Does your "other half" share your tastes in music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    The CBSO & Jonas Kaufmann perform under Nelsons at Symphony Hall on Wed 7 March & are then on a European tour with JK for the rest of the month.

Might Mrs G be a teeny weeny bit cross if you turn up in Birmingham a month late?
    A valid point. Being German, luckily Frau G is more efficient than me. I've just checked our calendar where she has entered it correctly.

As far as I can remember, we have over years only twice forgotten to attend concerts we had booked for: once was Theo Adam doing Winterreise in Leipzig about 40 years ago and more recently a Robert King baroque vocal concert quite nearby in Devises. Soon after that he was sent to prison.

Comment

• handsomefortune

forgotten to attend concerts we had booked for

the thing i notice about forward planning, and paying in advance having seen stuff on websites, is that during the night a panic attack is sometimes experienced as to dates. by morning, i'm often convinced i've missed an event entirely, according to the ticket price..... zoe rahman tickets were pricey - i've already had to rush downstairs at dawn, to fondle the tickets, and re-check the performance date. this is a performance that mr is bound to enjoy ... as rahman is gorgeous looking as well as a talented performer...i might wear an eye mask, (empty) cigarrette holder, and take my trusty opera/race course binoculars along ... the instruction manual of which is highly entertaining, including illustrations. useful in the interval, as we wont be able to afford boooze/soft drinks as well as a seat. probably a good thing to be more resourceful in this sense ..... maybe i'll take my hip flask too!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rumbaba View Post
        Some but not all. She hates Captain Beefheart and Tom Waits and only likes jazz that 'has a tune' (also hates drum and bass solos - I'm not that keen either TBH). However, after seeing my Billy Jenkins DVD, she wishes she had come to the Sourhbank with me to see him performing with the BBC big band at the London Jazz Festival but only because he is such a great laugh.

I can only listen to my recently aquired vinyl copy of 'Lick my decals off, Baby' when she is out of the house.
        beefheart is stictly "in the car on my own" territory for me !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

And in these days of increasingly multi generational households, there is the issue of the taste of other people around the place !!
          One member of my household makes his initial musical assessment on the approximate century of the piece.

Anything earlier than the most recent quarter century receives unfavourable reviews, as a rule !!
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            And in these days of increasingly multi generational households, there is the issue of the taste of other people around the place !!
            One member of my household makes his initial musical assessment on the approximate century of the piece.

Anything earlier than the most recent quarter century receives unfavourable reviews, as a rule !!
            He can stuff it!

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

Yes, and to an extent for which I am most grateful. I think her top three classical genres are Russian music, big choral/orchestral pieces and (more recently) chamber music. She greatly prefers the live experience over recordings: that said, she has been deeply moved by opera in the cinema and even on DVD.

A cappella choral music doesn't come very high up her hit parade which is rather a pity as I do quite a lot of that. Of course she likes some music which bores me stiff (Norah Jones) and I like some to which she is indifferent (e.g. modern jazz) but there is more than enough overlap, I'm delighted to say.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Yes, mine does to and yes to a certain extent! There's some of the mnore 'outoftheway' music she doesn't care for!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pmartel
                  • Mar 2007

Mostly my partner and I like the same thing especially when it comes to Baroque and early music.

He draws the line and Wagner and says that if we go to Bayreuth, I can go to the festival and he goes to the art gallery and museums.

Last year for my birthday, he got tickets to my first American orchestra concert, the Cleveland Orchestra.

A program of Richard Strauss and Mozart. Row K, orchestra.

BTW Severance Hall is an incredible Art Deco building, sumptuous interior lobby and GORGEOUS acoustics

Comment

Working...
                  X