Dawkins Demolished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Skelton

This conversation between Richard Dawkins and Steven Rose is interesting.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      thanks Mr GG and am!

Comment

• scottycelt

I can well understand some atheists being 'embarrassed' by Dawkins in much the same way as some Christians are 'embarrassed' by the actions and words of other Christians.

Dawkins is the almost exact mirror-image of a 'bible-thumper' at Hyde Park Corner. He is on a crusade, a mission, a self-appointed evangelist for atheism.

Nothing much wrong with that, expect that most of us are perfectly capable of making up our own minds about the big questions of life without the need for a censorious bible-thumper or smugly self-regarding Richard Dawkins insisting that they do it for us ...

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          I haven't read The Dawkins Delusion, but if as I imagine it's arguing against the non-existence of God I'd politely suggest that it's impossible for such a work to be "surgical" or "logical".
          It isn't that. It analyses the arguments Dawkins uses and what the author regards as Dawkins' 'Wikipedia knowledge' of some of the other disciplines he ventures into. It points out his wide use of rhetoric rather than rationalism to press his view, and that some of his arguments are identically flawed like those he seeks to destroy. It claims that in scientific fields outside his own area of expertise he blunders; and that he distorts the arguments and beliefs of his opponents.

This doesn't mean that he isn't 'right' but that he is himself too much of a fundamentalist to be a convincing advocate for his cause.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            I can well understand some atheists being 'embarrassed' by Dawkins in much the same way as some Christians are 'embarrassed' by the actions and words of other Christians.
            You mean the ones who actually do what Jesus suggested ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

most of us are perfectly capable of making up our own minds about the big questions of life without the need for a censorious bible-thumper ... insisting that they do it for us ...

But isn't that exactly what you have in the Pope, Scotty?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

..do i get a feeling this might be a touch ad infinitum as well ........................................... eh?

meanwhile this was an eloquent and informed programme on not too far away topics
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post

http://atheistmovies.blogspot.com/20...even-rose.html
                  Many thanks for that. I always enjoyed Rose's lectures and debates.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post

http://atheistmovies.blogspot.com/20...even-rose.html
                    Very interesting, John - many thanks

Nice scarf, Prof Rose

Comment

• amateur51

Dawkins is the almost exact mirror-image of a 'bible-thumper' at Hyde Park Corner. He is on a crusade, a mission, a self-appointed evangelist for atheism.
                      Evangelist for evolution and Darwinism, scotty.

The atheism is a consequence of that

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        But isn't that exactly what you have in the Pope, Scotty?
                        Nope ... I can either regard or disregard whatever comes from Rome by either choosing to remain Catholic or not ... no problem whatsoever. The Pope and Cardinals merely intrepret scripture and teach (which is their job) and It's entirely up to me or anyone else to decide for themselves whether to accept that teaching.

Dawkins wants to ban religion from public life which is a direct assault on free thought and individual freedom of action. He, not the Pope, wants to impose his will on others ... quite different!

On reflection, I may have been a bit unfair on bible-thumpers in carelessly lumping them with Professor Dawkins ...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          ..do i get a feeling this might be a touch ad infinitum as well ........................................... eh?
                          Yes, but dont blame me, Guv, the record shows it's never me that starts such threads ... they are irresistible, though ...

Comment

• amateur51

Nope ... I can either regard or disregard whatever comes from Rome by either choosing to remain Catholic or not ... no problem whatsoever. The Pope and Cardinals merely intrepret scripture and teach (which is their job) and It's entirely up to me or anyone else to decide for themselves whether to accept that teaching.

Dawkins wants to ban religion from public life which is a direct assault on free thought and individual freedom of action. He, not the Pope, wants to impose his will on others ... quite different!

On reflection, I may have been a bit unfair on bible-thumpers in carelessly lumping them with Professor Dawkins ...
                            'Ang on, 'ang on! Prof D does not want to ban anything - he just wants the considerable benefits that the Christian religion has been afforded in our society for centuries to be ended and for creationism to be excluded from the science curriculum.

And I agree with him.
                            Last edited by Guest; 15-02-12, 15:02. Reason: shocking trypos

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Hmm - I've always thought that the Catholic Church's view is 'once a Catholic, always a Catholic', and that there is also a doctrine of 'Papal infalibility'. As far as deciding to accept the Pope's teaching, what about things like contraception? I know many Catholics do use it, but the Pope's instruction is that it's sinful, & it is preached against by priests. If you doubt that, consider this -

"Ignoring the mountain of evidence, some maintain that the Church considers the use of contraception a matter for each married couple to decide according to their "individual conscience." Yet, nothing could be further from the truth. The Church has always maintained the historic Christian teaching that deliberate acts of contraception are always gravely sinful, which means that it is mortally sinful if done with full knowledge and deliberate consent (CCC 1857). This teaching cannot be changed and has been taught by the Church infallibly."
                              http://www.catholic.com/tracts/birth-control (scroll down to the end to find this quote)

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                Hmm - I've always thought that the Catholic Church's view is 'once a Catholic, always a Catholic', and that there is also a doctrine of 'Papal infalibility[sic]'. As far as deciding to accept the Pope's teaching, what about things like contraception? I know many Catholics do use it, but the Pope's instruction is that it's sinful, & it is preached against by priests.
                                I used to believe all the stuff about 'Papal infallibility' until an old flame (a committed Italian RC on the council of her local church in Piacenza) advised that the final arbiter for a Roman Catholic was always their personal conviction, not that of the Pope.

Comment

Working...
                                X