aquired vinyl copy of 'Lick my decals off, Baby' when she is out of the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X