• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Quite. Quantitive easing is a huge LIE.

As you said, stimulate the economy by putting it into places where it gets circulated fast...like the pockets of ordinary people.
    indeed
    if you give people "invisible" money (tax breaks, lower NI etc etc ) they simply won't do anything with it
    if you give people cash, they will save some, spend some and it will move around , which is (forgive me if this is naive ) what I thought we needed to happen ???
    rich institutions are rich because they hold on to their money !

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      No we shouldn't (sometimes the threads on here are too intellectual for me, but this one was easy because I knew the answer). #4

As they ask on the AA thread - explain, please.
      Well, it made me smile
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
        In my book, they certainly should. Nothing last year, nothing this year, possibly 1% next year and the year after.
        Depends what it's 1% of. I have very little against the people who work for very modest salaries in banks. OTOH someone on £1million with a 1% increase would be at least (notionally) £10k per year better off. OK there are perhaps relatively few people in full time employment who earn only £10k per year, but I'm sure there are some earning under £20k per year who are doing fantastic jobs looking after difficult people etc. I'm not just writing about unqualified people either. A lot of graduates from recent years are unemployed, or working for peanuts. Society as a whole is valuing the wrong people, or at least very much over valuing some and very much under valuing others.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Depends what it's 1% of. I have very little against the people who work for very modest salaries in banks. OTOH someone on £1million with a 1% increase would be at least (notionally) £10k per year better off. OK there are perhaps relatively few people in full time employment who earn only £10k per year, but I'm sure there are some earning under £20k per year who are doing fantastic jobs looking after difficult people etc. I'm not just writing about unqualified people either. A lot of graduates from recent years are unemployed, or working for peanuts. Society as a whole is valuing the wrong people, or at least very much over valuing some and very much under valuing others.

I take your point, but I think you'll find the vast majority of public sector workers are earning very much less than a million. In the office where I work, where there are many graduates, the average salary is less than £20k. And as you kindly point out, we all do fantastic jobs looking after difficult people.

We are all greatly heartened when we hear Messrs Cameron and Osborne say that we're all in it together. The difference is, we're in it up to our necks, whereas they have hardly got their feet wet.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Please answer. (Note the full stop.)
            Come on, Beef Oven. Perish the thought that you are dodging the question.......
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
              I take your point, but I think you'll find the vast majority of public sector workers are earning very much less than a million. In the office where I work, where there are many graduates, the average salary is less than £20k. And as you kindly point out, we all do fantastic jobs looking after difficult people.

We are all greatly heartened when we hear Messrs Cameron and Osborne say that we're all in it together. The difference is, we're in it up to our necks, whereas they have hardly got their feet wet.
              I think my point was that i don't even think allowing the rich bankers a measly 1% increase could be justified as long as there are people down at the bottom doing, in some cases at least, very valuable (though clearly not financially) work. I'd not give them anything until there's much more appreciation of what other workers are doing.
              Last edited by Dave2002; 24-02-12, 15:03. Reason: Typos

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I think my point was that i don't even think allowing the rich bankers a measly 1% increase could be justified as long as there are people down at the bottom doing, in some cases at least, very valuabSle (though clearly not financially) work. I'd not give them anything until there's much more appreciation of what other workers are doing.

Sorry if I misunderstood. I'm in complete agreement with the quote here.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

"Should we still bash the bankers?"

Er.. we haven't even started doing this yet!

3VS

Comment

• handsomefortune

we haven't even started doing this yet!

well quite 3vs! we had a 'victim' recently, took away his title ....but other than that nowt.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

But not the money he made off with.

Comment

• handsomefortune

typically!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          But not the money he made off with.
                          Quite - I think had he not trousered so big a payoff he would still have his knighthood.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I thought the idea of the Bailout was that they paid the money back in the end. Rather than paying each other!

3VS

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                              I thought the idea of the Bailout was that they paid the money back in the end. Rather than paying each other!

3VS
                              Whoever gave you that idea?

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post

3VS
                                You mean like Northern Rock being sold off at a socking loss!

Comment

Working...
                                X