X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born
    • Jun 2024

Elgar Choral Works

Having listened to, and enjoyed, 'The Music Makers' yesterday afternoon, I thought it was time I had a recording of this and similar works by Sir Edward. I'm thinking of investing in the 6-CD set conducted by Boult on EMI 3679312. Do other Forum members have any views on this set? Are texts included? Thank you!
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Having listened to, and enjoyed, 'The Music Makers' yesterday afternoon, I thought it was time I had a recording of this and similar works by Sir Edward. I'm thinking of investing in the 6-CD set conducted by Boult on EMI 3679312. Do other Forum members have any views on this set? Are texts included? Thank you!
    Boult's Kingdom is utterly marvellous, I think. The Apostles is not far behind, and nobody to my ears has made a more touching and moving recording of The Music Makers. Opinions seem to be more divided about the performance of Gerontius, though I think there's a lot about it that is impressive and powerful, not least Robert Lloyd (and Boult's conducting). But as a whole the set is a tremendous bargain - I wouldn't hesitate.

There's aren't any texts included, but all the vocal scores (apart from the Coronation Ode) are available free online at imslp.org.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I think I'd agree with the above. For me Boult's Gerontius is marred for me by Helen Watts' Angel, but Boult's direction is quite superb. Boult's Kingdom is one of my Desert Island recordings, and his Apostles is good too, though I have a problem with Sheila Armstrong on disc. Ledger's Coronation Ode simply could not be bettered. The Music Makers is probably the best available despite some slightly suspect choral singing.

Co-incidentally, I've just booked tickets for the Halle/Elder Apostles on 5th May. A CD of this performance is planned. I like the Hickox version of this one too.
      Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 21-02-12, 17:26.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Thank you - I shall proceed!

Comment

Working...
        X