X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Sep 2024

The GREAT News thread!

My last attempt to cheer everybody up when I posted about a corrupt official didn't last. (I'm not sure why, as most people I knew were absolutely delighted!)

But this story is even better. It's great news as opposed to just good news!

An award winning butcher at Selfridges, the department store, has been marched out of the building afer being filmed selling 'under the counter' foie gras to customers if they used the codename "French fillet".

The excuses and comments by this vile man and one of his supporters are almost unbelievable! I wish I'd been there to jeer at him, although he appears not to be at all ashamed.

Major credit to Selfridges and to the Evening Standard of this one. There can be no place in a civilised society for the blatant mistreatment of animals and birds for profit.

I know that not everyone can afford free-range, properly-reared or organic food, and so factory farming is unlikely to disappear just yet, but this is a different thing entirely.

To buy it, one would have to be not only wealthy, but completely uncaring as to the cruelty committed on the creatures involved. Nobody needs to buy it in order to survive.

May I suggest that everyone emails Selfridges to say "well done!" ?

bws to all S-S!
  • Don Petter

And throw away all your North Face anoraks (as soon as it gets a bit warmer, of course).

Comment

• amateur51

A friend from Paris came over to celebrate my 60th birthday recently and brought with her some foie gras and a very nice bottle of Barsac, Ch. Coutet 1998.

I greatly appreciated her generosity and so did all those who ate the meal at which this was the delicious starter.

I've made clear my position on foie gras production before so I'll not rehearse it again.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Well, I don't have particularly strong views one way or the other on Foie Gras. If I could afford it, I would at least like to try some to see what all the fuss is about. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ider-foie-gras

I think Mr O'Shea was a bit silly to sell the stuff in Selfridges when the policy of that store was not to. Now his customers will just buy it from his Brussels store or other London stockists, or very easily via the web- http://www.marketquarter.com/pages/h...oose-foie-gras -so Selfridge's action, like so many of these sort of gestures, won't really make any difference in the larger scale of things.

By the way, I have no idea what the problem is with North Face anoraks, and I also have no idea of amateur's views on Foie Gras.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

So much for the Profs so called "freedoms" then
          wanting to BAN something ?????
          what lefty nonsense

the problem with foie gras is that it tastes delicious

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            By the way, I have no idea what the problem is with North Face anoraks.
            They are apparently also stuffed full - of feathers from the very same geese! (See today's Sunday Times)

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

The only answer is to be vegan.

I rather agree with Mr Pee

(I thought I'd better let you have a chance to recover from the shock)

Mr O'Shea was more than a bit silly, he was remarkably stupid to sell the stuff when Selfridges had banned it (whatever one might think about the merits of the ban). There were surely other ways to supply his customers. I suspect that he rather enjoyed the 'cloak & dagger' aspect. But the way Selfridges dealt with it was also absurd. Simply telling him his contract was terminated would have been sufficient; I suspect they also wanted to make a big statement & gain as much publicity as possible.

In the article he's quoted as saying that he wouldn't open a shop in Dubai (I think it was) because he didn't approve of the halal slaughter methods. Since a substantial percentage of Selfridges' customers is Jewish (at least, it used to be) I wonder how he feels about kosher slaughter methods, which are basically the same as halal?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                They are apparently also stuffed full - of feathers from the very same geese! (See today's Sunday Times)
                Sunday Times, eh? Mr Pee'll like that - he reads the Sunday Times

Comment

• Anna

I'm not sure why Simon started this thread, or what reacton he was expecting. It's hardly great news is it? Mr. O'Shea has been foolish because he knew Selfridges' policy, it wasn't as if he was dealing crack cocaine, merely a product which is not illegal and which the store decided not to sell anymore. I assume he thought it was a bit of fun dealing with under the counter offal.

I would rather people got agitated about the very cruel rearing of pigs in some EU countries which do not comply to guidelines, are flooding the UK with cheap pig meat and driving British pig farmers out of business.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    I'm not sure why Simon started this thread, or what reacton he was expecting. It's hardly great news is it? Mr. O'Shea has been foolish because he knew Selfridges' policy, it wasn't as if he was dealing crack cocaine, merely a product which is not illegal and which the store decided not to sell anymore. I assume he thought it was a bit of fun dealing with under the counter offal.

I would rather people got agitated about the very cruel rearing of pigs in some EU countries which do not comply to guidelines, are flooding the UK with cheap pig meat and driving British pig farmers out of business.
                    Hear hear, Anna! This is a frequent topic on Farming Today, my favourite way to float gently into conciousness each day

Eat Pork, Eat British I say -- oink oink!!

Love pork products, me

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Hear hear, Anna! This is a frequent topic on Farming Today, my favourite way to float gently into conciousness each day

Love pork products, me
                      And Pink veal yummmmmmmm

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        And Pink veal yummmmmmmm
                        Farming Today has covered rosé veal too, Mr GG.

No wonder I'm always hungry first thing

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          And Pink veal yummmmmmmm
                          Nothing wrong with it. Pink veal in the UK is from calves raised on farms in association with the UK RSPCA's Freedom Food programme. The old fashioned, cruel way, of raising veal was outlawed in the UK a long time ago. Unfortunately the public still think of those awful veal crates .... Basically, in a dairy herd you don't want the bull calves, so choice is - shoot them at birth or rear them humanely .... at least farmers then get an income from them. And yes Ams, support British farmers! And keep listening to Farming Today!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Love pork products, me

HUZZAH!!!

But what is your position on foie gras, ammy?

Incidentally, I post reluctantly since this thread is plainly just another example of Simonesque sh*t-stirring...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Incidentally, I post reluctantly since this thread is plainly just another example of Simonesque sh*t-stirring...
                              I too was reluctant, but I think half-term is now finished?

Comment

Working...
                              X