Does your "other half" share your tastes in music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    • Jun 2024

Does your "other half" share your tastes in music?

Well, either way, I suppose. Do you share your other half's taste in music?

Do you listen together, or usually separately?

Please give examples (without causing domestic friction of course.)

HS
  • Lateralthinking1

My other half is the planet. Its future is inextricably linked to mine.

I won't have any role in its downfall. Purely by fate, that will happen when I hit the ground.

It really needs to be good to me. Currently I'm not liking the mood music.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

My other half had a Collaro Microgram in his tiny bedsit, and a dozen LPs including Richter's incomparable performance of Schumann's Fantasiestucke. It was a very small room, but the music sounded great.
      That was in 1961, and things have grown a bit since then, but the Schumann is still on the shelf in both LP and CD format, along with many many more. I'm probably the more intensive listener, and certainly the most avid collector, but we have both introduced each other to music that we might not otherwise have explored. I probably would not have learned to love Mozart, and he would not have considered Shostakovich, to name a couple of extremes!
      I occasionally go to concerts alone, but it feels different somehow, although I'm the only one who proms in the Arena, due to the fact that our limbs are getting creakier and he's chickened out.

There is no longer any useable shelf space, and there have been a few minor tussles where my expansionist ambitions are concerned, it is really a bit like living in a record library, but so far domestic peace has reigned.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I think you should answer first, but anyway....my late 'other half' and I shared much of our musical tastes, although he was a much better musician than I. However he introduced me to the world of [mainly]
        English songs, which today seem more performed than they were 40 years ago. We listened together of course.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

I won't have any role in its downfall. Purely by fate, that will happen when I hit the ground.

It really needs to be good to me. Currently I'm not liking the mood music.
          So the answer is "No" then.

Or is it "Don't know"?

HS (I think. I'll ask my other half)

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

When we both listen to 4'33 by Cage, it's great. Otherwise, it's strictly headphones.

Make mine a no.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

To be honest no, probably 95% of the time. She's also keener on silence than I am and there are certain CDs which are definitely for my ears only.

Comment

• handsomefortune

When we both listen to 4'33 by Cage, it's great. Otherwise, it's strictly headphones.

Make mine a no.

recently i'm finding your posts have been very funny lat - including this one! message 1 is obviously tough on single people - do you have a pet at all who might suffice for an answer to this thread!?

anywaysup, no, me and mr don't like the same music ...but occasionally converge. i'm not sure if we do intently 'listen together' that much, other than at a live performance.

mind you, if he doesn't like something i like alot, i always find a couple of weeks starvation helps him change his mind

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Lady Gould hates classical, or as she calls it "church" music - so I listen alone mostly on long walks with my earphones or in the study as I work.......If we share anything it's a love of Paul Simon and I have grown to appreciate Pink Floyd who can of course be played full volume all around the house!!!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

We did go to hear Gruppen at the proms for our wedding anniversary
                    So I guess the answer is (mostly) yes

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

I won't have any role in its downfall.
                      That last is a big claim to make, especially without backing it up with corroborative evidence, surely?...

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

No me and my partner are almost complete musical opposites, as he likes 'Dance Music' (chart), Bjork (which I can occasionally tolerate), R & B (which I can't abide) and anything elso new out of the mass produced pop music line, though there are some occasional quirky Scandinavian things he listens to which are difficult to pigeon hole and which sometimes catch my ear and make me listen. Mind you he's a lot younger than me so he may come to appreciate things more, he likes some P Glass and Reich, actually enjoyed a Beethoven Piano Sonata (on sky arts I was listening to) and the Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet (not just the famous bit either), so hope isn't all lost.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... not really. And when I first got to know her, the future Mme Vinteuil was concerned that her lack of serious interest in classical music (she was deeply into Dusty Springfield at the time... ) might generate difficulties in the relationship; but my pa was a seriously committed early music man - and my ma had no interest in music at all - and they had, all things considered, a very good relationship.

The only time it's a bit of an issue is on car journeys. She prefers silence; sometimes I wd like some music. I'm getting to enjoy silence...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Apart from heavy metal, which she liked, my ex and I concurred musical tastewise on practically everything.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

Now that she is gone....I can get the Anthony Braxton out again....unfortunately on vinyl with no deck....
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X