When one irrelevance defends another....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • handsomefortune

Has anybody managed to watch Andrew Marr's series The Diamond Queen so far without a feeling of nausea?

there was a snatch of it discussed on the radio ..... i was both shocked, & nauseus ...is marr (that) desperate, or what?

besides, i was under the impression that ed stourton was shoved off r4 'toady', allegedly in order that ed does the royal stuff, instead of current affairs.....

but now marr's apparently started bowing and scraping too.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

The papers reported that Ed was thrown off "Today" for having too posh a voice. I'm not joking.

Comment

• handsomefortune

either way, both excuses pretty odd lateralthinking1...at this rate who will cover current affairs - justin & sarah, robert peston just popping by for the odd gloat about £/$, all babysat by big daddio john humphries.

not that i listen to 'toady' if i can possibly avoid it.

(though i do enjoy the recent remarkable impersonators of figures such as john humphries etc in r4 extra comedies, such as 'listen against', 'the secret world', and (in the olden days) 'deadringers'. after which, it's pretty impossible to take the style of quite a few r4 presenters, government, or the royal family, at all seriously ...tbh).

Comment

• Simon

Maybe the republicans have a point. Maybe a President would be better. I mean, the Germans have done all right with Herr Wulff.

Ooops. Sorry. Not President anymore.

Ahmadinejad, anyone?

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
            Has anybody managed to watch Andrew Marr's series The Diamond Queen so far without a feeling of nausea?
            Not me, so far, as I don't have a TV - but I imagine several million will have.

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              I mean, the Germans have done all right with Herr Wulff.

Ooops. Sorry. Not President anymore.
              If Wulff was still President that might make a Royalist case. But he isn't.

He's been forced to resign in a corruption scandal. With at least some semblance of not being able to get away with whatever it was (allegedly) he was doing. Prince Andrew, on the other hand, remains "Prince" Andrew.

Comment

• Simon

When was HM every tainted with a corruption scandal?

As for Prince Andrew, I wasn't aware that he, or any other mamber of the Royal Family, has been corruptly working, either to feather their own nest or to the detriment of the country. If you have information, do share it!

Comment

• anotherbob
                  • Sep 2011

Not me, so far, as I don't have a TV - but I imagine several million will have.
                  Repo men been round then.......

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
                    or no signal in the village.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
                      Or thieves...

Comment

• anotherbob
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        or no signal in the village.
                        Not one that a 405 line set will pick up anyway.

Comment

• Simon

I'm so glad to be able to provide you gentlemen with a ready butt for your rapier wit!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            Or thieves...
                            and we all know what's going to happen to them, don't we

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

I'm so glad to be able to provide you gentlemen with a ready butt for your rapier wit!
                              its friday evening, and "all done in the possible taste".

Anyway, we can all chill out and enjoy the Purcell show on the beeb...........oh, sorry Simon.

We'll let you know how it went.

Have a good weekend all !!
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• John Skelton

When was HM every tainted with a corruption scandal?

As for Prince Andrew, I wasn't aware that he, or any other mamber of the Royal Family, has been corruptly working, either to feather their own nest or to the detriment of the country. If you have information, do share it!
                                Well it has been suggested that Prince Andrew hasn't always ... acted as wisely as he might. Admittedly this is in the Trotskyite Daily Mail, but still http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...al-Family.html

Whatever "HM" has or hasn't ever done, the point remains: removing a monarch or getting a monarch to remove her / his self is from extremely difficult to impossible. In the past some of them have been rather damagingly eccentric. You can always chop their head /s off, of course. In fact, do a 'heritage beheading' in C17 costumes, with a Royal Commentator doing a voice over for the DVD, and in terms of tourist and related franchise revenue the country would surely be on to a winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X