When one irrelevance defends another....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

It's funny that all the republicans that I have met (not sure if that's 16 or 17) all suffer from low self-esteem and have something significantly wrong in their life that they can't come to terms with. I perfectly accept that this could be a mere coincidence, glimpsed from an unrepresentative sample.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

We haven't met Beefy.....but you can add me as no 17 or 18 !!

I seldom meet anybody, who is in favour of the monarchy as a system.
      A majority are perhaps content with the current incumbent as head of state, but otherwise I find most people are very negative.
      (Not my mum , obviously!)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        We haven't met Beefy.....but you can add me as no 17 or 18 !!

I seldom meet anybody, who is in favour of the monarchy as a system.
        A majority are perhaps content with the current incumbent as head of state, but otherwise I find most people are very negative.
        (Not my mum , obviously!)
        Your mum is a lady of high self-esteem who is content with all aspects of her life.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
          Your mum is a lady of high self-esteem who is content with all aspects of her life.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            and we could even dispense with the fetish of the individual and have a collective head of state just like the Swiss .... what would the Brit press do then?
            How does that work, Calum? - sounds a bit like a collective GP practice "I usually see Doctor Kumar ... yes well I'm sure Dr Duffy is very nice but I don't want to have to explain all over .... not until then?! .... oh very well Dr Duffy it is "

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              How does that work, Calum? - sounds a bit like a collective GP practice "I usually see Doctor Kumar ... yes well I'm sure Dr Duffy is very nice but I don't want to have to explain all over .... not until then?! .... oh very well Dr Duffy it is "
              some advice here, Ams
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                and we could even dispense with the fetish of the individual and have a collective head of state just like the Swiss ....
                o the problems caused by the Swiss! François I of France [1494-1547] hit upon the cunning plan of paying off his debts to Switzerland by giving them the honour of being godfather to his next child. His grammarians protested, because Switzerland, as a Republic, being female, could in no construction be a godfather: Francis agreed Switzerland might be godmother. Switzerland had the highest sense of the honour done them, but claimed the right to name the child. Francis agreed, confident that they would hit upon an agreeable name such as François, Henri, or Louis. But the Swiss determined that his child should be called "Shadrach, Mesach, and Abednego". François tried to buy them off; they refused; France declared war on Switzerland...

[see the Menagiana by Gilles Ménage [1613-1692], and Tristram Shandy volume IV chapter XXI ]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Bliss! - there'll be hot buttered toast sprayed all of Mr Pee's telly in HD after that, no doubt

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    o the problems caused by the Swiss! François I of France [1494-1547] hit upon the cunning plan of paying off his debts to Switzerland by giving them the honour of being godfather to his next child. His grammarians protested, because Switzerland, as a Republic, being female, could in no construction be a godfather: Francis agreed Switzerland might be godmother. Switzerland had the highest sense of the honour done them, but claimed the right to name the child. Francis agreed, confident that they would hit upon an agreeable name such as François, Henri, or Louis. But the Swiss determined that his child should be called "Shadrach, Mesach, and Abednego". François tried to buy them off; they refused; France declared war on Switzerland...

[see the Menagiana by Gilles Ménage [1613-1692], and Tristram Shandy volume IV chapter XXI ]
                    Woo-hoo the long-departed Mr HCM Jones never taught me that at skool

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Could this be because a less than attractive case for a republic is the only one that people hear about, scotty?

The good people of Ireland have been living in a republicfor decades now and the last election process was good to watch & they've chosen a cracker, tho it did appear to be touch & go for a while.

If you're constantly tell us we'll be trading in HMQ for President Blair or President Johnson then I wouldn't be surprised at the figues against a republioc that you quote. However make it President Bakewell or President Magnusson and people might think differently
                      The equally good people of the UK don't want any sort of republic, Ams. that's the whole point. Even when the Monarchy was at its lowest ebb not so long ago all polls still showed a healthy majority in favour.

The British people are not Irish, French German or anything else, they are quite happy to be British and keep the monarchy. The others can do what they like.

The very fact that you'd want a president that fits your own political hue demonstrates one huge advantage of at least a nominally-neutral monarchical system, whatever disadvantages it may otherwise possess.

President Bakewell or President Magnusson ... please don't tell me you actually mean Joan or Sally from the BBC ... ?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

I hope the queen will be made to take part in Cameons compulsory parenting classes
                        as she seems to have well and truly f*cked up her children ..............

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          I hope the queen will be made to take part in Cameons compulsory parenting classes
                          as she seems to have well and truly f*cked up her children ..............
                          what goes around comes around

"be nice to the rellies while they are useful to you" seems to be the message.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

work work! no one said anything about working!

a nice Calvinist approach puritan plain that's what is needed

and if i have to be a royalist to be british well i am neither ...
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                              The equally good people of the UK don't want any sort of republic, Ams. that's the whole point. Even when the Monarchy was at its lowest ebb not so long ago all polls still showed a healthy majority in favour.

The British people are not Irish, French German or anything else, they are quite happy to be British and keep the monarchy. The others can do what they like.

The very fact that you'd want a president that fits your own political hue demonstrates one huge advantage of at least a nominally-neutral monarchical system, whatever disadvantages it may otherwise possess.

President Bakewell or President Magnusson ... please don't tell me you actually mean Joan or Sally from the BBC ... ?
                              Rather than Lizzie from the £5 note? - yes please

I'd be very happy to have a non-party-political President, scotty - Julia Unwin from The Joseph Rowntree Foundation or Camila Batmanghelidjh from Kids Company or Farida Anderson from POPS would suit me fine

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                                I've already answered this point scotty - people like you will never pose the question properly, hiding the truth behind ceremonial and counter-intuitive jibber-jabber - why does this sound familiar?

Comment

Working...
                                X