• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    Hardly surprising as churches were being burned down, priests murdered, and nuns raped by some on the Republican side. As a successful war general, Franco may have been ruthless in his dealings with the enemy but it was a case of the lesser of two evils as far as the Church was concerned.

The UK had the murderous butcher Stalin as an ally against that other murderous butcher, Hitler.

Sometimes unpalatable decisions have to be made for the greater good.
    That's just the sort of argument the Christian seminary trained Stalin would have used to justify his actions when trying to drag the isolated and surrounded Soviet Union up by its bootstraps and into the 20th Century.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

>>>>'Sometimes unpalatable decisions have to be made for the greater good.'<<<<

....I think....' unpalatable decisions that have been made for the greater good'....would make a very good thread OP title....

....does signing up to Virgin Media come under this category....??
      bong ching

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        >>>>'Sometimes unpalatable decisions have to be made for the greater good.'<<<<

....I think....' unpalatable decisions that have been made for the greater good'....would make a very good thread OP title....

....does signing up to Virgin Media come under this category....??
        No, the lesser unpaltable decision is SKY as you get more sports channels ...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          That's just the sort of argument the Christian seminary trained Stalin would have used to justify his actions when trying to drag the isolated and surrounded Soviet Union up by its bootstraps and into the 20th Century.
          Not at all, it's simply a case of choosing the lesser of two evils ... are you suggesting we should choose the greater one?
          Last edited by Guest; 16-02-12, 12:32. Reason: Shocking English

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            And Hitler did very well in his Catholic school, I recall reading.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Many apologies. Pianorak, it was myself that was being facetious ... . . .
              No, no - the problem is absence of body language and tone of voice. Anyway, all sorted now!
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                And Hitler did very well in his Catholic school, I recall reading.
                Hmmm, don't know anything about the Fuehrer's early schooling, but I recall reading that he wasn't a bad painter, either, and loved classical music.

Some of us have long suspected the artistic community ...

Comment

• amateur51

Hmmm, don't know anything about the Fuehrer's early schooling, but I recall reading that he wasn't a bad painter, either, and loved classical music.

Some of us have long suspected the artistic community ...
                  Well you know how these religious types like to influence the young minds, scotty - before they get stroppy and start asking 'why?', 'how?', etc

Comment

• John Skelton

A quick Google Image search will show that he was indeed a bad painter. An incredibly bad painter .

He was a big classical music fan (not the Emperor's New Clothes modern stuff, of course).

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                      A quick Google Image search will show that he was indeed a bad painter. An incredibly bad painter .

He was a big classical music fan (not the Emperor's New Clothes modern stuff, of course).
                      I'll pass on the painting ...

Yes, he was a great fan of Wagner and Beethoven, I understand ... and his solitary saving grace for me was his apparent love of Bruckner's music ... but I often wonder whether that was mostly because they were both born in the same town?

After all, many Englishmen and women profess to be enthusiastic Elgarians ... but if the same music had been composed by, say, a German or Frenchman/woman? ... oh yes, I do often wonder!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Elgar ? nope never heard of him
                        I always thought it was Spanish for "The Station"

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

As a successful war general, Franco may have been ruthless in his dealings with the enemy
                          I don't think 'ruthless' is quite adequate to describe Franco's regime, both during and after the Civil war.

Yes, [Hitler] was a great fan of Wagner and Beethoven, I understand ... and his solitary saving grace for me was his apparent love of Bruckner's music ...
                          Saving grace?!!

With comments like the above, Scotty, one might begin to wonder about your political views.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I don't think 'ruthless' is quite adequate to describe Franco's regime, both during and after the Civil war.

Saving grace?!!

With comments like the above, Scotty, one might begin to wonder about your political views.
                            Unlike you, Floss, I'm not obsessed with politics ... I was referring to Hitler's music tastes ... I also noted that he adored Wagner ... should I therefore very seriously 'wonder' about your own politics ...?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

It wasn't the fact that he liked Bruckner that made me wondcer about you, but the fact that you believed it was a 'saving grace' - which could be taken as indicating that you believe that a liking for Bruckner compensated for killing millions of people.

I would imagine that Bruckner might be rather embarrased at such a suggestion.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                It wasn't the fact that he liked Bruckner that made me wondcer about you, but the fact that you believed it was a 'saving grace' - which could be taken as indicating that you believe that a liking for Bruckner compensated for killing millions of people.

I would imagine that Bruckner might be rather embarrased at such a suggestion.
                                Story of my life, Floss ... people telling me that they wonder about me ... have they really nothing better to do ... ?

I'd be utterly astonished if anyone else on this forum sincerely believed I actually meant Hitler's liking for Bruckner compensated for killing millions of people, but there you go ... this forum can indeed be very humbling on occasion!

Comment

Working...
                                X