The chloroplast volcano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon

No spring yet. Not even the hint of it in the air.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Certainly was last Thursday?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Segilla
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        caroline lucas very good on Any Questions last night....
        Has anyone ever seen or know the name of a different spokes'n for the Green Party?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          No spring yet. Not even the hint of it in the air.
          Oh, here, heavily pregnant ewes ready to drop, willow and poplar trees bursting forth. Primroses, daffs.

I love moss and lichen, but if anyone can post how to get rid of it, on paths, ecologically friendly, I would be interested.

Comment

• umslopogaas
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Oh, here, heavily pregnant ewes ready to drop, willow and poplar trees bursting forth. Primroses, daffs.

I love moss and lichen, but if anyone can post how to get rid of it, on paths, ecologically friendly, I would be interested.
            Not sure how ecologically friendly you want to be, but I just scrubbed some slippery flagstones quite successfully using 'Jeyes:Jeyes Fluid Path and Patio Cleaner'. This contains <5% nonionic surfactants, which I think are basically detergents. I'm not particularly enviro-sensitive, but that sounds OK to me and it did the trick. Bought in my local Homebase. Only for use on non-living surfaces though, if you want to get rid of moss and lichen out of grass, get back to me, we have other tricks. I have used an iron-containing chemical to get rid of moss in lawns, with reasonable results, but I dont have any left, so will have to go back to Homebase and see if its still on the shelf.

By the way, take care, after I had destroyed all the moss and lichen in my lawn, there was sadly little left.

By another way, the product I mentioned is marketed with 'Jeyes: Jeyes Fluid Path and Patio Cleaner' on the front label, but on the rear, in small print, you are told: 'This product does not contain Jeyes Fluid.' I think they need some rationalisation of the labels, or perhaps of the company image.

Incidentally, I appreciate that one does not want moss or lichen in the lawn, but pretty much anywhere else, they are harmless and interesting organisms. Here in Devon they are abundant, the tree trunks are covered with lichens and anywhere damp is full of moss (that doesnt include a few dark corners under my stairs, but probably only because light levels are too low for plant growth).

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Segilla View Post
              Has anyone ever seen or know the name of a different spokes'n for the Green Party?
              Ever? Well, there was David Icke.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Ever? Well, there was David Icke.
                There's the spokesperson for the Green Party who's a councillor on the London Assembly, who comes on the local TV lunchtime news on 1, and of course George Monbiot.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Segilla View Post
                  Well people in and around Brighton can hardly have missed Bill Randall's role as one of their spokespersons. Then in London there's Jenny Jones and Darren Johnson. Nationally, in addition to their leader, Caroline, you have Jean Lambert, who is a bit difficult to have missed, and Adrian Ramsey. I must admit though that apart from those who write letters to the local press on behalf of the Green Party, I can't think of any others offhand.

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

Mornin'.

All together now:

Purpuratum floret pratum
                    Sol serenat omnia

(Apologies to the benighted Orff-o-phobes).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Jug-jug-joo-ey (Cuc-koo; Tu-whit-a-woo; Cuc-koo)

(With no apologies to the benighted Britten-o-phobes: TURN THE LIGHT ON, GUYS! )
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Lhude sing cucu! (Well shune, anywaye.)

Comment

• greenilex
                          • Nov 2010

I have just had an emotional experience, singing along to Kathleen Ferrier's "Ombra mai fu" just as my grandmother used to do in her kitchen all those years ago.

Long live that tree!

Comment

• Angle
                            • Dec 2010

Well, there was a ladybird on my car at midday today so it must be S though I have known it snow at Easter.

Ne'er cast a clout ..... but tyhat's another argument.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

natures's wake up [to be followed by a snow event in march april no doubt]
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X