X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Sep 2024

Daily Good News Slot

I thought it would cheer us all up to have a slot where a piece of good news could be posted daily. You know - the sort of thing that can be seen to be good for the country, like illegal immigrants deported, bent politicians unmasked, stupid laws revoked - or even those occasional wonderful stories we hear about rubbish "sculptures" being thrown away by cleaners who saw them quite rightly as rubbish - that was one never to forget, wasn't it! We laughed for days.

So here's today's big cheer: Ali Dizaei has lost his appeal against his earlier conviction. Well done that jury! And the icing on the cake - we shan't be paying his pension either!
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    I thought it would cheer us all up to have a slot where a piece of good news could be posted daily. You know - the sort of thing that can be seen to be good for the country, like illegal immigrants deported, bent politicians unmasked, stupid laws revoked - or even those occasional wonderful stories we hear about rubbish "sculptures" being thrown away by cleaners who saw them quite rightly as rubbish - that was one never to forget, wasn't it! We laughed for days.

So here's today's big cheer: Ali Dizaei has lost his appeal against his earlier conviction. Well done that jury! And the icing on the cake - we shan't be paying his pension either!
    Yes. Pleased that "The Artist" did well at the Baftas. Anthony Davis is being characteristically generous seeing that the arts establishment gave such a predictable, po-faced, knee-jerk, will never sell, reaction, to his idea a decade ago. It effectively predated this winner. The little film was produced with the Harold Lloyd Trust and also had the interest of Lloyd's granddaughter. Apparently, the you-couldn't-get-more-inane-if-you-tried response was that it was "ahead of its time".

'Kiss of Life' is a 25 minute silent film written and produced by comedian Anthony Davis. It pays homage to twenties silent star Harold Lloyd. Starring Anne ...
    Last edited by Guest; 13-02-12, 23:17.

Comment

• John Skelton

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
        "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."
        That will be you then, John Skelton.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

As is so often the case, 'Simon' can't even get the basics of the case right. This was a re-trial, not an appeal. Desai won his appeal when the original verdict was quashed due to the perceived unreliability of his accuser's evidence. Desai's legal team have already announced that they intend to appeal the verdict of this re-trial. On what basis it is not as yet clear to me. For the moment Desai is convicted again.

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            That will be you then, John Skelton.
            No it won't. I contribute to some discussions here and always attempt to do so in a way that engages with the subject being discussed. Most of the time I try to say something about music, since I take that to be the primary purpose of this MB. (I'm wrong, perhaps, in that the primary purpose is music on R3. To that extent I'm away from the board's primary topic too often. I'm not alone in that).

The OP consistently trolled the old BBC boards and does it here. So do you. You decorate your contributions with emoticons, your motivation is unfailingly spiteful, and in terms of anywhere as a community you are both a waste of space.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

Yes. Pleased that "The Artist" did well at the Baftas. Anthony Davis is being characteristically generous seeing that the arts establishment gave such a predictable, po-faced, knee-jerk, will never sell, reaction, to his idea a decade ago. It effectively predated this winner. The little film was produced with the Harold Lloyd Trust and also had the interest of Lloyd's granddaughter. Apparently, the you-couldn't-get-more-inane-if-you-tried response was that it was "ahead of its time".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbBke0v4TQ
              Agreed Lat! Thanks for the link - Rachael thought it was on youtube but I must have mistyped when I tried to find it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

rubbish "sculptures" being thrown away by cleaners who saw them quite rightly as rubbish - that was one never to forget, wasn't it! We laughed for days.
                Well, not much happens in the village, does it.

Comment

• anotherbob
                  • Sep 2011

IIRC the usual advice re. "trolls" is that one should not feed them.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Quite, & this thread is a prime example of 'trollism'.

(but not 'troillism', unless Simon, Mr Pee, & the mysterious Rachael regularly get together to laugh at things they things they don't understand)

Edit: Unconstructive exchange of views between members. Thread closed. ff
                    Last edited by french frank; 14-02-12, 10:40. Reason: As stated in message

Comment

Working...
                    X