X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

HUZZAH!!!

But what is your position on foie gras, ammy?

Incidentally, I post reluctantly since this thread is plainly just another example of Simonesque sh*t-stirring...
    I've sat next to a farmer in the Perigord as she sat on her stool and was mobbed by her geese to be next in line for the funnel-fulla-corn treatment. Thry loved it!

i can't afford foie gras but I'm delighted when an opportunity to eat it presents itself. It goes very well with good sweet wine and good bread, or toasted brioche, and a nice walnutty salad.

It's a very French product I think, but why the British who excel at offal products like haggis, black pudding, sausages, hazlett, savoury duck, faggots should get upset about it is a bafflement. Perhaps it's only Southerners who protest? Oh no, Simon's not a Southerner, is he

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I too was reluctant, but I think half-term is now finished?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        haggis, black pudding, sausages, hazlett, savoury duck, faggots
        By 'Eck Gladys, next you'll be extolling t'virtues o' chitterlings!

Comment

• amateur51

By 'Eck Gladys, next you'll be extolling t'virtues o' chitterlings!
          Oddly enough they're a regular item on a very nifty Szechuan resto just up the road - handsome!

They really do use ALL of a beast - beef tendon is cooked very slowly until blissfully gelatinous & it is rather special

Comment

• Anna

They really do use ALL of a beast
            Exactly, why kill and throw half of it away? No other nation does, look at all those lovely salamis. My beloved Nan loved pigs' trotters and bath chaps (Oo, I say!) not them kind of Chaps from Bath! Pig's cheeks!
            Edit: We have de-railed Simon's thread!

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

savoury duck
              good lord, but these threads are educational. Had never heard this expression before (altho' I come from a county which prides itself on its faggots... ).

'Savoury ducks' would seem to bear about as much resemblance to real ducks [anatidae] as do 'Bombay ducks'*!

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay_duck

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                good lord, but these threads are educational. Had never heard this expression before (altho' I come from a county which prides itself on its faggots... ).

'Savoury ducks' would seem to bear about as much resemblance to real ducks [anatidae] as do 'Bombay ducks'!
                delicious fried with bacon, but I don't know where you'd get them these days - Wrexham's butchers' market in the 1960s was a certain source, but now ..?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I've sat next to a farmer in the Perigord as she sat on her stool and was mobbed by her geese to be next in line for the funnel-fulla-corn treatment. Thry loved it!

i can't afford foie gras but I'm delighted when an opportunity to eat it presents itself. It goes very well with good sweet wine and good bread, or toasted brioche, and a nice walnutty salad.

It's a very French product I think, but why the British who excel at offal products like haggis, black pudding, sausages, hazlett, savoury duck, faggots should get upset about it is a bafflement. Perhaps it's only Southerners who protest? Oh no, Simon's not a Southerner, is he
                  Very interesting, ammy, thanks. I've long thought that there was more to it than the simplistic propaganda with which we have been force-fed. I completely agree that the barbaric treatment of pigs &c. abroad might be a greater evil from which corporate interest could well have an interest in deflecting attention.

Savoury duck is a new one on me too, vinjaune... How kaleidoscopic is the world of offal, faggots and rissoles
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Savoury duck is a new one on me too, vinjaune... How kaleidoscopic is the world of offal, faggots and rissoles
                    Savoury ducks, just a Northern term for a simple faggot. My independent butcher has had his faggots awarded Gold Awards in annual South Wales competitons. He sells them at a mere 55p each. My goodness, you could feed a family of four for a fortnight for less than the cost of a Scratch Card! Actually, they are very good, possibly not for those of a nervous disposition who dislike strong flavours.
                    Edit: Actually I am roasting pork at the mo! The Pig. An all purpose animal!
                    Last edited by Guest; 19-02-12, 15:47.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

I knighthood for Fergus methinks

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Savoury ducks, just a Northern term for a simple faggot.
                        I was going to say that I thought 'savoury duck' was a synonym for 'faggots', so glad to have it confirmed by Anna. I haven't had them for years - just not known here. Lardy cake is another wonderful thing using pig products.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          I knighthood for Fergus methinks
                          I'd post the fillum of him cooking (and eating) a pig's head but I suspect I might get sent down to the basement

If I were Queenie, I'd make him a Companion of Honour rather than a Knight - and insist that he should bring some toothsome viandes for the next do!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

This might be of interest to some of you

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Sorry folks. Totally opposed to foie gras. Not going to rationalize it. Just anti.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Q. How can you tell if someone is a vegan?
                                A. They'll tell you.

Comment

Working...
                                X